LegacyGT.com

Preping for a new turbo install (NOT another blown turbo thread)

So I've received my new turbo today after ordering it due to A LOT of bearing play when installing my new Perrin up-pipe. I didnt find much info on how to install a new turbo properly (not after one blows)

So these are the things I've gathered together for the install:

1. Fresh oil and filter

2. Grimmspeed exhaust gaskets for the up and down pipes (already in due to the up-pipe install so they are guaranteed still good as I put them in 3 days ago)

3. Before bolting in the turbo, prime the bearing by pouring fresh oil in the bearing location. Is it fine to pour in through the return line? And continue to manually spin the shaft gently to get all internals lubed

4. A little extra coolant seeing how I will lose some when removing the bad turbo.

5. Remove turbo banjo filter and DISCARD lol

Anything I am missing or should know about? Thanks guys!

Sounds like you have it covered. Might as well check the banjo bolt filters while you are there and remove them if present.

How could I forget this haha Yes ALSO remove the turbo banjo as well. cant forget. Im gonna edit my post to cover it! haha

oil return hose.

I like to bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

I figured that out after I cut the inlet tube trying to line up the studs, oil return hose and inlet tube.

WHen I did the short block, I bought a new inlet tube and 5 bolts that hold the up pipe bracket to the block.

I think you've seen the picture.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

oil return hose.

I like to bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

I figured that out after I cut the inlet tube trying to line up the studs, oil return hose and inlet tube.

WHen I did the short block, I bought a new inlet tube and 5 bolts that hold the up pipe bracket to the block.

I think you've seen the picture.

Yeah Im just gonna use the studs on the up. They are brand new and Im going to put some anti seize on them as well. I dont plan on removing the turbo again if I even own the car for another turbo to go out without the filter causing it. It was never blown, just bad. So not worried about metal shrapnel in the oil either lol. But yes the way you have done it looks like an awesome idea for people that do a lot of work on their cars for sure!

The only other thing I might suggest is getting a 2x Grimmspeed manifold to uppipe gasket. The turbo mounts to the uppipe and the combined forces of engine, UP, and DP bolting can overwhelm the 2-bolt manifold to UP gasket. That and your Perrin UP flange is much more stiff than OEM. If you do replace it, loosen up all manifold bolts, tighten the UP first and then the others.

Oh, and while you're down there, might as well remove the cross pipe and replace that weeping oil cooler o-ring and get those stains off your driveway. ;-)

The only other thing I might suggest is getting a 2x Grimmspeed manifold to uppipe gasket. The turbo mounts to the uppipe and the combined forces of engine, UP, and DP bolting can overwhelm the 2-bolt manifold to UP gasket. That and your Perrin UP flange is much more stiff than OEM. If you do replace it, loosen up all manifold bolts, tighten the UP first and then the others.

Oh, and while you're down there, might as well remove the cross pipe and replace that weeping oil cooler o-ring and get those stains off your driveway. ;-)

I do have new Grimmspeed exhaust gaskets on the car haha, Literally put them in last week. I have no oil stains on the driveway haha, maybe mine doesnt leak yet?

Also is there some kind of break in period for the new turbo? Or should it just be good to boost after being primed?

How do you properly prime a turbo? By pulling the IGN (Ignition) fuse and turning the engine over a few times? Or is there a safer way? And also whats the best way to check there is oil pressure properly getting through the inlet tube?

I put a little oil in the oil feed, spun the wheel a little, put it on the car and started the engine.

It will get oil pressure faster that way.

Just I did with the new short block, put it, fired up the engine. Oil light went out just like it always does.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived