LegacyGT.com

Oil reads high

I have an 05 lgt. I recently did an oil change, and the previous owner suggested 5 quarts since he was using the amsoil oil filter, its larger than a subaru one. The oil read really high on the dipstick. So i was going to let a small amount out. This resulted in another oil change, as it was difficult to try to just let a small amount out. I put in 4 quarts per the manual and i did not change the new filter. Again, the dipstick is reading very high. I only added 4 quarts. I let the oil drain out completely before adding it. I checked the oil awhile after driving too, to let it settle. I find this odd. Any ideas as to why it reads so high ?

I know the exact reason it reads high: you've over filled it. If it's a 4.5 qt job (or whatever). I put in 4, check it, add a little, check it, repeat. That's the only way to know. After you've done this once on your car, you can right down the exact amount it takes for next time. Many people use a Sharpie and write this on the bottom side of the hood.

It's really not that hard to let out just a small amount. Just loosen the plug until it starts draining slowly. Put it in a container where you can see the volume.

Lastly, on your refill measurement, make sure you're consistent on what you do with the oil filer. Since ours is completely inverted, I pre-fill mine to help with start up flow.

Leave it in there, in about a 1000 miles or less it will be down to the full line or below.

I see your new here, read the last part of my sig...

A little over is not a bad thing.

Hey you may want to get a Fumoto oil drain valve, I have 3 of them. Both my Legacy's and the GF's ford.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived