LegacyGT.com

Under intake fuel hoses - OEM or Auto store?

2 years ago I rebuilt my engine, and replaced the stock fuel hoses which were 12 years old. I used what I thought were quality high pressure lines from NAPA:

New.JPG.8ac5d7a631e82bf2914d1714aadcefb5.JPG

About a year later I noticed fuel vapor smells, and another year later I finally got around to fixing it:

20180526_083616_HDR.thumb.jpg.0dc537e64074f3199df4fa15c2886b9f.jpg

20180526_083636_HDR.thumb.jpg.7bda0f96daf84b51981052731bce4711.jpg

It looks like the NAPA fuel lines swelled from the heat of the engine and have started to split. Why would this have happened? Should I have left some room length wise? Are generic off the spool hoses not intended for heat in this application?

I'm also wondering if I should have bought OEM lines, as though maybe they are a unique construction to deal with sitting right on top of the engine. I was expecting to tighten everything up when I got it apart and be on my way, but OEM lines will take until late next week to get, and auto parts store lines I could have whenever I mosey on up the road.

Additionally, the clamps were pretty loose, so I'm switching to Oetiker clamps that come stock. Should have listened to SBT on that one.

So now, do I accept the wait time for OEM hoses, or make sure to get a high heat hose, leave some space at the ends and hope a different clamp style will hold?

Good lesson for all of us. FWIW, my wagon still has what it came with. I think the OEM from the factory are good for a very long time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Had an issue with using slightly larger hose replacing oem. 5/16 no good. 1/4 nice and tight. Factory hose is 7.5mm... Gates Barricade is what your looking for in 1/4" ID. But as I've found the little elbow on the drivers side is best to use the factory hose 100%.

Had an issue with using slightly larger hose replacing oem. 5/16 no good. 1/4 nice and tight. Factory hose is 7.5mm... Gates Barricade is what your looking for in 1/4" ID. But as I've found the little elbow on the drivers side is best to use the factory hose 100%.

Interesting... Gated Baricade 5/16” worked just fine when i did my topfeed conversion. I wanted to keep OEM style quick connects, so reused that part of the OEM system. Used Gates 5/16” hose off those to the new Radium rails.

Is it just the fuel rail side that ends up loose?

NAPA hose is gates most of the time though, so OP now has me worried.

Depends on your fittings.

For the stock mid pipe connection it helped ensure a tight seal even before clamping.

Left the rail support bolt out, bottom center of the intake manifold.

This one caused me some grief that will be left for another day.

OEM ordered.

I get wanting to use OEM for some parts, like stock sized turbos. It's slightly disappointing/confusing that something as simple as a 5 inch piece of rubber fuel hose can't be replicated in mass quantities.

Archived