LegacyGT.com

Should I consider replacing my timing belt?

I have a newly imported JDM 2005 Legacy GT with 93,000km. The timing belt has never been changed as far as I know, and I am aware that the Subaru recommended interval for timing belt is around 105,000 miles (~165,000km).

However, since this car is 15 years old I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to replace the belt, since I have heard that just due to age of the belt that the rubber wears down and stiffens over time?

I was hoping to avoid this until later simply due to cost, but also don't want to risk the belt snapping and ending up with damaged valves and/or pistons.

Yep, I did the belt in my 09 Spec B, build date June 2008, in 2018, car currently has 93,000 miles.

Better safe then sorry. IMO 15 years is risky.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've heard that doing the water pump is a waste of time as long as there is no leaks, since the OEM one is extremely reliable.

Until they start leaking and you need to pull the timing belt off to replace it and you turn a $100 part into a $1000 job.

My gates waterpump started leaking after 15k miles, so that was fun. Luckily that time around I replaced it myself so it was no big deal. I think it took 5 hours with someone helping me.

When you think of a timing belt as a 100,000 mile / 10 year job. Sort of stupid to not spend the extra $100 and just do it all at the same time.