LegacyGT.com

CAN: madrig cf parts thread

Given the quality of his parts (I know we are in speculation town now) I think it is safe to assume he is well aware of how to properly develop and post-treat CF parts. You don't end up with these results by accident.

I ask some of these questions mostly as a discussion point so other members are aware that CF is not as simple as adding fabric and goop in a mold. It takes a lot of work to end up with these results.

I worked in aerospace for a while and the amount of prep that goes into making a high quality part is ridiculous. One "simple" part like the radiator shroud might only take a few layers of CF material but piles of consumables like peel ply, breather fabric, mold wax, PVA, bagging materials, the list goes on and on.

^^^ Several years ago, Randy of Hkc-speed fame started a cf business. I was looking doing some work with them/doing a spinoff. He brought me onto the "team" for a week or so. Its part art, part dusty work, part black magic and part luck. Taking a cold shower to wash off the cf particles every day got old fast. I have a matte fuse cover mostly made by me but finished by an expert. Every time I see cf materials on the web for cheap, I pull that off the car for a second opinion.

every one that has a part knows the truth. every one else...trust us.

ymmv. it's the internet. I could be a shut-in who gets paid for post count.

When I see cheap CF I just think of fiberglass with tinted resin, because most people will not know the difference. Secondly, most parts people get are non-structural so the strength of real CF is not necessary. Also there are a ton of parts which only have a thin CF top layer with a cheaper material making the bulk of the product.

I have considered making my own CF parts being well aware it is a) a money pit, and b) it will not come out how I envision it in my head. Lastly, it will be a lot of work and as it is known; you have time and money, but rarely do you have both in excess.

I would love to make a hood, trunk lid, door skins, wide body fenders with Nomex a honeycomb core or closed cell foam with ideal fabric to resin ratio, great balance of strength and lightness. But guess what buddy that shit is unrealistic for a guy in his tiny garage, and his car in a million pieces.

Side note, if want to see some guy actually doing just that check this guy out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx-HTIYPn3CiBQFd4rMyXw.

This guy breaks down the nitty gritty truth of making CF parts in a garage, and the cost. His initial investment was something like $15K in materials, to get started.

Sorry to thread jack with this discussion, but I like this kind of stuff so I get carried away.

thank you boxkita for taking the time to keep info alive on the forum , also thanks to all for the nice comment , i really appreciate cause yes sometime is not easy and fun doing parts .

to answer some questions about the parts, there are made by vacuum , parts are raw carbon when demolded , raw carbon is sanded and a sealer is applied , then sealer is sanded and clear coat is applied ,and most of the time clear is sanded and polished .long process and labor intensive but is the best look you can get . yes it is UV cause i use and automotive clear .

if you want a parts you contact me and i do it , you dont need to pay in advance , parts are guaranty, if you receive a parts you dont like return it and get a refund i will pay return fee also . delay are long yes , cause labor take time and i not only doing parts for subaru legacy .

thank you boxkita for taking the time to keep info alive on the forum , also thanks to all for the nice comment , i really appreciate cause yes sometime is not easy and fun doing parts .

to answer some questions about the parts, there are made by vacuum , parts are raw carbon when demolded , raw carbon is sanded and a sealer is applied , then sealer is sanded and clear coat is applied ,and most of the time clear is sanded and polished .long process and labor intensive but is the best look you can get . yes it is UV cause i use and automotive clear .

if you want a parts you contact me and i do it , you dont need to pay in advance , parts are guaranty, if you receive a parts you dont like return it and get a refund i will pay return fee also . delay are long yes , cause labor take time and i not only doing parts for subaru legacy .

Thank you for the reply, I will be contacting you at some point but right now I have a longgg list of other things to take care of before I get the "pretty" parts.

[attach]290571[/attach]

Those quarters are something I will need to order some time in the near future just need to find a good body shop on island that won't screw the install up :spin:

How much would something like that cost? I really like a clean look like this

7dfbee58b10e7f33554b26d5a36c23ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do we have going on with this rebar here? Is that a way to have a jdm bumper and some rebar?

• 4 weeks later...
Those quarters are something I will need to order some time in the near future just need to find a good body shop on island that won't screw the install up :spin:

Mine took about 4 months to get, so keep that in mind. And I live 2 hours away from madrig.....

I'm also having a hard time finding someone to do the body work. I have other areas to look after too but the rear quarters seem to be giving estimators fits.

Wow, I am glad this thread pushed it's way to the top. That blue carbon scoop is great! I should probably read through the whole thread first to ascertain whether you make these anymore or not, madrig. But, do you make these anymore or considering again in the future?

Wow, I am glad this thread pushed it's way to the top. That blue carbon scoop is great! I should probably read through the whole thread first to ascertain whether you make these anymore or not, madrig. But, do you make these anymore or considering again in the future?

Shoot him a message. He makes parts to order and sometimes has an extra that gets posted here. Hands down best way to get something is to contact him directly.

I'm also having a hard time finding someone to do the body work. I have other areas to look after too but the rear quarters seem to be giving estimators fits.

That's dumb. Idk how it works up there but it should just be r&r time based on the book plus whatever the body tech says extra for the custom work. If none of the techs want it then they don't do custom work like that.

But seriously. R&R is probably around 16hrs from what I remember for most quarter panels. Maybe say an extra 4hrs for welding and sanding spot welds and prepping bonding surface. Some extra for materials, whatever paint costs. Idk 2k ish. And I haven't estimated a car in 4 years.

Bit of a rant, just hate when people won't give straight answers. That should be an easy estimate and either you don't do custom fab or it's no problem.

I've been to 3 shops so far. First one has yet to get back to me, though they came highly recommended. Second one wanted to charge me $125 to wash my car before giving estimate. Third one actually gave me an estimate, but didn't include doing the rear quarters - they guessed around $1500 in addition to estimate.

I have a couple custom shops I want to talk to before deciding. I'd like to find someone who doesn't show hesitation and is confident they can do it.

Shoot him a message. He makes parts to order and sometimes has an extra that gets posted here. Hands down best way to get something is to contact him directly.

It worked! I never thought I'd be interested in any CF bling but man am I excited to get a blue carbon scoop! If everything works out hopefully I will be able to post some pics of it installed in a few weeks.

These forums are dangerous for the wallet.