LegacyGT.com

Alarm Install, help needed please

Hello everyone, been reading this forum a bit since I bought my Legacy Sedan last year and have finally come to post to ask for your assistance!

I recently installed a Mongoose MAP80 and it is all good and running with both sensors and two immobilisers, apart from one thing I can't figure out.

http://mongoose.com.au/vehicle-installation-manuals/MAP80inst.pdf

On the left hand side of the first page about half way down it talks about the DISARM#2 cable. Now, I can't find a unlock or factory alarm disarm signal wire anywhere in the cars BIU, so it says as an alternative you can hook it up to the hazard lights. But that would mean that if you broke into the car you could turn the hazards on and use the drivers door unlock to disarm the MAP80 alarm (at the moment with DISARM#2 not wired in you can disarm the alarm (MAP80) by simply using the drivers door unlock).

So my question is, does anyone know of such a control wire to use?

Or would it be a good option to use, say, the right indicator signal instead of the hazards and run it through a relay which is controlled by a engine running signal. That way, you couldn't turn it to ACC, flick the indicator, drivers door unlock, and disarm the alarm (MAP80).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

BadCo.

EDIT: I have googled thoroughly for this but have only found remote starter alarm installs.

EDIT2: For clarification.

What do you mean disarm..ie disarm factory alarm? I assume you did that already or the alarm wouldn't work properly. If you mean disarm your own alarm... wasn't there a flip kill switch with your kit? Either way..I probably wouldn't bother hooking it up......

What do you mean disarm..ie disarm factory alarm? I assume you did that already or the alarm wouldn't work properly. If you mean disarm your own alarm... wasn't there a flip kill switch with your kit? Either way..I probably wouldn't bother hooking it up......

Not too sure what you are saying. If I don't connect DISARM#2 then it will be very easy to disarm the MAP80 without the remote. Not sure which disarm you are talking about, but I'll clarify in my original post.

The MAP80 is designed to be used in conjunction with your factory remotes and immobilisers.

Eesh I'm not a whiz with electronics.. but reading it.. I still think you can leave it. It says "do not use optional light if factory alarm equipped with hazard or light blinking" So.. yes, the factory alarm has a light blink.

Also it says it is used to turn off your alarm, but disarming it if you turn your key in the lock (ie the lock signal ground wire) So.. if you don't even bother hooking it up, then the only way to disarm it is with the remote.. still fine.

I'd leave it... or.. I can't remember the wiring anymore if each door had a pulse signal or not. But.. seeing as you have to pulse it twice to unlock all doors vs just one...

Eesh I'm not a whiz with electronics.. but reading it.. I still think you can leave it. It says "do not use optional light if factory alarm equipped with hazard or light blinking" So.. yes, the factory alarm has a light blink.

Yeah this is why I've been trying to find a factory disarm signal in the BIU. Maybe something I can use is that little red key that blinks in the dash? The reason they don't want you to use the hazards if you have a factory alarm is because you can disarm the MAP80 by turning the hazards on and using the drivers door unlock.

Also it says it is used to turn off your alarm, but disarming it if you turn your key in the lock (ie the lock signal ground wire) So.. if you don't even bother hooking it up, then the only way to disarm it is with the remote.. still fine.

Not quite, its for preventing disarming by using the key in the lock. The idea is to only be able to disarm the alarm through the factory remote, so the MAP80 needs two disarm signals from DISARM and DISARM#2. If it only gets one signal, from the drivers unlock, or, by using the key to unlock the drivers door then the alarm will not disarm.

I'd leave it... or.. I can't remember the wiring anymore if each door had a pulse signal or not. But.. seeing as you have to pulse it twice to unlock all doors vs just one...

Each door does have a pulse signal, but these are all diode separated for the DISARM cable. Is there a signal back from each door that says they have unlocked? But even that wouldn't work...

Remember, if I don't hook it up it would be very easy to disarm the alarm by simply using the drivers door unlock once you have broken into the car.

Ideally I should have done my research first and bought a upgrade alarm that learns your cars arm/disarm instead of it having to be told what to do.

rice_rocket, I appreciate your help. Hopefully if we bounce enough ideas back and forth something will pop up haha.

BadCo.

EDIT: On a side note, my remote only requires one click to unlock all doors.

Ok I think I have been misinterpreting the disarm defeat.

At the moment with out it hooked up if you unlock the drivers door with the key and open it the MAP80 goes off. Which is good, so disarming through that method, is defeated.

But if you leave the drivers window open and someone comes along and uses the drivers door unlock then the MAP80 will disarm, not good.

I tried hooking it up to the indicator flash wire but I can't seem to be able to reprogram the MAP80 to accept this input on DISARM#2.

Maybe I should just leave DISARM#2 not hooked up, its driving me nuts!

Archived