LegacyGT.com

Fuel Injector resistance tolerance?

I was wondering if anyone here knows the tolerances for fuel injector resistance. The FSM specs for injectors is 11-12 ohms. Today I tested the injectors on my SS and they range from 12.5-14 ohms. How far from the factory specs can they be before necessitating replacement? TIA.

Brokn, 0.5 ohms out of spec definitely indicates a bad injector? My multimeter is a run of the mill $24 unit. My engine has 164k and all four injectors are within 1.4 ohms of one another.

I have good reason to believe that the fuel pump is dying and am replacing it with a Walbro 255 as soon as it arrives. Replacing the fuel filter today dramatically improved the performance. Ignition coil is within specs.

I have had some hesitation issues as well as what feel like misfires. No CELs. I have been chasing multiple vacuum/boost leaks and have replaced most of the vacuum lines as well as the air intake.

I have a spare set of injectors which I have not tested but I am considering getting the whole set flow tested in case I need to swap them in. I will update when I replace the fuel pump.

Update: I tested my spare set of pink-top injectors and they were all 11.6 ohms. I decided that a set of injectors with the same resistance is better than the original set that is all over the place. They were pretty easy to remove following this guide posted by WitchHunter: http://www.witchhunter.com/subieremoval1.php4

I swapped them with the original injectors and there was a noticeable performance gain. There is less of a hesitation but a misfire will occur under hard acceleration. I will install a new fuel pump in the next day or two and hopefully my misfire problem will be solved. :)

• 7 months later...
Check the production numbers for your Walbro and google the number to make sure it's not a bad batch. They've been very well known to be crap and I would never again install them in mine or my friends/customers cars. In the many years of performance modifications I've probably had 10+ fail prematurely and one blow up inside the tank of my friends Evo. I run two Bosch 044's and have never looked back. They're the best everyday all around fuel pumps. IMO of course. And they love to run e85 when Walbro don't.

No problems with the Walbro yet. I was aware of the bad batch when I purchased mine. It helped a little but unmetered air was the problem. Thanks for the tip about the Bosch 044s. Ill have to look into that when I replace the fuel pump on the L.

Walbros don't have any more issues with E85 than a Bosch does.

Do you know this from experience? Because I do. I am not saying a brand new Walbro running e85 will fail within months but a year yes. Even a little less. I rarely if ever had or hear 044's failing from e85. I've had mine for 4 years running pump, e85/98, Q16, VP120, 110 leaded and couple others and they're still strong like when I first installed them. My first and only pair of Walbros failed in 1 year with only pump and q16. Plus the Walbro were inside the fuel cell getting cooled down my the fuel where my 044's are not.

My walbro has been in my car bathed in E85 for 3+ years running 400+ hp. Walbros last the longest out of any pump.

Aeromotives fail almost instantly with E85. DW's don't seem to last much more than a year or two.

I don't have alot of Bosch Experience because they don't fit anywhere.

This is based on the experiences of hundreds of cars.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I am glad you've had success with your Walbro but if there were only two pumps made in the world( Walbro vs Denso) and knowing what I know about walbros. I would take the Denso. I know I just threw Denso in the mix but you said that will easily fit into a tank and a Denso pump will do just that. I've heard mixed reviews on Aeromotive pumps but their FPR are great I have one in the Supra. I've never heard of one failing instantly and I have friends running the A1000 with e85. The best pumps by far are Weldon fuel pumps. Which are used in the aerospace industry, military planes and vehicles. You have to like noise as they're loud but you can run any fuel through them even Nitro without issues. I planned on getting a Weldon for the Supra but for now the 044's are fine. I do need larger Injectors as am around 90% duty cycle on the 1600's I have now. Looks like ID 2000's are in the near future.

Archived