LegacyGT.com

Stage 3 critique request

Flinkly

So I've finally had it with waiting to do what I want to my 08 OBXT, and trying to work piece-meal through upgrades (to help me think I'm not spending a lot). That doesn't really work as I don't know enough to keep it's tune running well (Romraider with Tactrix 2.0), and don't want to spend $150 on an e-tune each time I add a few parts here and there.

Looking for an increase over stage 2 without needing engine work and keeping it reasonable for a DD.

So with that said, I was going to PM a few e-tuners to get their opinions and critiques on my build plan, but figured I'd start a thread so that others could garner info from it as well.

What I already have purchased/installed:

• DW 850cc injectors
  • Cobb DP, ceramic coated and DEI Ti wrapped
  • Walbro 255lph fuel pump

EDITED: The rest of the un-purchased engine parts I was thinking of:

• VF52 - ceramic coated hotside and Perrin blanketed
  • Grimmspeed EBCS
  • OEM Up, mani and cross - Ceramic coated and DEI Ti wrapped
  • Turbosmart Kompact BPV
  • AVO TMIC (can't wait for GS)
  • Clutch (would really love some opinions here)
  • Perrin/Samco Turbo Inlet

With this I'd like to be around 300hp on 92, and if/when I get bored of that, I'll have the room for an E85 "boost".

I also already have a Bosch Wideband thru a PLX AFR and can log with Romraider successfully (had some difficulties with the PLX output and what Romraider expected).

And I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'd like to keep and improve the current fuel economy I get, which is 28 mpg for me on 92. Would wrapping my exhaust push my turbo spool too far to the left for 2.5k and below normal city/highway driving? Even with a "larger" turbo? I can log my daily commute if it'd help. I just don't want to be in boost constantly :rolleyes:

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

save on the port n polish stuff, the money spent for minimal gains is not really worth it. IF you want gains with a header get an equal length.

The VF52 is a great option. 16G will just have more up top as far as holding boost to redline, the VF will fade a little bit. Get whichever one keeps your pocket lighter. I personally would go FMIC instead of TMIC (but you would have to get an after market intake unless you went racer x)

Clutch, i had an exedy stage 1 w wrx flywheel and loved it. I had a very similar setup to you and it was great.

Dont forget to to check the overal health of your motor before doing all this. do a compression and leakdown test to makes sure it will withstand the mods. Gl

I've heard the same over and over again, and i'll admit that what I really want is ceramic coating inside and out.

getting the manifolds from grimmspeed also allows me to have a usable car due to their exchange program. or I could get a set of OEM pipes for $80-100 and have them coated locally.

but my local ceramic coater is pretty expensive and so it's pretty even price-wise to go with grimmspeed and the PNP rather than go local and be without a car for a week for the same cash.

but not getting manifolds or turbo PNP'd at grimmspeed would save $500 off the parts list. and with that, i'll research my alternatives for coating again. :)

You should be ok on the DW850s on both pump gas and E85. Your tuner would be able to tell you for sure.

Good call on the Grimmspeed EBCS. I love mine.

Probably don't need an UP on the VF52.

OEM manifold PnP is overkill on this build.

Look into the Forge BPV. Very well built unit.

Wait for the Grimmspeed TMIC if you can. Or look at a Process West if you can't. AVO isn't bad, but the two aforementioned take care of some of the flaws in the AVO unit.

I have the Clutchmaster FX300 in my stage 3 build. It feels like the stock clutch. There is no chatter whatsoever and it handles the power you are looking for.

Your proposed parts list is pretty similar to what I have on my 05 OBXT.

Not including forged internals, my OBXT has:

VF52

AVO Turbo Inlet

DW 750cc Injectors (or 740, I forget)

DW 65 Fuel Pump

GrimmSpeed OEM Port/Polished/Coated Collector

Invidia Catless UP

Cobb Catted DP with Wrap

IPR TMIC

Turbosmart Kompact BPV

GrimmSpeed EBCS

TGV Deletes

Nameless Performance resonated midpipe (stock mufflers)

Last month in ~75F ambient temps, my OBXT put down peak 303 whp / 339 wtq on Procom Racing's Mustang AWD 500 SE dyno. This, w/ less than stellar 120 compression (110 on cyl 3) and slightly higher than optimal leakdown (10%, except 13% on cyl 3).

I would think w/ a good tune on 92 oct pump gas, you'd probably run similar numbers.

You should be ok on the DW850s on both pump gas and E85. Your tuner would be able to tell you for sure.

Good call on the Grimmspeed EBCS. I love mine.

Probably don't need an UP on the VF52.

OEM manifold PnP is overkill on this build.

Look into the Forge BPV. Very well built unit.

Wait for the Grimmspeed TMIC if you can. Or look at a Process West if you can't. AVO isn't bad, but the two aforementioned take care of some of the flaws in the AVO unit.

I have the Clutchmaster FX300 in my stage 3 build. It feels like the stock clutch. There is no chatter whatsoever and it handles the power you are looking for.

In my own testing on the dyno the AVO makes just as much power as the PW and heat soaks LESS!!!

Also, my in house testing results have been less than spectacular with the GS WRX/STi TMIC. Those too heatsoak far too fast (2nd pull).

If willing to spend $1k on a TMIC, why not go FMIC?

In my own testing on the dyno the AVO makes just as much power as the PW and heat soaks LESS!!!

Also, my in house testing results have been less than spectacular with the GS WRX/STi TMIC. Those too heatsoak far too fast (2nd pull).

If willing to spend $1k on a TMIC, why not go FMIC?

That's interesting and a little disappointing.

A couple of things I didn't like about the AVO are the way they bolt the BPV valve on the top with the threads through the core and the way the holes line up from the turbo to the IC. I had some leaking on mine. I was hoping for a little better fitment. It was nothing a bunch of silicone couldn't fix, I just didn't like using it.

No aftermarket TMIC is perfect. I have installed them all. AVO is still the best fit, imho. When I have run TMIC's on my LGT's I used AVO (and that was before I had a means to more easily test them).

ID1000's flow about 900cc. If it were my STi on a DOM3.0, I would use larger. Like the ID1300s. Something tells me the turbos boost is tapered up top as the injectors run out of headroom. I just spec'd ID1300's for a 2012 STi DOM 2.5xtr build.

No aftermarket TMIC is perfect. I have installed them all. AVO is still the best fit, imho. When I have run TMIC's on my LGT's I used AVO (and that was before I had a means to more easily test them).

ID1000's flow about 900cc. If it were my STi on a DOM3.0, I would use larger. Like the ID1300s. Something tells me the turbos boost is tapered up top as the injectors run out of headroom. I just spec'd ID1300's for a 2012 STi DOM 2.5xtr build.

The problem is that you can't run ID1300s with e85 because they are not stainless. A lot of tuners tell people not to run them on e85

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't have a stellar reason for staying TMIC, but it's what I like/want, and I don't think I'll get far enough into power mods to NEED an FMIC (famous last words). I've also decided not to stick around for the GS TMIC, so AVO it is!

I updated the first post listing with engine mods. here it is again too:

• VF52 - ceramic coated hotside and Perrin blanketed (uprated actuator?)
  • Grimmspeed EBCS
  • OEM Up, mani and cross - Ceramic coated and DEI Ti wrapped
  • Turbosmart Kompact BPV
  • AVO TMIC (can't wait for GS)
  • Clutch (would really love some more opinions here, Clutchmaster FX300 sounds good though...)
  • Perrin/Samco Turbo Inlet

And for grins, here are the other non-engine parts i'm looking at:

• Samco radiator, coolant and intercooler hose sets (my coolant hoses suck)
  • AVO front and rear sway bars (already have rear AVO reinforced mounts)
  • KYB GR2 shocks
  • 2004 STI BBS 5x100 silver wheels w/ Conti DWS tires (want reduced weight, like the strength and looks. also hate my Dunlop rubber)
  • Primitive Racing Full Armor (skidplates, my plastic sucks and I take this offroad)
  • LGT discs and calipers (this won't happen soon, have "newish" OEM OBXT brakes)

The problem is that you can't run ID1300s with e85 because they are not stainless. A lot of tuners tell people not to run them on e85

LOL. :lol::lol::lol:

You sir have been misled:

The ID1300 is an all new injector, designed in partnership with Bosch Motorsport*

This collaboration has given us the ability to design a high flow injector with characteristics specific to the needs the high-performance tuner.

The ID1300 was designed with alternative fuels in mind, and is the only performance injector available with all stainless internals. It is compatible with all known fuels, and will stand up to the corrosive nature of alcohol better than any injector on the market.

While the ID1300 was designed with an eye towards ethanol fueled engines, we have accounted for the occasional need to convert back to gasoline. The ID1300 has a minimum fuel mass compatible with gasoline use, and will provide exceptional idle and cruise behavior under these conditions.

Then please stop spreading interweb rumor (which will turn into gospel). Not sure why efi is giving mis-information. It is easy enough to go to the manufacturers website and get the info straight from the source.

ID injectors are the preferred injector for e-85.

Then please stop spreading interweb rumor (which will turn into gospel). Not sure why efi is giving mis-information. It is easy enough to go to the manufacturers website and get the info straight from the source.

ID injectors are the preferred injector for e-85.

Lol ok man relax like you said I was mis-informed..

anyways man good luck with whatever combo you go with!

Archived