LegacyGT.com

EJ20x swap

Hey y'all,

I've been debating doing a swap/rebuild for some time on my 06 LGT. It's a second vehicle so no pressure to finish quick, like my $ex skills...other then, wanting it back on the road. Car still drives pretty strong actually, but low compression in #2 #4 and drinks oil.

That being said, I'm planning to purchase a JDM Ej20x this weekend! I've done my research, and this is what I've found:

-swap over USDM intake manifold and harness to JDM

-swap or make sure the cam shaft position sensor uses 2 wire sensor on the exhaust side (immobilizer chip is needed to start car)

Where I get stomped is this exhaust AVCS that the USDM ECU can't control. You have to "plug" the sensor??? Any advice, complaints are very much appreciated. I'll go more into what upgrades I'm planning, once the convo gets going.

Thanks everyone!!

EJ257 short block and get the heads redone. Those EJ20x swaps just are not the way to go. I mean 207 I hear is a beast, but I want the car how it came or with a ej257. I see so many people swap it and try to sell it for a stupid price. they never sell.

Do yourself (and the car) a favor and save up for a proper EJ255/257 rebuild.

EJ257 short block and get the heads redone. Those EJ20x swaps just are not the way to go. I mean 207 I hear is a beast, but I want the car how it came or with a ej257. I see so many people swap it and try to sell it for a stupid price. they never sell.

Or car max takes it lol. But yes some poor saps things they have a cool LGT, then it dies making them hate Subaru for ever.

Hey, the guy said he, "did his research" That's why I did post anything negative about doing this when I first saw this post about 5AM today.

You should learn to listen to the then person who "did the research" ;)

OP if you want a fun reliable DD that is easy to get parts for, do what most of have done.

new OEM ej257 short block have your heads rebuilt...

read my "click here" link. That was 133,000 miles ago. That ej257 is still awesome.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Or you can source a used USDM EJ255 (at your own risk) for around $3k and drop it in. Most good shops will compression and leakdown test used longblocks, and some will install new headgaskets or timing components at a discount before purchase too.

Much better option than a used JDM motor, at least in my opinion.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A local shop, @the_subie_sanctuary does these swaps often and they can make power while getting incredible MPG.

N2il8.jpg

Couple things. What fuel do you plan on using? You should get the JDM legacy ecu (in your case metal case) to properly run dual avcs, which this engine needs. Don't try running it single avcs. Swap over your turbo or get a better one because the vf38 fails often. Other option is to buy an ej20y which comes from a manual transmission and uses a different turbo.

Make sure to remove the banjo filters, especially by the turbo. Exhaust avcs is 2 wire on motors without airpumps and 3 wire on motor with airpumps. I personally bought the air pump motor because it has updated cylinder head design (U20) and am working to make it work with my 05 LGT. I replaced the 3 wire sensor with a new 2 wire one and ran the extra wires to the JDM ecu.

Trying to run this motor on a single avcs ecu and crappy gas always nets bad results. If you're looking for simplicity, go get the single avcs plastic manifold WRX EJ205 or exiga motor. These are the easier drop in replacements that will let you keep your ecu, Cobb AP and still get the higher revving,.higher compression JDM EJ20 shortblock, with some big port heads. I recommend running 2 step colder plugs if you're tuning with an STI turbo for power and at least 93 octane (+meth if you want to make #s)