LegacyGT.com

Brake service options

Hey guys I have a question. When doing a brake service, do you guys let them resurface the rotors or just replace them. I Called some places (non dealers) 2 of them said the rotors are usually too thin, and they just replace them. 3 of them said they resurface the rotors. The ones that say they just replace them said, in time they will start warping and you will have to replace them sooner..

I will not be taking it to Mavis, they just replace the pads, and does not resurface the rotors, they said they are usually just too thin..

Pricing...

I usually goto firestone, but if I was going to replace the rotors, might as well goto Subaru (not much more)

Dealer Resurface Replacement

Mavis $79.99 $199.00

GoodYear $275 $325

Subaru $319.95 $519

FireStone $165 $433

Local shop --------- $280-$300

How many miles do you have? My rears lasted past 55k. I just replaced pads and rotors. My fronts are about there at 66k. I just ordered some rotors today. Debating what pads to get. Local place by me says they will replace pads and use my rotors for $130ish.

Hey guys I have a question. When doing a brake service, do you guys let them resurface the rotors or just replace them. I Called some places (non dealers) 2 of them said the rotors are usually too thin, and they just replace them. 3 of them said they resurface the rotors. The ones that say they just replace them said, in time they will start warping and you will have to replace them sooner..

I will not be taking it to Mavis, they just replace the pads, and does not resurface the rotors, they said they are usually just too thin..

Pricing...

I usually goto firestone, but if I was going to replace the rotors, might as well goto Subaru (not much more)

Dealer Resurface Replacement

Mavis $79.99 $199.00

GoodYear $275 $325

Subaru $319.95 $519

FireStone $165 $433

Local shop --------- $280-$300

When I had my Rear Brakes done at the Dealer they just resurfaced and New Pads.. It takes a lot of hard driving and braking to wear down a first brake rotor.. Maybe after a second Pad change it might start to get to the limit. I would say the same for the front.. I've always resurfaced the rotors when changing pads to prevent warping..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How many miles do you have? My rears lasted past 55k. I just replaced pads and rotors. My fronts are about there at 66k. I just ordered some rotors today. Debating what pads to get. Local place by me says they will replace pads and use my rotors for $130ish.

Currently have 37k on both brakes.. I have been told I need a new rear brakes by Firestone and Subaru, said I will need it soon. I am just wondering if I should replace or resurface the rotors.. Since it will be my first brake surface usually resurfacing them is the norm...

When I had my Rear Brakes done at the Dealer they just resurfaced and New Pads.. It takes a lot of hard driving and braking to wear down a first brake rotor.. Maybe after a second Pad change it might start to get to the limit. I would say the same for the front.. I've always resurfaced the rotors when changing pads to prevent warping..

I agree. Just wondering depending on the Subaru rotors, if it needs to be replaced because it might warp sooner since it was resurfaced.. Like right now I got 37k... if I resurface and put new pads on, will it at least last 37k or go sooner since the rotors might warp easier, so I might get like 25k or 30 etc.

How much did the rear brake job run ya at the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much did the rear brake job run ya at the dealer?

I think it was less than 200.00.. I would have to dig up my invoice.. My Rear went to 65k before i needed to service.

I do disc brakes in my home garage, since I save all the labor fees, and I don't have any means to resurface them nor desire to mess with it, I order aftermarket rotors and swap them.

Disc brakes are easy to work on, and unlike some techs (Midas) who worked on my cars in the past (they replaced a front wheel bearing/CV joint)...

I torque down the bolts properly with a torque wrench so that a front caliper does not fall off while driving on the highway (true story).

I think this is largely something that depends on the individual driver, how you drive, where you drive, etc.

Anytime I do my brakes, I generally do all 4 corners and replace both Pads and Rotors. I average some 40,000 miles driven per year and do my brakes about every 2 years. With 80,000ish miles on the Rotors it is more beneficial to simply replace them. Also like others, I do this job myself as it simply costs me the parts, no labor and saves several hundred dollars.

given the typical cost of resurfacing a rotor vs a new one, I just replace them.

I agree but I wouldn't buy $17 rotors. Get a decent set and call it a day. Should be able to get good quality rotors for well under $75 a pair.

I do disc brakes in my home garage, since I save all the labor fees, and I don't have any means to resurface them nor desire to mess with it, I order aftermarket rotors and swap them.

Disc brakes are easy to work on, and unlike some techs (Midas) who worked on my cars in the past (they replaced a front wheel bearing/CV joint)...

I torque down the bolts properly with a torque wrench so that a front caliper does not fall off while driving on the highway (true story).

But with our New Electric Brake System retracting the caliper is a little tricky now..

But with our New Electric Brake System retracting the caliper is a little tricky now..

Tell me about it. I still can't find a decent tutorial/walkthrough video on how to do rear brakes. I'd like to know in case I have to do it myself.

I agree. Just wondering depending on the Subaru rotors, if it needs to be replaced because it might warp sooner since it was resurfaced.. Like right now I got 37k... if I resurface and put new pads on, will it at least last 37k or go sooner since the rotors might warp easier, so I might get like 25k or 30 etc.

Depending on where you are, shops will say they will resurface just to get you for the labor costs... since the resurface is not warrantied, you'll be back there in a couple of months for a replacement. Dealer or not.

You should ask them to give you the rotor thickness measurements. Then look for the minimum spec that subaru recommends and make your call. Resurfacing usually takes out 1 - 2 mm. If what's left after resurface leaves you with at least half the life of the rotor, it will be worth it, else, you'll need to replace pretty soon...

If you thinking of upgrading to better rotors and are saving up and want to just push a bit more, then you could pull the rotors off yourself and just take them to the shop to resurface, saving you on the labor.

Tell me about it. I still can't find a decent tutorial/walkthrough video on how to do rear brakes. I'd like to know in case I have to do it myself.

I.) Disconnect the battery

II.) Unplug the harness connector for the EPB at the caliper

III.) Depress the piston by a big ass pair of channel locks or your favorite Chinese caliper tools

IV.) Proceed with brake job as you would with any other disc brake system.

For OP, don't touch your rotors at 37K unless you know for a fact there is some type of massive wear or warping. Otherwise, they are most likely fine. Just slap some good quality pads on there and bed them in. I wouldn't even begin to think about replacing rotors at 37K. Not unheard of for rotors to go to 100K miles.

I.) Disconnect the battery

II.) Unplug the harness connector for the EPB at the caliper

III.) Depress the piston by a big ass pair of channel locks or your favorite Chinese caliper tools

IV.) Proceed with brake job as you would with any other disc brake system.

Kinda sad when a brake job requires disconnecting the battery....... When did Subaru go to an Electronic Brake system? How does it operate? I have a 2010 that is still a normal, old school hydraulic brake system.

When did Subaru go to an Electronic Brake system? How does it operate? I have a 2010 that is still a normal, old school hydraulic brake system.

The Legacy/Outback adopted an electrically actuated parking brake at MY 2015. The service brakes remain hydraulic, as before.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

For OP, don't touch your rotors at 37K unless you know for a fact there is some type of massive wear or warping. Otherwise, they are most likely fine. Just slap some good quality pads on there and bed them in. I wouldn't even begin to think about replacing rotors at 37K. Not unheard of for rotors to go to 100K miles.

I would never just put pads on I would either resurface or replace the rotors. Since putting on new pads the connection between the rotors and pads would not match up..

How many people out there just put new pads on? Am I wrong here?

Kinda sad when a brake job requires disconnecting the battery....... When did Subaru go to an Electronic Brake system? How does it operate? I have a 2010 that is still a normal, old school hydraulic brake system.

My 2010 Legacy has an electronically actuated parking brake. Not sure what model Subaru your 2010 is, but the electronic parking brake was standard in the 2010 Legacy and Outback with that redesign...

Edit: Just looked at your profile and see you have a 2010 Legacy 2.5 Premium. That’s exactly what I have. You have the button for the parking brake on the lower left side of the dash near the traction control button. Push to engage, pull to release. This is the opposite action of the 2015- current Legacy.l and Outback.

The Legacy/Outback adopted an electrically actuated parking brake at MY 2015. The service brakes remain hydraulic, as before.

As I stated in my previous post, the electronically actuated parking brake was introduced in the 2010 Legacy and Outback. My 2010 Legacy has an electronic parking brake.

As I stated in my previous post, the electronically actuated parking brake was introduced in the 2010 Legacy and Outback. My 2010 Legacy has an electronic parking brake.

Thanks for the additional information. Since I spend most of my time here in the Gen 6 subforum, I had forgotten that important detail.

The MY 2015 and later parking brakes are a totally different design that uses an electrically driven actuator to clamp the brake pads of each rear rotor. I believe the previous design (at least for MY 2014) used cable-actuated mini drums in each hub (originally a Porsche patent from the 1960s) for the parking brake function, operated by a single electrically-driven capstan.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived