LegacyGT.com

Torque Converter shudder

Ok, now I'm pretty sure that the shudder is coming from my torque converter as it tries to lock up. The shudder is occasional (maybe once every other day) in 3rd gear just before it shifts to 4th (07 Legacy 2.5 i - 4EAT). There is a 400 RPM jump when the shudder quits. Will this shudder get worse (more frequent) if I don't get a new T.C. Can I just "get used to it" and just drive it?

There was another active thread about this same problem recently. Sounds like Subaru has a service bulletin out on it. I would imagine the problem would get worse if anything. You should contact a service provider with your VIN to see if it is covered.

Trans fluid was replaced at 53K when I bought it. Shudder was noticed around 65K. I have 66K on it now. Could a "special Hi-Po" trans fluid help or reduce the shudder? (I also have had to replace a front left wheel bearing, a complete rear diff, and it has a weird hum, hum, hum coming from the front end at certain highway speeds-that the dealership can't pinpoint). Frustrated!

U can check my prior posts if you'd like cause I tried getting help with something similar. I have a problem with a shudder going from 2nd to 3rd since I've owned my car. But I have a 5EAT so total different tranny. I've got 70K on my 2005 now so I guess I just got used to it. But with regular maintenance I haven't had any problems

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/anyone-have-problemi-2005-legacy-2-5gt-19584.html?t=19584

Trans fluid was replaced at 53K when I bought it. Shudder was noticed around 65K. I have 66K on it now. Could a "special Hi-Po" trans fluid help or reduce the shudder? (I also have had to replace a front left wheel bearing, a complete rear diff, and it has a weird hum, hum, hum coming from the front end at certain highway speeds-that the dealership can't pinpoint). Frustrated!

If they used regular trans oil to service it, that could be the cause. Subaru issued a TSB or something, about not using anything else than Subaru oil will cause problems like you talked about.

I did a drain & fill with about 6 or 7 quarts of genuine Subaru trans fluid. I changed it because I just bought the car and I changed all the fluids. I stopped at a Suby dealership and they recommended a flush. The service writer said Subaru does not recommend any trans fluid aditives but the mechanic said they use a Pen Ray cleaner and also a conditioner.

Why is Subaru so adamant about "use no additives"?

Why is Subaru so adamant about "use no additives"?

Most if not all automotive manufacturers state that no additives should be used.

It's pretty much industry standard, not just Subaru. ;)

Why? Because your vehicle was designed to properly operate with the fluids that were filled from the factory.

Additives are a band-aid fix at best and does not address the root cause of your transmission problem.

How often was the transmission fluid changed in those 53k miles before you bought it?

Was the car abused before you bought it?

Was the car used in drag races before you bought it?

There are probably many variables that contributed to the condition that the TC is in now.

Have you considered a rebuilt transmission swap?

if i shift with the buttons then going into third from second then it kinda thups every once and a while as if it just wacked something in the tranny and same thing when i down shift into frist but only once and a while and only when i use the 5eat in manual mode

• 8 months later...
Other data: I have a legacy 2.0 4EAT. I have checked many things and I'm convinced TQ is shuddering. This started at 115,000 km (divide by 1.6 for miles). when engine was cold and started up, a smooth vibration happened when engine moved toward idle (when gets working T°) when moveclose to 1,200 rpm and dissapear. It looks like is the only moment when shuddle. With time, now with 5,000 additional km, shuddle is quite strong and you might confuse if there is no shuddle after 1,500 rpm, but there is, you just might not feel it due higher frequency/rpm...I think Subaru knows about this problem and have a replacement kit for +$2,500... is dissapointing for me...after 4 subarus, I'm moving to other brand...

Torque converters are close tolerances and precision pieces. Change the fluid, shudder usually means lock up clutches are slipping. Fresh fluid should clean off the glazing and restore smooth shifts. Whatever fluid was used the last change was crap, not enough anti-oxidation additives. If you pull the dipstick, you'll probably find the fluid a dark red instead of bright red and smells funny.

Years ago Royal Purple sold a full synthetic tranny fluid with their special additive in it, it was awesome in my drag cars, but they stopped making it because Chrysler transmissions would shudder between 3rd-4 up shifts. The lock up clutches were the problem, thing is, those trannys usually puked at 70k miles anyway.

Torque converters are close tolerances and precision pieces. Change the fluid, shudder usually means lock up clutches are slipping. Fresh fluid should clean off the glazing and restore smooth shifts. Whatever fluid was used the last change was crap, not enough anti-oxidation additives. If you pull the dipstick, you'll probably find the fluid a dark red instead of bright red and smells funny.

Years ago Royal Purple sold a full synthetic tranny fluid with their special additive in it, it was awesome in my drag cars, but they stopped making it because Chrysler transmissions would shudder between 3rd-4 up shifts. The lock up clutches were the problem, thing is, those trannys usually puked at 70k miles anyway.

yeah but how can we flush the fluid in the torque converter? It's damn near impossible without taking it out right?

yeah but how can we flush the fluid in the torque converter? It's damn near impossible without taking it out right?

Ask a reputable service shop if they use a trans flush machine. (Yes, you will have to take it in to a shop unless you can pony up for your own)

http://www.maplewoodtransmission.com/shops/10/service434.jpg

Dirty Dan, I did but is not bright red and I will do it again -thanks, however the dealer saw the car and said there is worn parts and there is a replacement kit for that...regardles shudder, there is no lack of power, noises, leaks or bad smell.... please your perspective...in other way, what if run the engine to empty the TQ ATF?

Archived