LegacyGT.com

Three pod gage holder on A-Pillar

kelly

I would like to put gages in my GT and I wanted to know if there is a company that makes pods for this car?

Has anyone put gages in there GT yet? or is it a waste of money?

The gages that I would like to put in is 1. boost 2. EGT 3. oil pressure

Does everyone feel these are the three best gages to put in and I'm going to use eletric ones without question.

Kelly

Is there an airbag behind the A-pillar pod on the LGT?

Putting gauges in is not a waste of money. It just depends on what gauges you put in there. Boost and EGT would be useful. Oil pressure would probably be useful too. A couple people have used the little cubby above the stereo to put a couple gauges. Nobody has put one in the A-pillar yet. I haven't seen any pods made for our cars yet that hold more than one gauge.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I don't know how that piece is set up right now, but knowing that it would need to blow off in the event of an accident would make me think twice about drilling any holes into it and attaching a gauge pod. You would have to replace the whole pillar cover with a new one that is designed to detach the same way the stock one does. I can't say that its impossible to make something like that, but it is definitely something that would be very expensive. It would be safer and cheaper to put the gauges in other places. Use the cubby for two of them and then install the boost gauge like they have it in the other subarus that have them stock.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

the air bag does not go all the way down the A pillar. I watched them replace mine last June. I was one of the "lucky" first 100 owners. That being said, I would not consider the A Piller for mounting gauges. My plan is to fabricate a cover out of fibergalss and paint it flat black and mount it on the dash in the center above the cubby. I'd like to keep the little cubby because of limited storage space (or retrofit a Navi system in it next year).

Watch this video and see if you think there is a Side Curtain Airbag (SCA) restriction on the location of the A-Pilar. LINK - http://legacygt.com/forums/member.php?u=640 mccorry posted this up previously.

Clearly shows that the A pillar is not engaged in the SCA deployment as orginally suspected. Should make it easier for aftermarket mfgrs to craft a high-quality LGT A Pillar version.

So, who's working on it?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

uh your link is to his profile

Thanks. I thought I was capturing the specific post itself, not his profile. See that rclark has fixed my botched attempt. And I usually do a post preview to check the link. Guess I didn't on that one.

Anyway, what is you opinion on the video. Does it clearly show that the A Pillar is not compromised or involved with deployment of the SCA? It doesn't look like it's involved from my review.

Thanks again for the redirect

SBT

I too wanted to mount a 3-plc gauge pod on the A-pillar but was concerned about the possibility of face plant. I sent the following e-mail and got this response from SOA. I find the answer to be somewhat incomplete. While the answer is that there is no airbag specifically mounted inside the A-pillar, he did not say whether or not it would be safe.

Dear Mr. Giesy:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your message. Per government regulations, the location of all airbags in a vehicle are clearly marked with a SRS label. The side-impact air curtains in your 2005 Legacy deploy from the B and C pillars. The side-impact air bags deploy from the sides of the front seats. You can view a picture of these deployed on page 1-85 in your owner's manual.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

-----------------------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

I own a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited sedan. There is a question if the SRS airbag system includes any parts in the A-pillar. Is there an airbag installed in the A-pillar? I can see a SRS symbol on the B-pillar and do believe there's an airbag in there. But what about the A-pillar column? I am considering an aftermarket gauge pod that would mount on the A-pillar but do not want it to interfere with (or blow off during) the airbag deployment.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My decision NOT to mount an A-pillar gauge pod was made final when I peaked under the A-pillar cover. Try it yourself. Its easy to do. Just tug on the interior fabric cover and it easily pulls out of the vinyl edge. I can clearly see a rolled-up white bag running a good distance down the A-pillar coming from above the driver's window. It sure looks like an airbag to me! There's no way that I would mount anything there. DON'T BE A FOOL!

Re-watching the video again, it looks like the front of the SCA expands along a channel at the top of the A Pillar. More of a guide than an expansion point as the A pillar doesn't come off. It would be foolish for the A pillar to fly off because then you'd risk potential facial/cranial or eye injury to the driver and/or front passenger.

Could that be the part you're seeing when you look under the pillar, the guide portion that is?

SBT

I found some small, unconclusive picture of the side curtains deployed..

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tylerwayne//s0411_4_24t.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tylerwayne//s0411_3_grabt.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tylerwayne//s0411_2_33t.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tylerwayne//s0411_1_8t.jpg

I just sent an email to my subaru dealership to see if they have any insight into this or can have a more conclusive response than from the email above.

-Tyler

Got a response..but it wasn't very helpful.

the side curtain airbags drop from the headliner sides...don't know if

the

gauges will screw with it, though

Barry Waxman

McRee Subaru

281.309.5129direct

281.935.0760cell

281.614.1359fax

-Tyler

I have a feeling I'm going to get a good answer this time..

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your inquiry. I will

need to consult with our Technical Services Department for assistance

with your message. As soon as I have any information, I will contact you

again. Thanks for your patience!

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think Subaru will confirm it's safe due to liability. If they tell you the airbag will not interfere outright, it's their fault if under some circumstance the a-pillar pod would fly at you and hurt you. I was thinking I could put an a-pillar pod in and for insurance, I could also wear a helmet while driving around. lol

Guys, I pulled the passenger side pillar cover off tonight.. I was burying my XM antenna wire.. There's no chance in hell that I would put a pillar gauge pod in.

It's not that the pillar cover "blows" off, it doesn't. The airbag extends about halfway down the pillar, along with a couple of wiring harnesses. The pillar cover is perforated along the inside bottom 1/4 (the part that meets the window gasket) to allow the plastic to fold out upon impact (weak point) by the airbag but keep the pillar trim attached.

Keep in mind, these bags are there not only to cushion your head but also keep it inside the confines of the vehicle. If there were no A-pillar attachment, the bag would just push out the window..

Unfortunately, it was dark, raining, and I didn't have my camera to take pictures.

• 12 years later...

Archived