LegacyGT.com

Considering Selling - 2010 Legacy GT Limited 136,000

So my plan was for my wife to drive the Legacy when I got my Tesla Model 3, but she's not loving driving a manual. So now we aren't sure what we will do. I spoke to the Subaru dealer and they told me it's not worth trading in because dealers don't really want the GT models but that private party value is pretty good.

So I'm curious - what is the best way to go about selling if we do decide to sell? It's a 2010 Legacy GT limited. basically every option available. I also have a spare set of OEM wheels. All weather mats and trunk tray.

I'd say it qualifies as KBB "good condition". Have some pics i could post. but i'm wondering if there's a lot of interest out there for the GTs these days or if it's faded.

I'm mostly just trying to get an idea of value or if it's better off working on getting my wife to drive it since it might be at the point where it's more valuable to us than to sell.

thanks!

I spoke to the Subaru dealer and they told me it's not worth trading in because dealers don't really want the GT models but that private party value is pretty good.

So I'm curious - what is the best way to go about selling if we do decide to sell? It's a 2010 Legacy GT limited. basically every option available. I also have a spare set of OEM wheels. All weather mats and trunk tray.

I don't know what the books say your car is worth, but I would imagine its in the low $10K range. It depends on what the dealer is willing to offer you in for a trade in value and what you think you realistically think can get for your car, based on books and other for sale ads. If it is $1K spread that would not be worth my effort or risk if it doesn't sell, if its a $3k spread its probably worth my time and risk. I have had good luck selling my cars on Craigslist, I have been aiming to get the average between trade and retail price for my cars (asking slightly higher). A couple times I have discussed trade in with the dealer, they have low balled me on the trade in price (notably lower than book trade in value), maybe they were expected me to negotiate that price I don't know.

You can always advertise here, but I am not sure that many potential owners are scouring these boards for 5th Gen Legacy GT's. (I do not think it helps that very few show up FS on this forum). I would definitely use Craigslist. One of my neighbors has had good luck with Facebook market place. Let go is another one. Use the free advertising 1st.

So what "books" do people use? i looked it up on KBB and in "good" condition it's showing as $4200-$5700 trade. private party says $6,600-$8,600 - the dealer i bought it at told me probably $6,000-$7,000 depending on condition and that i should sell it privately. he said it should fetch close to $10,000. i asked on a FB subaru parts group and one guy ripped into me for thinking it could sell for $10,000 (he deleted his comments so not sure if he was just picking a fight or serious).

i was looking for ones for sale and they're hard to find. that's why i figured i'd ask here.

i guess i could post it on FB marketplace and see what the interest is. i figured if it is worth $10,000 - might be worth selling it and getting the wife an automatic (she'd prefer) impreza or outback depending which we like better. if it's worth less than $8,000 though, it's worth more to me to keep it and she'll just have to get used to a MT for 1-2 years before we're ready for a 2nd new car.

So what "books" do people use? i looked it up on KBB and in "good" condition it's showing as $4200-$5700 trade. private party says $6,600-$8,600 - the dealer i bought it at told me probably $6,000-$7,000 depending on condition and that i should sell it privately. he said it should fetch close to $10,000. i asked on a FB subaru parts group and one guy ripped into me for thinking it could sell for $10,000 (he deleted his comments so not sure if he was just picking a fight or serious).

i was looking for ones for sale and they're hard to find. that's why i figured i'd ask here.

i guess i could post it on FB marketplace and see what the interest is. i figured if it is worth $10,000 - might be worth selling it and getting the wife an automatic (she'd prefer) impreza or outback depending which we like better. if it's worth less than $8,000 though, it's worth more to me to keep it and she'll just have to get used to a MT for 1-2 years before we're ready for a 2nd new car.

Why not put it up for trade? You might get less vehicle but still what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I just bought my 2010 Legacy GT Limited privately for $8,500 with 126,000 miles.

It just got a new clutch, timing belt, valves, head gaskets and had a Cobb tuner installed when I bought it.

I think if it's in great shape and you have some goodies with it, I would try and list it for $10,000 and see what happens. I suppose worst thing is you waste some time and keep your car.

Actually the real price is what someone is willing to pay. Different car, but I posted my Miata on eBay for sale and had a guy fly out from California to pick it up in Florida with cash in hand and sight unseen. Why? Because they are so expensive in California. I got my full asking price and he got what he wanted. Might be worth a try to put a classified ad on eBay, Craigslist, OfferUp, FB marketplace and even here in the forums.

Good luck!

---

I usually use NADA for pricing guidance and I watch comparable used vehicles sales for a little while to see what seem to sell. It is a little harder with a car as rare as 5th Gen Legacy GT though, because some locations may have buyers, but they may not be willing to travel.

Laz is right about the pricing. From my economics class an individual sale will only happen if their is buyer willing to pay the price and the seller is willing to sell it for that price. (ie If a buyer is only willing to pay $7k, and your not willing to sell it for less than $10k then a sale will not happen.) In general their is an equilibrium where that happens and that should be around the book value.

Archived