LegacyGT.com

Crazy Idea... 6MT swap for 3.6R

So I was recently thinking if it is even possible to 6MT swap a 5EAT in a 2010 3.6R. I know that it is possible to bolt a 6MT to an EZ36D because MightyCarMods did it, but how would the TCM react and the various computers. Not sure how it would effect the stability control. Would swapping a TCM along with other miscellaneous parts from a Legacy GT work?

Also, I wonder if the longer EZ36D may push back the transmission too far where the front axles don't work and there could be a driveshaft issue.

Anyways, I am just brainstorming a crazy idea. Just wanted the forums' opinion on doing such a thing. (if it is even worth it)

Thanks 👍

So I was recently thinking if it is even possible to 6MT swap a 5EAT in a 2010 3.6R. I know that it is possible to bolt a 6MT to an EZ36D because MightyCarMods did it, but how would the TCM react and the various computers. Not sure how it would effect the stability control. Would swapping a TCM along with other miscellaneous parts from a Legacy GT work?

Also, I wonder if the longer EZ36D may push back the transmission too far where the front axles don't work and there could be a driveshaft issue.

Anyways, I am just brainstorming a crazy idea. Just wanted the forums' opinion on doing such a thing. (if it is even worth it)

Thanks [emoji106]

Mechanically it all bolts up fine. It's the canbus and wiring harnesses that gets complicated. And if you are going through all that trouble go with an sti 6mt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mechanically it all bolts up fine. It's the canbus and wiring harnesses that gets complicated. And if you are going through all that trouble go with an sti 6mt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

True, I would definitely go with an STi variant of the 6MT. I know there are different drive ratios as well. Also, not sure if the axles are different, since STi's usually use the 5x114.3 hub and all that maybe different.

Yeah, the CANBUS is what I am mostly worried about. I may be wrong but in older Subarus', the inhibitor switch was the only thing needed to do in a swap, now it is much more complicated. I don't think it would be too hard to provide various sensors like the front axle speed and rear axle speed, but I am not sure about the kick-down stuff and engine torque management. Getting the DCCD working on a 6MT is another challenge.

I just have been thinking a lot about this lately. I really like the 3.6 but I wish it was offered with a manual. It would change everything about the car. I know some say it is just easier to buy a WRX or something but I don't want to get rid of this car.

I know the 2010-2011 Legacy GT 6MT has a cable driven shifter assembly. Thus said, to make a 6MT work in a 5th-gen probably requires some fabrication of the shifter assembly. (or Subaru would have just used a normal shifter)

But I am more worried about this. I heard that the reason they made a cable shifter assembly, is to keep the 6MT in the same footprint as the 5MT. Therefore, this leads me to believe that there may not be enough room to fit an actual STi 6MT.

Not sure if this is accurate but I read this somewhere back then.

Oh thank you for this. I just thought it wasn't done before.

The STI trans fits almost like it was meant to be in there to begin with. The issue starts when you try to get the canbus system to continue working normally without the 5eat and tcm in place. The DCCD and wheel speed sensors aren't an issue.

The STI trans fits almost like it was meant to be in there to begin with. The issue starts when you try to get the canbus system to continue working normally without the 5eat and tcm in place. The DCCD and wheel speed sensors aren't an issue.

Yeah, sadly it's not an easy task if it is even possible.

Yeah, sadly it's not an easy task if it is even possible.

If you are really interested in such a project hit up XRT and see what it would take to get the 5eat to run with a manual trans if it is even possible. Ed has more experience with the stock ecm coding than nearly anyone I can recall. And he has worked in tuning the 3.6 for a while now.