LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Legacy Wheel Thread

hello all, I see many beautiful wheels and wonder if anyone noticed any improvements in the handling with different wheel size and offsets?

Most people here select aftermarket wheels solely for appearance, and then often report dramatically enhanced performance. Changing offset from the OE 55mm is virtually guaranteed to have adverse effects on handling and wheel bearing life.

As we all know legacy 6th generation steering feels little loose at highway speed.
That is not an established fact, so we don't all "know" it. My 2015 Legacy (with OE wheels and tires), for one example, does not "feel loose" at highway speeds. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
http://i.imgur.com/q8S0xds.jpg

Wheels: 2016 WRX Enkei 18x8.5's like a few others have done

Tires: 255/45R18 Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season

Wheels look amazing, picked them up off Craigslist with stock WRX tires which I'm selling.

Tires were on closeout from Tire Rack, as far as I can tell they're smooth, quiet, and handle excellently. Will report back when I have more time on them.

255 is over an inch wider than stock and it looks mean!! From the back it looks very German sedan like width-wise. Much more muscular and sporty:cool::wub:

I was worried about tire fitment, however they fit perfectly. 255/45 is as large as I could possibly go (at least with +55 offset). No rubbing on the shock tower plate that sticks out over the tire - just enough space to allow sidewall flex without hitting it.

Sorry to quote a way old post but I'm looking to go from stock to 18s as well and would also prefer a wider tire. Not knowing much about wheel and tire fitment... I would like to play it a bit safer than the somewhat just right fitment Andrew is describing. Is there a way to approach this look and approximate width of tire while giving it a bit more room? It's a family hauler so I often have the car loaded. Planning to use Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires.

Ty!

It's a family hauler so I often have the car loaded. Planning to use Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires.

My advice: Stick with the OE tire sizes unless you have a specific reason not to. The 225 section width is more than adequate for these vehicles, and if you maintain stock wheel offset they won't increase wheel bearing loads. IMO, cosmetics (i.e. appearance) is absolutely the worst reason to change wheel/tire sizes.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My advice: Stick with the OE tire sizes unless you have a specific reason not to. The 225 section width is more than adequate for these vehicles, and if you maintain stock wheel offset they won't increase wheel bearing loads. IMO, cosmetics (i.e. appearance) is absolutely the worst reason to change wheel/tire sizes.

Thanks for the input. Going to a larger 18 in wheel too but the width increase I figured would help with the stability of the car as Bill G mentioned. I'm not sure I'm gonna go as far as to do the stabilizer mod so I figured if I have to get new tires that a tire width increase might be just enough for me to be happy enough with the stability of the car. I also hope the greater surface area leads to a tad more traction in snowy conditions. Would a slightly less wide tire but wider than stock make more sense? I. E. 235/55/18?

If this logic makes no sense please tell me. Won't get it done for another few days or week so can change the tire size I go with still.

Edited by Saberplane

Thanks for the input. Going to a larger 18 in wheel too but the width increase I figured would help with the stability of the car as Bill G mentioned. I'm not sure I'm gonna go as far as to do the stabilizer mod so I figured if I have to get new tires that a tire width increase might be just enough for me to be happy enough with the stability of the car. I also hope the greater surface area leads to a tad more traction in snowy conditions. Would a slightly less wide tire but wider than stock make more sense? I. E. 235/55/18?

If this logic makes no sense please tell me. Won't get it done for another few days or week so can change the tire size I go with still.

235/50R18 will work. 10mm wider, and about 0.4" bigger in diameter than the stock tires. The 55-series tires will be much too tall.

235/50R18 will work. 10mm wider, and about 0.4" bigger in diameter than the stock tires. The 55-series tires will be much too tall.

Got the 18 in wheels which I love but they fitted me with 245/45R18 and even tho they said they checked for clearance and it seemed close but ok.. I am getting fender rub in the rear. Oddly more on the left than on the right. It can't be replicated by pushing on the car but when it happens it's very obvious and jarring. I wonder if body roll while driving higher speeds or driving at an angle is just enough to cause it to hit it when I hit a dip in the road. There is a line where you can see the fender mark just to the outside of the profile of the tire. I wonder if I should go back and request 235's or if it's something they could fix a different way?

Wonder why others with the same tire size like Boxer.. Or even those with the 255 like Andrew are not having the rubbing issue tho?

Edited by Saberplane

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to order some winter wheels and tires for my father's '19, just stock replacement. 225/50R18 (MONSTR Bright Silver) on 18x7.5 offset 40mm (GENERAL

ALTIMAX ARCTIC 12).

I'm getting the 40mm offset to give it more of a European fitment, and TireRack guarantees them to not rub.

Thoughts?

Wmm0GR5.png

1gyfF7h.png

I'm getting the 40mm offset to give it more of a European fitment ...

Bad idea. Vanity is absolutely the worst reason to go with a non-standard offset. Changing offset will significantly alter wheel bearing loading and adversely affect suspension geometry (e.g. scrub radius).

spacer.png

Always a benefit to getting narrower tires for winter. Better traction. Depends how much snow your father will see.

If it was me I would probably get 17” wheels with a narrower tire and bigger sidewall (for pothole protection).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As requested

Type: 2015/16 Premium STI wheels

Size: 18 x 8.5 ET55

Tyres: 225/50R18

Hey, I have a 2019 Legacy 3.6R and purchased a set of 2014 STI Limited wheels in hyper silver the same size and ET as shown in your post. I was going to run the stock Eagle LS2s (225/50 R18) till. next summer before going to Michelin Sport A/S3+ in a 245/45 R18 size.

Did you have to run a spacer to clear the front strut or was there sufficient clearance with the OEM LS2 tires in 225/50 R18?

Discount Tire won't install the LS2s on the STI wheel since they are specified for a maximum rim width of 8". You ran the stock LS2s did you have any issues. with them?

My view is that "stretching" them 1/4" on each side of the tire is nothing to be concerned about.

Appreciate any feedback that you or other forum members can offer.

Thanks, Bez

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, I have a 2019 Legacy 3.6R and purchased a set of 2014 STI Limited wheels in hyper silver the same size and ET as shown in your post. I was going to run the stock Eagle LS2s (225/50 R18) till. next summer before going to Michelin Sport A/S3+ in a 245/45 R18 size.

Did you have to run a spacer to clear the front strut or was there sufficient clearance with the OEM LS2 tires in 225/50 R18?

Discount Tire won't install the LS2s on the STI wheel since they are specified for a maximum rim width of 8". You ran the stock LS2s did you have any issues. with them?

My view is that "stretching" them 1/4" on each side of the tire is nothing to be concerned about.

Appreciate any feedback that you or other forum members can offer.

Thanks, Bez

I have those wheels and running 255/45/18 michelin as/3+ tires. Also running eibach lowering springs. no rubbing, great ride quality. Personally, I would not run a 225 on those wheels. YMMV

VPOxfdI.jpg

Bad idea. Vanity is absolutely the worst reason to go with a non-standard offset. Changing offset will significantly alter wheel bearing loading and adversely affect suspension geometry (e.g. scrub radius).
Drives me crazy to see heavy duty pickups with reversed dish rims for this reason. Why does someone buy a heavy duty truck and then reduce it's load capacity with reversed dished rims? Usually, they are also jacked way up in the air and when I look at the differential it doesn't have much more ground clearance than the Outback. I guess they think it looks cool; it just looks stupid to me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Just put on some ssw Valencias in 19×8 +45, lighter than the factory wheels amd very happy with the brakes contrast!

Tyres are Bridgestone potenza re050A'sbfe7291912ad069d1ad070d7d80b598c.jpga20268838596207122727d194c249067.jpg1e618e82d4e8f90158a47b252d9bfbe1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Did it made your car sit higher?

guys that selected to go with the wheels that have different offsets from the OEM 55mm, can you please tell me your offsets and what difference in handling you notice from the OEM 55mm offset? Also if you know your old vs new wheel weight in lb please mention that too if not it is OK.

Thank you all in advance!

I am interested to hear mostly about the steering wheel weight/feel at highway speeds. For me OEM 55mm offset steering weight feels light, I prefer heavier weight of the steering wheel at higher speed and wonder if your other offset numbers and heavier weight wheels made your steering feel heavier.

Edited by aki334

• 1 month later...
I have those wheels and running 255/45/18 michelin as/3+ tires. Also running eibach lowering springs. no rubbing, great ride quality. Personally, I would not run a 225 on those wheels. YMMV

VPOxfdI.jpg

I assume because you have a 19', you have eyesight? Has the eyesight been affected by the lower ride hight?

i am so tossed up on lowering or not with this eyesight on my car.:spin:

Edited by OFFICERTYO

I assume because you have a 19, you have eyesite? Has the eyesite been affected by the lower ride hight?

i am so tossed up on lowering or not with this eyesite on my car.:spin:

I believe he has 18”s wheels,

Also mine is lowered with H&R springs and didn’t have any affect on my eyesight..