LegacyGT.com

Steering Responsive Fogs - disable? NO!

Just an FYI

(I'm hoping this can be added to the Lighting threads for future reference).

I have a 2017 Outback, but I've also found some valuable info on the board, so I wanted to share what I discovered today:

I dislike the Steering Responsive Fog Lights (SRF) feature, and I know many others do too. Today, I unplugged the switch from up and behind the dash, to see if it would render the "feature" inoperable. No joy. The SRF default position is "on" and disconnecting the switch retains that setting. I wanted to share and hopefully save someone else the trouble of looking for the answer.

I did email Subaru and will update this post if & when they respond, about a dealer setting to disable.

:hide:

I would love to have a software option to default them OFF. Really annoying to hit the button every time I start the car.

Me too. I'm hoping there is some hidden setting the dealer can access on their Subaru computer. My local dealer didn't know of such a setting, but I'm hoping Subaru can advise.

Oh well, I like everything else.

This is one of the reasons I actually stuck with a base model. All the Premiums I tested had the steering fog lights, and it seemed like there was no way to shut that function off. I could be wrong.

Anyway, when I got my base model, it came with the alloy wheel package. I told him I didn't like those alloys, and talked him down a bit on the price, so I got the alloys "kind of" free. But since I was already planning on getting my own aftermarket wheels, I asked him afterward if he would trade the alloy wheels for a set of fog lights. He then pulled the steelies off the only other base model he had, and he installed a set of fog lights for free. So he made out I think. He was able to keep his alloys for the other car, and I got my fog lights. :)

So, I got my fog lights, a set of nice aftermarket wheels, and an extra set of steelies for a rainy day. Maybe I'll put some Blizzaks on them next year.

I really prefer the fog light option I have. Instead of the rotate switch on the turn signal lever, it has the separate switch on the dash, and I can just leave them on when I turn on the headlights. No weird steering mode.

Edited by Condor1970

It is my understanding that the fog lights don't physically "move/rotate" when applying the turn signal/steering wheel, but the fog light to the side you are turning simply comes on?

Can anyone here clarify the details/sequence of operation on this?

thanks

It is my understanding that the fog lights don't physically "move/rotate" when applying the turn signal/steering wheel, but the fog light to the side you are turning simply comes on?

That is correct. Just think of them as dual-purpose fog/cornering lights.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

They get lot of use on our country roads. They are really helpful especially where I live with all the wild animals (I live right of the edge of an Animal Reserve) and those fog light really cause the dear etc to stop in their tracks when driving in the evening.

Laughter is the key to happiness

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Why is this an issue?

Well, I can only speak for my own experience. I tested several Legacies of different trims. The Premiums I drove all had Eyesight, so they came with the steering responsive fog lights.

I didn't like them, because it visually bothered me. Meaning, I actually felt it was a little distracting with them coming on an off every time I would make a turn.

In the end, I bought the base model because I just didn't want all the extra electronic safety gizmos. Very nice options, but for my driving routine, it simply wasn't necessary nor in my budget.

That said, I much prefer to have a separate switch for the fog lights, so I can turn them on, and they stay on, and don't distract me in anyway. They both stay lit, and cover the full left to right spectrum while driving down the road in bad weather.

That said, I much prefer to have a separate switch for the fog lights, so I can turn them on, and they stay on, and don't distract me in anyway. They both stay lit, and cover the full left to right spectrum while driving down the road in bad weather.

Even with SRF, you DO have a switch to turn on the fog logs so they stay on.

My experience was that the lights turning on and off were a bit of a minor distraction initially. But ever since the first few weeks (of night driving), I really don't notice them at all. YMMV.

That said, I certainly agree that if you're on a tight budget, of all the things you might want to splurge for, SRFs aren't one of them.

it shines the light in the dirction you need to be looking... don t have them on my subi but do on another vehicle and as stated they are great in the rural areas... wish my subi had them.

You think there would be a fuse the motor that moves them, if that's how they work?

this say s you have a switch to disable

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=ymyy-t-999&hsimp=yhs-frontier1&hspart=frontier&p=turning+off+steering+responsive+fog#id=1&vid=efb547f011b36bcd80abe467286d14ae&action=click

Edited by cerbomark

so what moves them???

Edit, OK, so it s a separate side light that lights up....

Neither. They don't move, and there isn't a separate light. The optics of the fog light are designed to split the light output between the front and the side.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Here's the response from Subaru:

------------------

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with this feature. There is no setting available to disable this feature. I will pass on your feedback to Product Development to consider when developing future models. Past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our newer models. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by our owners.

If you need any more information, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

----------------

* I suppose the more inquiries they receive the more likely a software tweak could occur.