LegacyGT.com

96 LGT 2.5 idling ROUGH after kerosene poured in fuel tank

Wow.. I haven't been on here in a very long time. Last December was when I last checked in haha

Anyways... Down to the matter at hand.

The car:

1996 Legacy GT

251 Short block from '99 Outback

A few months ago I ran out of gas... I was brought a tank of kerosene (the red/pink household stuff). I didn't realize it until I started draining the fuel system, but we'll get to that.

Anyways, I limped the car home, drained the fuel system, and removed the fuel filter. Limped consisted of 4k plus sustained for about 10 miles or it wouldn't move. It would stall, back fire, etc... Couldn't figure it out.

So, moving on to diagnoses after the tank was drained. I had, and continue to have a rough idle. I found a few issues:

Low compression on drivers side of the motor. Passenger side was all 190-210 (yeah, this motor was tight. Fak....) I replaced the entire drivers side head assembly and head gasket. I do not know if compression has returned, I haven't had a chance to check. If not, we have a ring issue...

Pulling harness off drivers side injectors caused a rougher idle, but never would it stall. Pulling the passengers injector harness caused instant stalling. I've replaced these, that particular weirdness has gone away

I've replaced the plugs. Others were fouled.

I pulled the fuel filter and replaced it with a bypass line. I haven't installed a new one.

I haven't touched anything else.

Thoughts??

• 2 weeks later...

injector cleaner?

disconnect the feed line going to the fuel rails

and let it pump clean fuel into a jar or bucket.

remove and clean the ''sock'' on the fuel line pick up at the fuel filter.

buy some high octane fuel additive and run that thru.

maybe try some sea foam.

check your plugs again,

they may be re-fouled.

but my guess is injectors.

goods luck.

Pink kerosene is some evil s**t. You're going to have to find a way to clean out your entire fuel system, and definitely check the injectors. You may also want to check the pistons, their ringlands, and the rings in all the cylinders. Just a handful of pink kerosene can start a nasty inferno a story high. I don't even want to imagine what it did to the internals for 10mi.

I would also check your A/F ration sensor and O2 sensor, and cat converter. Kerosene can have some bad effects on these components, possible that it partially melted down your converter and sensors. If all that checks out, find someone with a bore scope to check the interiors of each cylinder through the spark plug hole. Could definitely have some meltdown in there from that sustained RPM as DOHCEJ22E1 stated earlier. I hope this info helps!

I replaced the injectors. They were a bit tainted in color. No change.

Fuel is coming through the body lines clear as day. I'll have to drop the tank to are sure that there is absolutely none left that can be pulled ever again.

I still haven't replaced the fuel filter.

I want to run one of those additives that helps remove water from fuel lines.

I haven't checked the new plugs to see if they fouled again.

I also haven't checked compression again since te head gasket. Side note to this, I used my bore scope prior to pulling the head and I couldn't see anything wrong. Also, when head was off: Ring lands were fine. It's hard to say for the rings themselves. I couldn't see much. A second compression test will confirm this.

I also thought about the cats. I'm gonna pull the mid pipe and get a look at them. I've already planned on bending up a new pipe and installing some high flow cats I have laying around.

If I'm honest... I'm assuming it's a ring problem. Probably going to have to tear her down and just rebuild the entire motor while I'm in there.

I had a Honda about ten years ago that came in on the hook after getting a tank of diesel and the pistons were melted. I know...apples and oranges... but this customer had also "forced" a gas engine to run on diesel. In one cylinder the piston had melted away down to the top ring, exposing the ring in several places. For what it's worth.

Archived