LegacyGT.com

IAG Stage 1 Short block?

I'm afraid I don't understand the second part of your response. Googling "IAG Stage 1" or "IAG Stage 1 Subaru" doesn't produce much in the way of real world reviews from users of this product. If it's so common, why is it hard to find info on people who are actually using it?

I'm just trying to determine whether this is a quality product that people have had good success with or is this an overpriced product that is shoddily built, or something in between? I trust people who are actually using a product to be the best judges of whether it's any good or not.

In a past life I worked in a machine shop and built my own engines and I've seen the incredibly crappy work that some places pawn off. We were occasionally paid to fix engines built by others. Bores that weren't round or finished improperly, crank journals tapered or improperly finished, valves that didn't seal, etc. etc.

The world of Subarus is new to me. For the most part I have no idea which manufacturers make good stuff and which are best avoided and I can't think of a better place to ask than here. Is this inappropriate?

Edited by TMBLKDG

I too am newer to the boxer 4's. I can't help much with the IAG deal or other aftermarket manufacturers. From what I see it depends on your end goal as to which direction you should go in. A factory short block can be had for around $1800+/- and your heads could be redone for a few hundred and be good to around 350hp (with supporting mods). Beyond that is when you look to the aftermarket and really open the wallet. Is this a daily driver? How much power do you need? What is the condition of the rest of the drive-train if raising the power bar considerably? If this is a longevity move, a few mods to the factory systems can aid in that (think banjo filters, tune, keeping pcv in working order, timely oil change intervals, etc.). This probably doesn't help much and I don't know much so take it for what its worth lol. Good luck.

Thanks whitexc, I appreciate your input and willingness to help.

I'm not sure where people get that I'm asking for handholding or for someone to tell me what to do based on the very simple question in my first post in this thread.

Is asking for people who've used a product to give some feedback on how long and how well it's worked for them frowned upon around here?

fair enough. IAG makes decent stuff. However, ppl usually don't buy their stage 1 blocks because the factory short block is a better deal.

Getting a short block is the easier part of the problem. Finding a reliable machine shop to do the heads and a shop to do the assembly correctly are usually most of the problem. Finding a tuner to make it work right for your needs usually takes a bit.

However, I might be a bitter person about how much effort all of that is.

Looks like you live in Seattle area?

Your choices for local shops are here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/have-favorite-subie-shopi-post-up-234016.html

IAG can do the heads & assembly if you wanted BUT you will have to wait for your turn.

They are a busy place that seems to take pride in their work. My sons REX is currently being built there. All I can offer at this point.

1108695272_IAG2.thumb.jpg.66eee9d241de72f97852e2f4a223e8a3.jpg

Search for a reputable builder in your local area, unless you have the whole summer to wait for your block. I looked into getting a block from them and it was a 6-8+ week wait at that point... they are good, just not that good that I would wait a couple months to get my small block.

I researched a local builder with a great reputation and got mine from Quantum Performance in 4-5 weeks.

IMO for your HP goals and the requirement for a good DD, do what I did. New OEM ej257, have your heads rebuilt.

My heads have some porting down in the valve pocket area. These heads need to be done by someone who knows what they are doing if you want some porting done. Don't just let anybody port them. I will say I'm very happy with the mid range power the wagon has. The engine is very responsive above 2400rpm.

I can say enough how happy I'm with the way the car runs after over 121,000 miles on the ej257 and 133,000 miles on the vf52.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the responses!

It sounds like people don't think the forged pistons & STi rods are worth the extra $1000.

Finding a reputable engine builder around here is tough to do. Hopefully I won't actually need a new short block. Should know this week.

• 3 weeks later...

i went IAG stage 2 block so i can decide to turn it up if i want down the road

currently a road tune with STi Mikey at about 19psi

car pulls harder than previous 19psi map from prior tuner.which was 403whp

so id imagine its even more at the wheels now

• 4 weeks later...

Cannot provide any real world experience, but I would personally trust anything that IAG touches. They are some of the best.

Looking right now at the sunwest automotive blocks. One thing I have seen from them is the deck plate honing that I am not sure if anyone else is doing (would imagine that IAG and cosworth and the likes would though, just haven't seen that). The price is a bit easier to swallow at around 1200 (plus 800 core up front plus 260 shipping). Otherwise an OEM block is about 17-1800

Edited by SageAbkatsorLocked