LegacyGT.com

09 Outback shift lock solenoid issue

My only key for 09 Outback was stolen in house break here in Panama. I hired an auto locksmith who changed all locks on the car, but when he attempted to enter auto key code for a new one the car wouldn't accept it. When I tried to use the car found shifter locked, 3 lights on continuously AWD, ABS and AT Temp flashing also message on odo reading: Er IU. Locksmith saying without original key code from Subaru he's now stuck, manual key only. 2 diagnostic tests performed one mechanic saying it's the brake light switch but brake lights are working OK and fuse is OK. The other mechanic a 25 year GM service manager says it's the shift lock solenoid. I'm using the screwdriver solution but that gets old quickly! I asked him to remove the solenoid switch and test it but he didn't like that idea told me labor would be $50 to perform that, told me just go ahead and buy the solenoid. Subaru USA at first flat refused to provide original key code, told me I had to go to a US based dealership 6000 miles from me? Yesterday they relented after I told them I'd never own another Subaru. So now they say they'll provide key code to a Panama dealership by phone. I'll believe that when I have the 8 digits. Locksmith claims with the code he can program me a key that works fully like original. He denies creating all of the lights and message stuff, says car was already faulty (untrue). Big mess in a foreign country to boot. Lesson learned is ALWAYS have 2 keys! But then thieves may have returned and stolen the car, so I really needed all new locks anyway. I've studied all the other posts here surrounding similiar problems with the shifter, but I have the additional key issues simultaneously. Anyone have any insight or suggestions, ALL would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

concerning the above, I noticed also no turn signals or hazards working. Found fuse blown in the engine bay panel 15 amp when I replaced the new one blew immediately with car shut off no key in ignition. My thinking now tends to be that kid who attempted to create new key caused a short somewhere? He seems to think that if he can punch in the original key code all these problems will disappear. Feels like quicksand with my used to be 100% good Outback!

• 1 year later...
Hmm ... Interesting story, but I still don't understand why Subaru USA didn't provide you with the code right away, given your situation. This at least makes you wonder how the company treats its customers. In the current situation with the key, in order to beat confident in your locks, it is better to order new original locks and an ignition lock from the manufacturer with a unique code authorized by the company. Due to the replacement of the key, such errors occur and you will have to reprogram the car, however, after a complete replacement of all the locks, you will not have such an error. I used this method for my Acura MDX after trying to hack my car. Fortunately, help from https://www.howtobecomealocksmith.org/locksmith-salary/ made it easier to replace and resolve this situation.