LegacyGT.com

Wheel spacers for stock rims

i'll have to go find it, but i'm 99% positive that tirerack has a minimum # of lug rotations for proper/minimum engagement, and would use that as a defacto, personally.

though given that #, i'm pretty sure 3mm is the maximum thickness of spacer you can use with stock hubs/wheels/lugs/studs.

could always get longer studs, but that's 5 studs per hub to press out and back in, and would be easiest off the car. for the parts and labor involved, you won't get anything very "agressive". better off geting some used wheels with the "agressive" stance you want.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I'd probably get a spacer that had built in studs.

I think that would set the minimum thickness at 15mm. Doing some research tells me you can't put studs in less than 15mm

then you'll start wearing out your wheel bearings faster than normal, since you're applying an uneven load to them vs. stock. think of it as a lever arm, like a teeter totter, where the further you push out the wheels, the more unbalanced the load is on the bearing. they already don't last too long, but if you're ready for the "consequences" of the mod, then have at it!

at the end of the day, it's your car, so do what you want!

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

then you'll start wearing out your wheel bearings faster than normal, since you're applying an uneven load to them vs. stock. think of it as a lever arm, like a teeter totter, where the further you push out the wheels, the more unbalanced the load is on the bearing. they already don't last too long, but if you're ready for the "consequences" of the mod, then have at it!

at the end of the day, it's your car, so do what you want!

A wheel spacer does nothing but change the wheel offset.

If what you said was true then any aftermarket rim that has a different offset from stock would "wear the bearings faster". Which doesn't happen. I'm not looking to stance my wheels out ridiculously. Just looking for the oem rims to sit more flush.

I've run 15 and 20mm spacers with the built in studs on several vehicles without issue. I have 20mm on my 05 OBXT now with the LGT OEM rims. Still sits inboard too much, but would be better with the OB wheels which have 7mm less offset.

Were you lowered at all?

I'm running JDM wagon bilstein suspension, so clearances are a bit tighter.

You need around 7-8 full turns of the lugnut to ensure the lug maintains the proper torque (i.e. it doesnt loosen up overtime). There was a rough calculation by a couple of real-life engineers on NASIOC many years ago regarding lug size/thread/pitch and the manufacturer torque setting (subaru recommends around 75lb/ft).

5mm is the common internet logic for thickest spacer with stock wheel studs.

I have 5 mm on the rear with 18x9et40. It's not really noticeable visually having them on or not.

Just on the rears? Always wondered if that was good for the AWD. The OB rear definitely needs a lower offset than the front.

Just on the rears? Always wondered if that was good for the AWD. The OB rear definitely needs a lower offset than the front.

Well for the past 3 years I have 5mm spacers in the rear during summer/spring, and 5mm spacers in the front during winter.

Why? Because my winter rims need 5mm to clear the Nissan brakes and I'm too forgetful to store the spacers somewhere else :lol:.

Do you rub at all?

Not much, I am going to swap the front adapters for 15mm whenever they come in so I can drop the front a little lower. The plastic fender liner rubbed a bit but they sit pretty much perfect. You can see more pics of the wheels on LGT suspension in the first post on my "build" thread.

I will definitely post pics once the 15mm spacers come in.

• 2 months later...

Archived