LegacyGT.com

Dealership found big problems - help!

2005 Legacy GT in relatively good condition with about 150,000 miles on it. Chicago winters haven't been kind but its a great car nonetheless. I want to keep it running as long as possible and figure that putting a few thousand dollars into it is better than selling and getting a new car with money I don't have.

I usually get my oil changed at the dealership because its convenient and cheap. While there, they did some extra work and inspection at the 150k mile mark and found a laundry list of stuff that needs work. Dealership quote ~$10,000; local mechanic quote ~$5,000. Anyways, here's the list of things that need to be fixed:

1. Leaking head gasket. Repairs would entail water pump replacement, timing belt etc. (correct me if I'm wrong)

2. They also want to replace the power steering pump. It's leaked since I've had the car so I'm not worried about this one. I usually replace the O ring if its gets squirley in cold weather.

3. Rack and pinion leaking - they want to replace this.

4. Rear links loose with worn bushings. They want to replace sway bar links and bushings, which seems reasonable.

5. In trying to adjust my alignment, they found that the camber bolts are seized and they want to replace the lateral control arms.

My big question is: what is worth doing? (I figure all of it) and where is there an opportunity to make some small upgrades or do some things since the engine will be torn apart and out of the car?

Most of it's worth doing but not at the dealership.

The oil leak at the valve cover, not the head gasket is a common problem but easily fixed. By removing and replacing the valve cover gasket.

DSCN4732.thumb.JPG.32c21907d508f8082a181e712a227f5f.JPG

GT's don't normally have a true head gasket leak. There's my passenger side at 154,000 miles.

I replaced my PS pump a few years back as well as the steering rack back in June 2012. I top off the PS fluid every few month's as needed. Not a big issue.

Rear sway bar as well as front sway bar ends links are about $80 in parts and easy for a repair shop to replace, I use Moog sway bar end links.

Any repair shop with an alignment rack can fix the camber bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Definitely not having the dealership do it, I have a shop half a mile away that does work on my car and is reasonably priced.

So if the GT's don't usually have a head gasket leak, how do I get them to figure this out without taking the engine apart etc? I'll admit I'm no mechanic and don't have the time to go through the process either.

Regarding the camber bolts, the dealership did an alignment for $100 while they changed the oil and that's what they told me, that they needed to do those specific repairs.

If you have a good flashlight you can look up under the passenger side head and see what I pictured above. The seam at the head to block is dry.

DSCN4733.thumb.JPG.6e723923fc076189050ec4f37b8d2c52.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

When the valve cover is off replace the spark plugs at that time

Timing belt Aisin kit is replaced at 10 years or 105,000 miles. Do not use the Gates Kit.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

That's a good link to parts, make note of the different post about timing belts and other parts. I have a post there about the Aisin belts kit.

Edited by Max Capacity

The $10k was the dealership, which I definitely wouldn't consider. There is a shop near me that's done most of the work on my car that said ~$5k including a new clutch too.

I love the car, that's why I want to do the work and figure out what else I can squeeze in while the engine is out and the labor costs are already there.

Yea check the quarters for rust and stuff. I believe chocoholic's build thread details all the rust he had on a wagon he got in Chicago area.

Like others have said, you need to check the valve cover gaskets. Get under there with some scrubbing bubbles and a rag, clean it and check where the leaks come back at.

Steering racks can be rebuilt but you can also find low mileage used ones around, swap one of those in with new bushings and new outer tie rods. Mine is also leaking, it's not uncommon.

Sway bar links are super common problems, and should be a cheap and easy fix. Honestly if you have a few tools and ramps, this one wouldn't be too bad to do yourself.

Replacing the lateral control arms is crazy for frozen bolts. Take it somewhere else for that.

Definitely not having the dealership do it, I have a shop half a mile away that does work on my car and is reasonably priced.

So if the GT's don't usually have a head gasket leak, how do I get them to figure this out without taking the engine apart etc? I'll admit I'm no mechanic and don't have the time to go through the process either.

Regarding the camber bolts, the dealership did an alignment for $100 while they changed the oil and that's what they told me, that they needed to do those specific repairs.

Bro you are in Chi town as your sig says, take the time and see if 6 star motor sports, or boosted performance tuning can get you in to work on that car. they will be tuning my car. they might be a drive but it is worth your money.

They are the kind of people who will tell you what really needs to be fixed. Not just take your money.

if the car is running good now, take your time and save a bit and have them do it. they are very good, and trusted in work.

Bro you are in Chi town as your sig says, take the time and see if 6 star motor sports, or boosted performance tuning can get you in to work on that car. they will be tuning my car. they might be a drive but it is worth your money.

They are the kind of people who will tell you what really needs to be fixed. Not just take your money.

if the car is running good now, take your time and save a bit and have them do it. they are very good, and trusted in work.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into a time to drive out there. I'm in the city so that's a bit of a trek.