LegacyGT.com

HELP!! Timing belt replacement gone wrong

Replaced timing belt and water pump on my 97 legacy gt ej25d. I got everything lined up pretty close then started engine. It started but it had a rough idle line the timing was still off by a hair. Took belt off. Realigned and went to start again. All it did was, clunk clunk clunk. Will not start. Took out Haynes to see what I did wrong. I never lined up crank sproket. Now I am not able to turn that sproket more then a quarter turn in each direction without it hitting something and stopping. I am aware that I jacked something up really bad, the question is what? What did I mess up by doing that? Why can I not turn my crankshaft sprocket?

Any input or guidance on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Sounds like you've hit the valves with the pistons because your timing was off. Since you started the car before you tried to turn it over by hand, you've already done damage. You should always turn the car over by hand prior to starting after doing a timing belt; turning it over by hand usually won't be enough force to damage the valves/pistons, but the starter will definitely do major damage. You're looking at a rebuild.

Bummer. Sounds bad. I’d pull off the timing belt and slowly try to rotate the crank clockwise. Always rotate only in its normal operating rotation. With the belt off the valves should all rest at closed. You can slowly turn the cams to make sure they they are resting on the back of the lobes. You’ll feel a looseness to the cams when the valves are closed and a bit of resistance as they try to open. The idea here is to see if the valves are closing and you can turn the crank again. If this works then carefully setup the timing belt again and then rotate the crank manually. If timing looks good try to start. If you get a no start or very rough running you most likely bent valves. Next would be a compression then leak down test. But you can probably move forward with a rebuild or replacement by that point. Oh and if you can get your hands on a borescope you can pull the spark plugs and scope the cylinders. I the valves contacted the pistons damage will be obvious.

Unfortunately all of the things I said most likely are futile at this point from your description. Good luck!

you may be able to find a used engine from a local junkyard...Most will come with kind of warranty.

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Make sure you put in the correct info, I just chose the first one in the list.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here