LegacyGT.com

Legacy Needs Shoes

spb

My 2008 Legacy 2.5i needs new tires. What do you guys recommend in terms of size and brand?

I was pretty satisfied with my Yokohamas in terms of quietness and overall performance. Any better choices? Do you buy online or in-store?

TIA

thank you for your replies guys!

The Hankook ventus v12 evos got good reviews.
was it here on legacygt.com or somewhere else? found this review by car&driver:

"Deceptively quick is a good summation of the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos because they often didn’t feel as strong as they actually were, particularly in the dry... In the wet, however, the V12s were as sporty and connected as they come"

would these perform better then my stock ones? tia

edit: are the hankook ventus v12 evo summer tires only?

I was shocked to note that I have just over 50K on the stock yokahamas on my 2.5i SE. I am actually considering replacing them with another set of the same model (but a different size: 225/45/17) for daily driving. While these were not home run hitters in high-performance/spirited driving, to get 50K of not-so-gentle driving is nothing to sneeze at.

I have dedicated track wheels and tires, and I need to be able to deal with some snow from time to time so it needs to be an A/S tire.

I also have a few hundred in Subie Bucks, so I plan to buy through the dealership (thus limiting my selections), btu if I can get something through them for a good price, I may get another set of Yokohamas.

If not those, I will be looking into other OEM tire selections from various manufacturers.

guys thanks once again! :spin:

for now i am looking for some all-season tires. (at this point cannot afford two sets of tires)

any recommendations?

Where do you live? What kind of snow do you plan to drive in?

Your car (and wheels) can accept 205/50R17 (OE), 215/45R17 or 225/45R17.

I would stick with OE size.

What are your priorities? Milage? Treadwear? Performance? Snow? Ice?

I also have a few hundred in Subie Bucks, so I plan to buy through the dealership (thus limiting my selections), btu if I can get something through them for a good price, I may get another set of Yokohamas.

If not those, I will be looking into other OEM tire selections from various manufacturers.

Car dealership is usually the worst place to get new tires.

Use your Subaru bucks for service or new car.

Krzys

Your car (and wheels) can accept 205/50R17 (OE), 215/45R17 or 225/45R17.

I would stick with OE size.

I have found that a 205/50/17 seems to be more expensive than a 215/ or 225/ 45/17 tire of the same make and model.

I would prefer to maintain the stock rolling diameter, but otherwise, we all know that the same wheels came on the LGT with a 215/45/17. On one application or the other, the speedometer/odometer is off. It HAS to be. Buyers have to decide whether they thing that Subaru calibrated the odometer/speedometer for the GT or the 2.5i tire size.

Car dealership is usually the worst place to get new tires.

Use your Subaru bucks for service or new car.

If they can come up with competetive prices, I will go with them. Otherwise, I will just use them to M&B tires that I buy elsewhere. That way if the TPMS gets mucked up, it is on them.

I was shocked to note that I have just over 50K on the stock yokahamas on my 2.5i SE.

I am pretty much on the same boat. 57k miles, still stock tires, 200 in subaru bucks. subaru dealership quoted ~$600 for new tires ($110 per non-yokohama-tire, mounting, alignment). If i want to go with yokohamas it will be $160 per tire so $800 total. Pretty steep for me.

phenryiv1 please let us know how it works out for you. and i like the idea of using them for m&b and etc.

Where do you live? What kind of snow do you plan to drive in?

I live in New Hampshire and we do get some snow. This winter I did wish I had winter tires a few times but it was nothing unmanageable. Its just I knew my car is able to perform better with proper tires. perhaps it was not the tires themselves that let me down but the wear? At this point I cannot afford a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires.

.What are your priorities? Milage? Treadwear? Performance? Snow? Ice?
I drive 90% highway. Therefore my priorities are road noise/comfort and treadwear. Performance is the next thing (no squeaking in cornering plz :rolleyes:). Not much ice here.

for now it makes sense to find a good set of tires for a reasonable price and mount them at the dealer.

It sounds that you should look for grand touring tires more than high performance.

Use tirerack.com, tires.co to find what you may like and you can always use a printout from their shipping page (cost + S&H) to bargain with local store (like townfair.com).

My recent two sets of tires were bought from town fair tire using internet pricing. I was unable to get tire store to bargain with me so I went to corporate web page, put the tires I want and price that I can get them for and I they matched it nicely.

I scheduled my service through the same web page and they installed my tires quite well.

My best picks for high performance all season tire would be:

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position (215/45R17 or 225/45R17)

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are very good but pricey

some people claim to have good luck with Goodyear Eagle GT

Check this

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=50&diameter=17&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=16&y=9

Krzys

PS How much are you willing to spend?

PS How much are you willing to spend?

I do not want to save on important things (save $40 and ruin my next 60,000 miles) and I do not want to overpay for minimal gain (will i notice the difference between ultra high and high performance if I mostly just commute on highway?). In the end, can I get something that is a better value than stock yokohamas? (would perform same or better for the same or lower price). Ideally I would like to pay around $500 for the set of four. realistic?

With or without installation?

The cheapest all season tire that I would consider would be 215/45R17 Goodyear Eagle GT or BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S for $103.00 each + S&H(tirerack).

But I would still need to read consumer opinions on the web and some tire tests.

Michelins and Bridgestones are roughly $160.00 each + S&H.

Krzys

I do not want to save on important things (save $40 and ruin my next 60,000 miles) and I do not want to overpay for minimal gain (will i notice the difference between ultra high and high performance if I mostly just commute on highway?). In the end, can I get something that is a better value than stock yokohamas? (would perform same or better for the same or lower price). Ideally I would like to pay around $500 for the set of four. realistic?

You can get several tires for around $400, before mount and balance.

Falken Ziex 512 or 912

Kumho Ecsta AST or ASX

Sumitomo HTR A/S (a new tire, but the old HTR+ was a GREAT tire for the money)

BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S (new-ish, but good ratings)

For highway comfort, I'd stick with the 205/50 over a 215- or 225/45, but for some reason the 205/50s are priced slightly higher (weird).

thanks guys!

You can get several tires for around $400, before mount and balance.

Falken Ziex 512 or 912

Kumho Ecsta AST or ASX

Sumitomo HTR A/S (a new tire, but the old HTR+ was a GREAT tire for the money)

BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S (new-ish, but good ratings)

For highway comfort, I'd stick with the 205/50 over a 215- or 225/45, but for some reason the 205/50s are priced slightly higher (weird).

it is not the first time the BFG g-Force are mentioned. hmm. ;)

What does the ride comfort depend on? Tire width?

Also how about tire noise, what does it depend on?

My opionions - not facts.

ride comfort?

aspect ratio, tire construction, metarials, tire pressure

noise?

tread design, materials, tire pressure and road itself.

Krzys

I would agree 100% with these statements.

I just ordered a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS from Discounttiredirect. $500 shipped.

I found out that at many dealerships, you can't use SubieBucks for tires (because they are not a Subaru part or service), but you can use them for services (like the M&B). Some dealerships may allow it, but my local one would not.

please let us know how you like them.

They arrived today. I hope to get them on this week. I am tired of commuting on my track tires.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/Legacy/Continentals01.jpg

Archived