LegacyGT.com

Cold start mystery noise, help!

Hi Everyone,

I've attached a video of the noise my car is making on very cold starts.

I've got the car in gear, braking and accelerating to put on some load. The noise is very obvious once I've eased off the throttle.

https://youtu.be/SZd3HCtzDq8

The noise disappears after 5 minutes making it difficult to take to my mechanic to inspect.

To me it sounds like a combination of rattling heat shields and some whine.

I've inspected my exhaust system, banged around with a small rubber mallet and no obvious loose connections. I retightened my heat shields anyway.

My mechanic has inspected suspension components and all bushings etc are in good condition with no play.

I've also inspected my rear motor mount (i think also referred to as a transmission mount) with a pry bar, no crazy play.

I am so stumped with this and I don't really want to start throwing money down the drain.

Any feedback/suggestions will be super appreciated.

https://youtu.be/SZd3HCtzDq8

Whine is the power steering pump.

clicking is the injectors.

The ring...I'll have to think about that. sounds like the noise the fly wheel makes when you tap it with a hammer...?

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Damn, fitted the new o rings from the dealership. Bled the system best I could. Still made that awful grinding/whining sound at cold start up on Sunday morning.

Any other ideas I can look into?

Before replacing the oring my pump was definitely leaking oil from the low pressure side. The oil leak is gone, but the noise is not.

So frustrating

Pull off the belts and see if it goes away. If it does first put back the a/c belt. If still gone put back the alt/ps belt. If its back you know its one of the two. My idler pulley was my noise maker back when I bought the car in 2017. This is how I found it.