LegacyGT.com

Will some handsome Gent help me, please!!!

Hiya,

I'm Mystic Gwen (check out my videos on youtube).

Proud owner of a 99' Outback Legacy limited 2.5 -

Got a code for EGR

Got a code for Camshaft Sensor #4 or 2? The one on the right hand side if you're standing in front of the engine with the hood up - YOUR right.

*Have loud knocking sound at start, idle, stop (not always at stop but more often than not) - always at start.

*Car has stalled in parking lot - 2 times in last week

*YES, HAS OIL.

Replaced EGR - started car - knock still there - sounds JUST like Piston SLAP only is there at stop/idle - constantly - can't hear it at 30 + MPH when in motion.

Went to mechanic - old man, he turned on car - said "that sounds like a rod" - "not good" - then took stethoscope - put it on engine - pointed to where that sensor was (cam shaft) said it was from there - then I said could it just be sensor? He put stethoscope under engine (on oil pan) said "it sounds really loud in the pan".

He said time to buy a new subbie.

Just replaced my old subbie with this one in November, cost me almost 4 grand....

Please advise as to what this might be?

What I can do to test?

Could it just be piston slap even though it's fairly incessant?

If it's the rod - then how long can I drive it?

I'm a single, self employed Mama - (again, see videos!) - but I have to drive 300 miles a week...so....?!?

Also, if it matters- the knock has been there since I left from Bend, Oregon to go home (as in started in Bend)- about 360 miles - to Everett, Wa - so, if it was the Rod wouldn't my engine have blown on that trek?!?

Thanks for your help gentleman.

I'm single, if you're a subbie mechanic in my area maybe we can meet & fall in love?!? Lol....

Thanks!!!!!

:wub::spin::cool::mad::rolleyes::eek::):lol:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has stalled 2 times Sir, do you think that means that it's the cam shaft or would the rod cause that?

My car sounds EXACTLY like this, tho - this is NOT my subbie, BUT please see all the symptoms, codes, repairs, additional info in my 1st reply,

Thanks!!!

The ever present sounds:

IF the cam shaft it's self was bad the timing would be off and all the valves would bend.

If you have rod knock like that in the video i posted the engine would lock up in minutes.

If you have a cam sensor code, Yes the car will stall.

Does the sound go away after 10 - 15 mins of driving? If yes, then it's piston slap and the rings might be wearing. If no, might have a spun bearing.

Doesn't sound like a rod knock to me.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Alright, so - if my subaru is suffering from rod knock (and has been for over a thousand miles...)

***How long do I have until it dies?

***Anyway to extend the life (beyond heavy duty oil?)

***Any symptoms for before it gives? (Other then the knocking)

I went to the autopart store, the men told me I'd be dumb to buy a camshaft 4 sensor (the code it reads)- that my car has "rod knock and it's going to die" - one Gent even went so far as to say "I wouldn't even drive it home.":mad:

I did drive it home & then another 30 + miles...:lol:

Still running like a champ, just a loud mouth one that's embarrassing to be seen in at stop signs & lights....:cool:

Thanks in advance Sirs & Ladies (are there any of you out there?!).:redface:

That's why I mention it sounds more like a spun bearing, you can drive on a spun bearing for a while before it gets worse. The sound will get louder over time when it starts to wear down more.

That's why I mention it sounds more like a spun bearing, you can drive on a spun bearing for a while before it gets worse. The sound will get louder over time when it starts to wear down more.

And how would I go about checking that Sir? Thanks for the help!

The only way is to pull the motor and crack it open. Truth will be told once the motor is out and every internal part is inspected.

Since you have been driving on it for a while, and haven't notice any major issues besides the sound, it's your option to continue to see if it fails, or not.

I'd drive it until it breaks, and then replace the motor with a good used unit. Rebuilding your current motor would cost at least as much as you paid for the car... maybe talk to that old Suby mechanic, and see how much he'd charge you to swap the motor out, if you were to provide a replacement. I bet you could find one for less than two grand.
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Thanks, I could come down there - I'm hoping it's not a whole new motor that's needed.

IF it's the piston would that/could that cause stalling?

Everyone said the camshaft sensor could- that's my concern- stalling - it's happened 3 times, 2 times when I turned on the car and tried to back out of my parking space and 1 time after I was sitting in traffic for 10 mins.

The guys at Autozone are being asses' and ess. saying don't buy the part.

I have time to swap it out today before I go to my kiddo's classroom to volunteer...

Just don't want to throw good money after bad, ya know?!:rolleyes:

It's the cam sensor causing it stall 100%

Don't rule out the wiring harness, spark, coil, lifters,... :hide: it could be simple, but what ever is with these Subies. I read too many threads and posts of issues arise with everyone's thoughts. End results are always hit or miss on everyone opinion without going through the car

Changed the sensor for the cam shaft -

Here is the sound....

It's deep, gutteral...

Scary as __________.

You might want to skip me showing you how to change a sensor and get right to my engine sound - if so start it at 7 min. 30 seconds.

PLEASE USE YOUR EARS TO DIRECT ME OH WISE, ANCIENT, SUBARU MASTERS OF THE FORUM...

Help a girl out.

I'll love you FOREVER if you do!!!:wub::spin::)

Hers is a '99, so probably would need at least a few parts swapped over to run that motor.

I like this option:

http://www.enginesus.com/product/ej2-5-dohc-165-hp-engine-for-96-99-subaru-legacy-2/

Saves big on labor, as it's just a motor swap, and then she can pull the old motor and keep it to rebuild at her leisure.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

lol I would help but the OP is kind of stuck on herself if she thinks that only handsome gents can help her...

piston slap goes away as the car warms up

most likely culprit outside of that is timing belt tensioner sounds JUST LIKE rod knock

lol I would help but the OP is kind of stuck on herself if she thinks that only handsome gents can help her...

piston slap goes away as the car warms up

most likely culprit outside of that is timing belt tensioner sounds JUST LIKE rod knock

Good find, that would be an easy fix over a rebuild motor.

Mystic, use your psychic powers and look into this.

Archived