LegacyGT.com

Sticky windshield

What do you folks use to keep bugs from sticking to the windshield like glue. All the wipers do is either nothing at all or spread bug guts over the windshield. The only way it seems to clean the windshield is finding a good rainstorm or lots of elbow grease. I have tried RainX which helps a bit and different washer fluids which does nothing so far.

Thanks

Larry

Only suggestions I have are Rain X or wax. I've waxed my windshield before and it works basically the same as rain x. Both require good buffing to make sure there's no hazing.

The issue with both is you need to keep on top of it and maintain it. I would say at least once a month. Doesn't take long for it to wear off.

I would polish the glass. Get a polish like Klasse all-in-one, Meguiars Mirror Glaze or similar. Use a medium cutting hand pad and go at it. Its amazing how much invisible residue is on the glass even when the car is brand new and bugs stick to it like glue. If you want to throw RainX on after its up to you. It probably will be more effective after the polish.

Do not use an aggressive compound.

I personally have not had great luck with Rain-x on my Legacy as it tends to cause the wipers to chatter and a slight film of water that glares especially at night for me after about a week after application. On the other hand, I have a '09 Corolla that I love using Rain-X on and do not have any of the issues I find with the Legacy. I have found that bugs seem to stick equally as well to a rain-x coated windshield compared to a bare one.

For cleaning the windshield, I like Rain-X X-Treme Clean Clear Surface Cleaner which does a good job of removing everything on the windshield as well as old rain-x. A little of it goes a long way. As others have said, you can use a pre-mixed glass polish by one of the big brand names or buy some cerium oxide powder and mix with water to make your own for cheap.

It's time consuming (to do a whole car), but fairly easy. Watch a video on Youtube and pick up a clay bar kit. You just have to make sure you keep the surface lubricated (a kit you buy will have a lubricant included). If you only care to do the windows, it'll probably only take you 10-15 minutes or so.

What do you folks use to keep bugs from sticking to the windshield like glue. All the wipers do is either nothing at all or spread bug guts over the windshield. The only way it seems to clean the windshield is finding a good rainstorm or lots of elbow grease. I have tried RainX which helps a bit and different washer fluids which does nothing so far.

Thanks

Larry

I've had decent luck with the rain-x bug wash specific fluid. I use that from spring to mid fall and then switch over to the all weather rain-x and over to the rain-x de-icer stuff by December.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-X-Bug-Remover-Windshield-Washer-Fluid/17179629

Try Rain-X DeIcer washer fluid all year round. It works excellent on bugs. I think better than anything else.

Rain-X De-Icer works year-round, but it is not as good at washing away bug guts.

In Michigan, I run the Rain-X bug formula in the summer, fall I'll toss in Rain-X 2in1 (if I have some), and in the winter, I need the DeIcer/SubZero version.

IF you happen to visit Canada, swing by a WalMart or auto parts store. The Rain-X de-icer is a bit stronger. It won't freeze down to -40 Celcius!

It’s not just bmw. I can’t remember the exact problem. Something about the rainx fluid formula messing up the electronic sensor so the car always thinks the fluid level is low. Cars with a float sensor aren’t affected.

I just buy a 16oz bottle of washer fluid mix whenever I’m near a bmw dealership. It’s like $5 and makes 10 gallons. So one bottle of mix will last me awhile. I make bottles of it and leave a couple at my exwife’s house for her and my daughter to use and I take some to work to use in the work car when I am on night shift in case I run out.

Only suggestions I have are Rain X or wax. I've waxed my windshield before and it works basically the same as rain x. Both require good buffing to make sure there's no hazing.

The issue with both is you need to keep on top of it and maintain it. I would say at least once a month. Doesn't take long for it to wear off.

what he said and you have to do it every month

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

Larry

I'm a little surprised that no one has suggested using Bon Ami cleanser to clean the outside of your windshield. I've been using it for many years on different cars. Works great. BMW even recommends it. Here's a link to a Chrysler Sebring club explaining how to use it. I use a dedicated sponge instead of the washcloth. https://sebringclub.net/cleaning-the-windshield-with-bon-ami-t33631.html