LegacyGT.com

Extra Key for Sport Model

I have a 2018 sport with keyless push button start and the 'loose your fob you are screwed' feature...lol. I see ‘virgin’ / ‘flashed’ keys on Ebay for $80. The dealer says they get $80 to program a key. Has anyone got a spare of Ebay? Did the programming go well? For $160 it seems worth while having a 3rd fob. I’d next like to find a way to hide it in the car...I know about the programming to temporarily disable the key thing...sorry that’s too complicated. I have heard wrapping the key in foil then in a small can does the trick. Anyone try anything similar?

I know it sounds dumb but if you have ever exited your car out of town, lost your keys etc...you would appreciate having spare hidden inside to start it. (I'd carry the little key thing in my wallet to open the car.)

I have a 2018 sport with keyless push button start and the 'loose your fob you are screwed' feature...lol. I see ‘virgin’ / ‘flashed’ keys on Ebay for $80. The dealer says they get $80 to program a key. Has anyone got a spare of Ebay? Did the programming go well? For $160 it seems worth while having a 3rd fob. I’d next like to find a way to hide it in the car...I know about the programming to temporarily disable the key thing...sorry that’s too complicated. I have heard wrapping the key in foil then in a small can does the trick. Anyone try anything similar?

I know it sounds dumb but if you have ever exited your car out of town, lost your keys etc...you would appreciate having spare hidden inside to start it. (I'd carry the little key thing in my wallet to open the car.)

The only way I found was to take the battery out and tape it to the fob. You'll need to have cut physical key somewhere else on you so you are able to open the door though. The legacy does not have the additional button near the trunk latch that the OB gets where you can set a pin and use that to unlock the doors.

My ‘15 Legacy has the PIN function.

Never needed more than two fobs.

That PIN thing is not a solution. I want to hide a spare fob in the car in case I loose my main fob after I exit the car.

This is the only method I have heard so far:

1) Get new fob (dealer/Ebay...wherever)

2) Have programmed and that little key thing cut

3) Put key thing in wallet

4) Wrap fob in aluminum then in can

*perhaps removing battery helps but will it loose its programming after some time?

5) If you loose your main fob you should still be able to remove key from wallet, get in car (not sure if alarm goes off) find hidden fob, unwrap (perhaps insert battery though I think you can just hold the fob near the button) and away you go.

If there is a better idea...like having a valet fob that can be kept in the car..let me know...don't think so...

My dealer said they get a lot of complaints on this. Further, they pointed out the cost of the keys and said it would be covered under their $3400 3rd party new car warranty program....LOL

the cost of the keys and said it would be covered under their $3400 3rd party new car warranty program....LOL

Umm... I got unlimited windshield and key replacements WITH paint-less dent repair for 5yrs, for WAY less than that price. They're trying to rob you. If you go this route, negotiate please.

That PIN thing is not a solution. I want to hide a spare fob in the car in case I loose my main fob after I exit the car.

This is the only method I have heard so far:

1) Get new fob (dealer/Ebay...wherever)

2) Have programmed and that little key thing cut

3) Put key thing in wallet

4) Wrap fob in aluminum then in can

*perhaps removing battery helps but will it loose its programming after some time?

5) If you loose your main fob you should still be able to remove key from wallet, get in car (not sure if alarm goes off) find hidden fob, unwrap (perhaps insert battery though I think you can just hold the fob near the button) and away you go.

If there is a better idea...like having a valet fob that can be kept in the car..let me know...don't think so...

My dealer said they get a lot of complaints on this. Further, they pointed out the cost of the keys and said it would be covered under their $3400 3rd party new car warranty program....LOL

Once you set up the PIN, you won't need to keep the key in your wallet. You just enter the PIN via trunk button and it will unlock the drivers door.

If you did use your key to unlock the door, yes the alarm will go off and the engine immobilizer will probably also kick in.

the cost of the keys and said it would be covered under their $3400 3rd party new car warranty program....LOL

Umm... I got unlimited windshield and key replacements WITH paint-less dent repair for 5yrs, for WAY less than that price. They're trying to rob you. If you go this route, negotiate please.

but wait you don't understand...they are throwing in 10 oil changes too! And a car wash! LOL

No I am shocked Subaru even lets them sell a 3rd part warranty on a new car. I will buying a Subaru Gold 8/80 zero deductible elsewhere.

The whole PIN thing is a joke. I am not going to go thru that whole process every time I exit the car. My understanding is once you disable the fob so you may lock it in the car..but you cannot start the car again till you re-enable it. I want to hide a spare fob in there...should be my prerogative.

but wait you don't understand...they are throwing in 10 oil changes too! And a car wash! LOL

No I am shocked Subaru even lets them sell a 3rd part warranty on a new car. I will buying a Subaru Gold 8/80 zero deductible elsewhere.

The whole PIN thing is a joke. I am not going to go thru that whole process every time I exit the car. My understanding is once you disable the fob so you may lock it in the car..but you cannot start the car again till you re-enable it. I want to hide a spare fob in there...should be my prerogative.

You don't have to set the PIN every time. You set it once and use it when you loose your fob. Unless you are going to be loosing your fob every time you exit the car, its not that much trouble ;)

Set my pin back in ‘14. Still works fine. When we go swimming it’s nice to just toss the keys in the trunk and not worry about how I am getting back in the car. When we’re done I just punch in the pin.

The PIN thing works well. I left my keys on my desk at work, and went outside for my daily lunch-time walk. I noticed I forgot to put my windshield sun blocker thingy up, so I entered my pin and viola, the car unlocked :)

I wrapped mine in aluminum foil and have left it in the trunk. I do this when I go on trips to amusement parks, etc.

Ok, glad that works. So you throw it in the trunk..are you then able to lock the doors? How do you get back in the car...do you carry that little stubby key thing around with you? Does the alarm go off when you use it?

So with setting the pin, the dealer said there was some sort of disabling of the fob, and then re-enabling of the fob, performed on the fob, you must go thru each time you use the pin...not true?

Once you set a PIN (or when setting the PIN), you will have to disable to fob in order to lock it inside your car. Then re-enable the fob after you're done.

I set my PIN a year ago, used it a few times and really like the functionality. Great for going on a run or to the beach.

Ok, glad that works. So you throw it in the trunk..are you then able to lock the doors? How do you get back in the car...do you carry that little stubby key thing around with you? Does the alarm go off when you use it?

I only do that for an extra key, never the main key. On my new one I can use the Subaru app on my phone to lock it and unlock it.

---

Once you set a PIN (or when setting the PIN), you will have to disable to fob in order to lock it inside your car. Then re-enable the fob after you're done.

I set my PIN a year ago, used it a few times and really like the functionality. Great for going on a run or to the beach.

Yeah it is honestly the safest and most convenient way to go. No chance of losing your key and someone else picking it up and finding your car. If someone breaks into the car and finds the key inside then it still won't start. My guess is that someone who would want to steal a car wouldn't take the time to read the manual (as 90% of people who pay for the car don't even read any of it :lol:). The sequence you use to reactivate the key is not something anyone would ever stumble upon "by chance." If you just have the keys wrapped in foil then all they do is have to find the keys. To be fair, your car isn't likely to be stolen either way but deactivating the fob is definitely the safer option.

Yeah it is honestly the safest and most convenient way to go. No chance of losing your key and someone else picking it up and finding your car. If someone breaks into the car and finds the key inside then it still won't start. My guess is that someone who would want to steal a car wouldn't take the time to read the manual (as 90% of people who pay for the car don't even read any of it :lol:). The sequence you use to reactivate the key is not something anyone would ever stumble upon "by chance." If you just have the keys wrapped in foil then all they do is have to find the keys. To be fair, your car isn't likely to be stolen either way but deactivating the fob is definitely the safer option.

I here you all but I really want to have a spare fob hidden in the car at all times in case I loose my fob after I exit the car. They should have a software update to allow that option. Thanks tho....

I here you all but I really want to have a spare fob hidden in the car at all times in case I loose my fob after I exit the car. They should have a software update to allow that option. Thanks tho....

Buy yourself a wallet chain if you can't keep from losing it. :lol:

916YNYpdpTL._SX342_.jpg

The best way I found to do this is to remove the battery from the key and leave it in the car. If you are in a place where vehicle theft is a problem, put the battery in a different hidden area of the car from the fob.

Since your main concern is with losing the fob after you exit; you can unlock with the PIN and then put the battery back in the spare fob and get going.

I understand what you are saying, but if you did this procedure you wouldn't have the FOB on you in the first place and wouldn't have any chance of losing it - it would be safely locked in your car while you're out and about. :) The procedure to deactivate your key takes less time then wrapping your key in foil, putting it in a metal can, and then hiding it in your trunk. You open your driver door, flip the lock on the door to the lock position and then hold down the lock and trunk buttons on your key for 5 seconds and you're done and ready to go! Same procedure to reactivate your key!

However, If you still want to carry your key around for the exhilarating feeling of possibly losing it at any moment, you can still deactivate the one key, hide it in your trunk and leave it there indefinitely as well all while carrying your active key with you to lose, someone to find on the ground, and take your car with! lol

you can still deactivate the one key, hide it in your trunk and leave it there indefinitely as well all while carrying your active key with you to lose, someone to find on the ground, and take your car with! lol

I don't believe it works that way. At least mine doesn't. When you hold down the lock and trunk buttons, it deactivates the proximity sensor on the car, so neither key would work to unlock by holding the door handle.

Yea...appreciate it but getting in and out should not be such a chore...like the subaru so far...opening the door without taking out the keys is great but the danger of locking the keys in the car and losing access to start it causes me to call BS on this one...

Does your car have push button start?

I never take the fob out of my pocket. Everything is keyless use.

The few times I've had my fob in my jacket pocket and leave the jacket in the car, the car won't let me lock it.

When I want to leave the fob in the car, I unlock the trunk, open my door, hit the door lock, close my door, then toss my key in the trunk.

How often do you lock your keys in the car?

Archived