LegacyGT.com

Best value exhaust that doesnt sound terrible

I have a 2011 2.5i manual, 120k that has developed a couple leaks...Haven't had it on a lift to verify but it sounds like the crossover pipe up front and the flange at the axleback section is definitely shot. I assume the rest of the exhaust is probably in the same condition since I live in NY.

What's the best value (not necessarily the cheapest) option for parts? This is a bone stock manual 2.5i so I don't need dual exhaust or extra noise, but dont want it to sound super cheap either.

The cheapest solution is probably to bring it to an exhaust shop to have them fix the leaks. I know on my '12 2.5i that the rear axle back flange was getting really thin from rust. (My 2009 has new mufflers from a prior owner) An exhaust shop can easily cut that flange off and weld it together and it should last a few more years for minimal cost. The front crossover pipe is part of the exhaust manifolds. The mid pipe that goes from the manifolds to middle of the car has a catalytic converter in it. My 2012 and 2009 my current 2009 2.5i front pipes & manifold all look fine to me. The only issue I have had is the heat shield rattling from rusting out.

The cheapest replacement solution would be to buy an aftermarket replacement exhaust like on Rockauto but my experience is those don't last as long as the OEM parts.

If I was going to DIY a stock system, Walker makes a replacement axleback muffler with lifetime warranty, available from local auto parts stores. But their mid pipe only has a one year warranty. So I’d probably look elsewhere for a replacement mid pipe, maybe even oem since the original made it almost ten years. I would avoid purchasing from an online only vendor if the warranty requires returning the original failed item.

If I was going to DIY a stock system, Walker makes a replacement axleback muffler with lifetime warranty, available from local auto parts stores. But their mid pipe only has a one year warranty. So I’d probably look elsewhere for a replacement mid pipe, maybe even oem since the original made it almost ten years. I would avoid purchasing from an online only vendor if the warranty requires returning the original failed item.

That's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks. I have no experience with oem style replacement parts and generally go OEM on my dailys because they do last, but $1400+ for a manifold is a bit steep. Is Walker as good a choice as any?

Funny, when I was comparing parts options for this thread a few days ago I came across a used magnaflow manifold on eBay. Seller has been lowering the price every couple days and eBay has been alerting me. It’s now $178 with free shipping...might want to research it a little if you haven’t decided yet:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283774486993