LegacyGT.com

Starting my first build

Hey everyone I was wondering if you guys can teach me a little about building a car. I'm not a total amateur but I'm still naive when it comes to cars. I've broken down a list of part I'm looking to install but every so often I come into a problem I don't understand.

Current Problem: Wheels & Tires- I found these Enkei TS-5 rims that I like but when it comes to offset, backspacing, and stuff like that I'm lost. I'm looking to uprade to a 17" from a 15" and I'm not sure what tire size I want. In the future I plan on putting on some widebody fender flares or something. I like the side of the tires to stick out a little.

Engine Build: My EJ22 that the car came with just about blew up do to rod knock (probably why the guy was selling it) so I swapped a EJ20 in it for now. I plan on putting something more powerful in it but I'm trying to discover the secrets of engine building specifically what Prime Motoring does to get 1000hp out of their EJ's.

Transmission: Anyone know of a strong 6MT that will work with my 99.

Build Plan:

Suspension: BC Racing (BR, DS, RM?) & Whiteline 22mm w/ Strut Towers

Wheels & Tires: Bronze Enkei TS-R 17×9 & Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R

Headlight: Kaizen Lighting (Haven't found any aftermarket taillights)

Brakes: [unknown]

Seats & Steering Wheel : [unknown]

Aero: [unknown]

Engine & Transmission: 202006 Had to Replace EJ22 with EJ20. Looking into what Prime Motoring does to get 1000hp EJ's. Hoping I fine a 6speed MT that'll work but idk.

Wrap: Satin Grey

Turbo: [unknown]

Edited by The Gngrbredmann
Changes to Engine, Suspension

On the tire size, you will have to roll/pull your fenders. I run 235/60R16 and had to roll my fenders. I am on the cheap Konigs. Look up tire size and trim comparison calculators on google.

We are definitely interested in watching your build and helping along the way as possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Look around for a local mobile tire guy to see if they offer wheel well measuring, that way you can get the exact specs you need, BUT you'll have to do your suspension mods first to get the right numbers. As far as transmission goes, don't buy into the 6MT or nothing mentality, YES the 6mt is stouter but the 5mt only gets a bad rep from idiots abusing their cars and blaming the machine for their faults, if you are staying under 350hp then a 5mt is fine.

Look around for a local mobile tire guy to see if they offer wheel well measuring, that way you can get the exact specs you need, BUT you'll have to do your suspension mods first to get the right numbers. As far as transmission goes, don't buy into the 6MT or nothing mentality, YES the 6mt is stouter but the 5mt only gets a bad rep from idiots abusing their cars and blaming the machine for their faults, if you are staying under 350hp then a 5mt is fine.

The reason I want a 6MT is because I had a 03 mazda6 with a 5 and then eventually my kia forte had a 6 which ended liking better bc I had more gears to play with. In the future I plan on pushing past 350hp though.

The reason I want a 6MT is because I had a 03 mazda6 with a 5 and then eventually my kia forte had a 6 which ended liking better bc I had more gears to play with. In the future I plan on pushing past 350hp though.

Then yeah go with the 6MT, an extra gear can't hurt but keep in mind you'll pay substantially more for a 6MT because they are more sought after. Also it's a larger case so be prepared to "massage" the trans tunnel.