LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

the PPG gearset upgrade and Quaiffe diff upgrade will improve mpg too

Yo didn't know that existed!!! Here! That makes the final drive ratio of the Spec B 6-speed - 2.757 (10% reduction)

Normal Spec B - 3.033

Normal 05 5 speed - 3.0339

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

FWIW, I have gotten 33MPG in the Spec following a buddy who was towing the 32FT 5th wheel for a weekend camping trip in NH years back.

"Following" or "drafting?" ;)

What do you all use to get sap off the paint? Have 2 spots to clean up, but want to be gentle to the almost 12 year old paint.

The Goo Gone citrus degreaser type stuff is fairly gentle so I'd try that first.

Learned a thing today. If you gently pop the shifter out of gear without using the clutch on the freeway, while in cruise control, sometimes cruise won't cancel and the car will get confused and then bang the rev limiter all on its own. <.< >.> Lesson learned, avoid that habit and use the damn clutch pedal.

That's it. Need a 6sp swap and vf52. For gas mileage. To save money. Yea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Spec still has the vf46 it came with. FWIW, the car turned 90,000 miles yesterday.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Have the day off today and decided to knock out one half of one of my projects while I wait for the wife to get home and we hit the road for some thanksgiving traveling. It's definitely more comfy just sitting in it in the garage and the tighter side bolsters are a nice reminder of the porker I've become. Anxious to see how I'll like it after our ~3 hr drive later tonight.

Sent her a pic when I was done and she said I need to do the passenger side sooner than later.

1.thumb.jpg.813748e4eb6f280a376b0fe319ee392a.jpg

"Weight reduction"

Getting rid of the parts car shortly. A bunch of the stuff is going into the new one.

Used my $17 Amazon USB boroscope(?) and looked inside the rockers for rust, found a bit of surface stuff but I'm hoping it'll be okay for a few years.

I'm genuinely impressed with the overall condition of the new GT, fluid film/underbody coat seems to have worked extremely well for the P/Os NY winters. ec290abe530deaa4bac02ed2a65057b1.jpg3a535d065b0d35f049236f62dd2c9e5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Washed the car yesterday and replaced my oil pressure sensor for my gauge today. I have a feeling it failed prematurely because it is mounted pretty close to the turbo despite heat shielding on that. Wrapped the new sensor with 3M silver temperature reflective tape and DEI gold stuff over that. Hoping it lasts more than a year this time.

Happy Thanksgiving. Took the wagon out this morning to enjoy some open roads and 33* of sunny dry boost weather. Wagon was solid as always and is just sublime in these conditions. Then I ordered up a fresh set of Fortune Auto 500 coils with swift springs and a Perrin reverse lockout lever for it for Christmas. Old ones will be for sale when I get new ones on.

On a side note, I’m trying to import a 1995 JDM EVO III RS. Unfortunately it has a May 95 build date so Id have to store it in Japan for a hot minute. Will update if it works out.

Snow is melting off with a high of 40 so thought I'd go to the diy wash bay and do my best to spray the underside and wash it. Gonna have to come up with a better solution, looks like I didn't do much to it. Might bring my own mitt and a squeegee and dry rag in the future, and maybe should have waited another day.

15c77f7861f300873fd8b5d3fe7d4995.jpg

Yeah the matching seats are a must.

Did you sacrifice your seat heaters and powered adjustment though?

Only lost power adjustments. Seat heaters aren't as good, but they still work well enough.

Was that STI seat a "bolt on" affair? Or is this a totally custom deal???

Scotty

The frame for any 08-14 sti seats should bolt right up without issues. There's some work needed to make sure the airbag light isn't on for the driver's side while the passenger side is a whole other beast. This explains the process to get them both to work.

I bought these off of wrx hatch 87 when his car got totaled and he had the driver's side done to where it was completely PnP and took me about an hour to pull lgt seat, clean/vacuum the carpet and put the STI in. I'll be tackling the passenger side after Christmas when I have some more time.

For what it's worth:

I have a 13 WRX. I also drive 12 hours round trip from Michigan to Wisconsin to see family pretty often, and I powerlift so generally am undergoing some sort of lower back recover from training sessions when I go. I get aches in my lower back in the WRX about 3-4 hours in, and none whatsover in the LGT.

For what it's worth:

I have a 13 WRX. I also drive 12 hours round trip from Michigan to Wisconsin to see family pretty often, and I powerlift so generally am undergoing some sort of lower back recover from training sessions when I go. I get aches in my lower back in the WRX about 3-4 hours in, and none whatsover in the LGT.

Ah interesting. I have a tall torso and a bunch of blown discs and I find I'm constantly adjusting the lumbar support and it's sometimes bothersome with it all the way off. I know seats are real personal but it sure looks good in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could give up power for a better seat. How was that 3 hour drive?

The drive was pretty great, felt like I was getting hugged the entire way. Lumbar support is ok for not being adjustable but not great. Very minor lower back ache by the end of the drive but I would get the same long distance ache in the legacy seat even with the adjustable lumbar or most every other car seat I've been in with or without adjustable lumbar. I'm 5'11" with a longer torso.

Like, if family had been waiting in the driveway when we arrived from our 3 hr trip it's not bad enough to where the first thing I would do is get out of the car, stretch, and mutter "ah, my back" before I start doling out the hugs.

I love everything else about the seat. The tighter side bolsters and suede just keep you more planted around corners. Seat height seems to be identical although the STI feels a little lower with how the seat bottom angles down from front to back (knees higher, butt lower). I haven't measured to verify though. Seat heater isn't as intense as the legacy but it still does the trick and the additional heater element in the seat back makes up for it as well.

I don't know if it was age or use or something else, but the 08 Spec B seats I put into my 09 LGT limited offer much more support. They feel firmer but more comfortable.

My only gripe was getting used to sliding in on the alcantara vs the leather. There is a mandatory pants adjustment after getting in.

Highly recommend the swap in looks and overall comfort without losing any of the functionality. (completely plug and play for the facelift models.)

Had my wagon towed to the dealer tonight. Ignition lock broke when I was leaving work. Key goes in, turns up to ignition on and then just turns through the starter portion with out any resistance. Since it stuck in "ignition on" I had to disconnect the battery to prevent it draining completely.

Had no earlier indication of any problems. Drove to gym and back to work at lunch is was as usual.

This was after hours so couldn't talk to any service guys. expect this to take few days to get fixed, I am sure they don't keep new ignition locks in stock...

I expect to receive new keys that will have to be programmed, if that's the case should I try 09 style?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I expect to receive new keys that will have to be programmed, if that's the case should I try 09 style?

You shouldn't need to reprogram anything. If you get an '09 style key (find a blank off eBay if need be), you can take it apart, cut the immobilizer chip out of your original key, and put it inside of the new '09 style key (as detailed here). Then just get the blank cut to match your new key. That said, the dealer will probably automatically charge for a reprogram unless you explicitly ask them not to. I'm not sure a dealer would even swap in your current immobilizer chip, even if you cut it out of the key and gave it to them.

I went to the dealer a while back and for free they cut one of those '09 style ebay keys. I did the work myself of programming the actual buttons, (pretty easy) and cutting the immobilizer chip out of my valet key to put in the new '09 style case.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Dropped the rusty wagon off to have the exhaust swapped to the less rusty sedan. :(

Anyone want a rusty 05 mt wagon? Runs great and was well-maintained but corrosion is winning the battle, sadly. Suitable for a part out primarily but running and inspected until march.