LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Gave the big girl a "touchless" wash before going into work yesterday. Cleans up pretty good for just soap and water. Also installed LED bulbs for the vanity's in the sunvisor, fixed a spring that came loose in the upper driver's seat and swapped out my owner's manual cover for a fancy JDM STI red stitched alcantara one I picked up from the auctions.

1.thumb.jpg.cae0863c019bcaa40d312c9d7830c5b5.jpg

Hi Mike, I recall having to drop the replacement rear diff I just installed because the fill plug could not be removed. Luckily the car was still up on stands. That was back in 2011 if I recall correctly.

Today I drove the wagon to work without the radio on and listened to how quiet the car still is at 289,000 miles. The ej257 is still quiet after 135,000 miles.

Again thanks for all the help you have given us over the years.

Just noticed this was my post number 24,000...

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hi Mike, I recall having to drop the replacement rear diff I just installed because the fill plug could not be removed. Luckily the car was still up on stands. That was back in 2011 if I recall correctly.

Today I drove the wagon to work without the radio on and listened to how quiet the car still is at 289,000 miles. The ej257 is still quiet after 135,000 miles.

Again thanks for all the help you have given us over the years.

Just noticed this was my post number 24,000...

5MT and 6MT rear diffs have different drain/fill plugs (for those who might not realize). But, both have covers that are rather easily replaced if there is ever an issue not easily repaired.

IIrc I pulled the rear diff from Gabes car twice, and replaced the housing cover gasket twice.

I believe it was an odd noise that caused the first removal. I disassembled, fully inspected and reassembled after finding nothing that needed to be replaced. Gabe brought it back after maybe 100 miles and had a new odd noise. Same procedure again with nothing more than a gasket and fluid and never another issue. I chalked it up to being a micron off on the mesh as there was once again no visible damage or anything even close to out of spec. :eek::spin::confused:

Finally got this finished. First time I put them together, cross seals wept a bit. Let them sit overnight and presumably swell a bit, stomped on them and no more leaks. Bedded in and ready to provide a minimal improvement over stock LGT brakes

IMG_20200316_232755.thumb.jpg.43a36db494ed105640acdcb298522732.jpg

Finally got this finished. First time I put them together, cross seals wept a bit. Let them sit overnight and presumably swell a bit, stomped on them and no more leaks. Bedded in and ready to provide a minimal improvement over stock LGT brakes
Those wheels are amazing! I love them...

Scotty

IIrc I pulled the rear diff from Gabes car twice, and replaced the housing cover gasket twice.

I believe it was an odd noise that caused the first removal. I disassembled, fully inspected and reassembled after finding nothing that needed to be replaced. Gabe brought it back after maybe 100 miles and had a new odd noise. Same procedure again with nothing more than a gasket and fluid and never another issue. I chalked it up to being a micron off on the mesh as there was once again no visible damage or anything even close to out of spec. :eek::spin::confused:

Yeah, that was bonkers, and you were great about it Mike. The noise never came back, thank God.

After 194K miles I installed new coils and after at least 34K miles I installed new NGK plugs. While at it,wanted to address the boot in the TMIC to TB coupler. That went well except I knocked off a vacuum line in the process. Car ran like crap, took it to Mach V, it was easily fixed.

Last things left are to install the grille and rear H&R + KYB combo on 3/4" spacers

After 194K miles I installed new coils and after at least 34K miles I installed new NGK plugs. While at it,wanted to address the boot in the TMIC to TB coupler. That went well except I knocked off a vacuum line in the process. Car ran like crap, took it to Mach V, it was easily fixed.

Last things left are to install the grille and rear H&R + KYB combo on 3/4" spacers

Not sure where you are in N VA, but I am in the Charles Town area of WV and still have enough tools to assist with jobs like that.

I have considered opening another shop (Subie specific) in the area, but am not sure if there is enough business.

Well, out in front of the house...

So far - there's nothing to keep one from heading out for a spin... can't sit down in a restaurant, and bars are closed, but no restrictions about taking a ride.

Edited by STX 195

Picked up a set of headlights from a local salvage yard for $150 two weeks ago. Baked them, blacked out the housing with some gunmetal grey heat paint and removed the amber turn signal cover. Going to do the same to my oem housing and polish the lenses.picture.php?albumid=2796&pictureid=12601

Injector Dynamics got my ID1000s, they are cleaning them and should have them back and ready for the car to go get put together at the end of April. Hoping the shop will stay open. I think they will. I know six star motor sports is open, which is another place I like but they are to far away. Already traveling about 3 hours for the build.

Yesterday I tore apart the front end of the car. Replaced the mini h1 ballasts, igniters, and one bulb. Next time something on the HID system fails I’m pulling it and replacing everything with LED.

I also cleaned the GS I take filter, found out that their block off plate does not fit the intake, removed intercooler piping to have IAT bung welded in neat the BOV and finish replacing couplers and Murray clamps.

Today is softer motor mount bushings, rear KTA124, rear wheel bearings, rear brakes, and probably summer wheels.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

IMG-7630.jpg

Yesterday I did a wipe down on the exterior for a photoshoot. Got some roller shots in. When I got home, I did a full interior detail on both my cars. Had to grab the disinfectants this time. I should have taken the Legacy on a spirited run before midnight because apparently California is now on lockdown. Entire state is encouraged to stay home unless it is essential to leave the home for work or necessities. Not entirely sure what this means but I am unfortunately out of work for at least two weeks or longer... I work with a lot of immunocompromised people and our clinic has shut down until this whole thing passes over. I'll survive, but I guess it was not a smart idea to spend money on car parts throughout the last two months or so.

On the bright side, there are plenty of things I can do in the garage now with all this free time. Still have to install the STI Rack, wire up power folding mirrors to the BIU (for unlock and lock folding), and adjust the coilovers and rear camber arms... Blessing in disguise?

Stay safe everyone. Be wise and sanitize (your cars).

Edited by Notorious

I pulled out of the purchase for my JDM bumper, just wasn't necessary money to spend right now. Plus like most of us, I have enough parts to install over the next two weeks and then some while I'm not working.

And speaking of, I sent a set of injectors to witchhunter performance two weeks ago and no email, no nothing from them still. Idk, but that's not a good feeling.

Now that crude oil is at historically low prices' date=' has anyone started seeing coupons for motor oil yet? I'm appreciating the lower prices at the pump![/quote']You ain't kidding! First time in ages I've spent less than 35 bux at the pump for 93!

Scotty