LegacyGT.com

First oil change

Tomorrow I head out on a 2,500 mile road trip so I got my first oil change today. I've got around 2,300 miles on the car and while they may say you can go 6,000 on conventional oil I personally don't want to. So I show up at the dealership today and the service advisor comes over and asks what I need. Told him I was there for an oil change and want to go with full synthetic. He then proceeds to tell me that Subaru recommends conventional oil only and he'll have to check to make sure they're allowed to put in full synthetic because of the warranty. :lol:

Eventually got it done and on my way but I just can't take anything those guys say seriously.

Haha. How much did it cost? My dealer has a quote of $75 for the 7 quarts of synthetic and filter.

$20 more if I want a rotation.

Honestly that’s not half bad. I figure it would be $95 twice a year then and they give me a free hand wash and a multipoint inspection. I’m fine with that.

It worked out not costing me anything. I have the two years free maintenance and expected to pay a synthetic upcharge but at checkout there was some issue with the proper billing code not being used so they just let me go. I wasn't about to argue and promptly hustled on my way before they changed their mind.

Haha. How much did it cost? My dealer has a quote of $75 for the 7 quarts of synthetic and filter.

$20 more if I want a rotation.

Honestly that’s not half bad. I figure it would be $95 twice a year then and they give me a free hand wash and a multipoint inspection. I’m fine with that.

7 quarts??? It only takes a tad more than 5:spin:

7 quarts??? It only takes a tad more than 5:spin:

You’re correct. The 2.5 does. I was referring to the EZ36 that the OP has.

I get discounts in the mail all the time for $50 synthetic changes at my local non preferred dealer so they will price match.

For me I’d rather have someone peek under there and make sure everything’s looking good.

I paid lifetime full synthetic plan for close to $700 for my car:

Not bad. Also your service department sounds like bunch of idiots. I used full synth on my 2.5 for 8 years.

Convention in 2018.

he was correct the owners manual in the 3.6R say's conventional oil is fine. You can use any oil you want as long as it meets the 5w-30 and the correct SAE requirements in the owners manual.

Synthetic is much better and will not void the warranty.

There is a court ruling from way back that ruled if the car MFG only allowed you to use their oil, they had to give it to you for free.

Hey that's what happened in this case.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am not aware of any car manufactured today, or in the last 10+ years, that you couldn't put synthetic oil in. It amazes me how moronic these dealer service folks are...they either think we're all stupid or they are just dumb and dumber.

There used to be an old tale about how once the gaskets swell with conventional that synthetic will make them leak since the particles are smaller.

That being said I believe the observer error is that synthetic probably has more detergents and has a cleaning effect to the build up which could be plugging oil leaks. That also being said a leak is a leak regardless of oil. You don’t want one and if you have one it’s a problem regardless.

The only time I am aware of that you stay clear of synthetic is when a high mileage car has been using conventional dino for the life of the car. If you start using synthetic, you WILL get leaks. I have always used synthetic from day 1 in all of my cars since 1997...synthetic will ALWAYS be a better option than conventional oil...period!

Slightly off topic but..

I used to work for a small limo company. The owner claimed that it made a big difference if you used the same BRAND of oil all the time. I thought it was BS. Then I bought for my own private use one of the retired cars. It was the same car I had been driving for work for the past 3 months.

This car burned no oil until the first time I changed oil and didn't use Valvoline. I think I used Quaker State. It started needing a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I was the only one that drove that car for the 3 months before it was retired and I know it never needed oil to be added. It was checked every shift. 190K on the car when I got it. Maybe it was just time, but I don't think so.

More on topic, my 2018 2.5i says it uses full synthetic.

... the service advisor ... proceeds to tell me that Subaru recommends conventional oil only and he'll have to check to make sure they're allowed to put in full synthetic because of the warranty.

Did you suggest that he/she read the Owners Manual?

The owner claimed that it made a big difference if you used the same BRAND of oil all the time.

It's not so much the base oils but the additive packages that are likely to vary significantly from one brand to another. The end result is the same. Switching oil brands in a high-mileage engine can possibly dislodge accumulated sludge, varnish, and grime, primarily due to the presence different detergent/dispersants in the additive package.

... my 2018 2.5i says it uses full synthetic.
Last time I checked, 0W-20 oil (specified for the 2.5) is still available only as synthetic. You can't buy 0W-20 conventional (i.e. refined petroleum) motor oil ... at least not in retail quantities.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

It's not so much the base oils but the additive packages that are likely to vary significantly from one brand to another. The end result is the same. Switching oil brands in a high-mileage engine can possibly dislodge accumulated sludge, varnish, and grime, primarily due to the presence different detergent/dispersants in the additive package.

EXACTLY! This is the sole reason that you need to stay away from synthetics in an older vehicle.

The only time I am aware of that you stay clear of synthetic is when a high mileage car has been using conventional dino for the life of the car. If you start using synthetic, you WILL get leaks. I have always used synthetic from day 1 in all of my cars since 1997...synthetic will ALWAYS be a better option than conventional oil...period!

Due for my first oil change pretty soon. When making the appt, service dept told me they only used synthetic. I've always used conventional in prior cars but figure it is time to change.

Due for my first oil change pretty soon. When making the appt, service dept told me they only used synthetic. I've always used conventional in prior cars but figure it is time to change.

On your 3.6R you can absolutely use conventional. It's in your manual. Every other newer Subaru requires synthetic (except maybe the turbos?).

The FB20 and FB25 require 0w20 which is synthetic.

The EJ253 and EZ36 requires conventional but suggests synthetic.

You can't go wrong following the manual.

That being said, synthetic oil does have several advantages over regular oil, especially if you're in a climate that has some temperature extremes.

That’s what I did, went with full synthetic for mine from the dealership.

Yeah, Im getting changes longer between now and I tend keep my car 10+ years so I think it makes sense.

Yup, my 2010 legacy had 4 times a year plan with full synthetic oil and it was fine, after that I gave it to my dad and the plan carried over for him.

Overall he is happy and going full synthetic was the right choice and still is the right choice for me since I also own my cars for 7-8 years.

What about 'Time' between changes?

I've just hit 1,400 miles on my 2018 3.6R and I took delivery on Dec. 2nd. with 8 miles on the clock...

I was thinking about every 6 months but I've heard about 'Original Oil' being 'Break-In' Oil that shouldn't be changed until 5,000 miles...

What do Ya'll think? I'll probably be sticking with conventional Oil since I'm 68 freaking years old... :)

I was thinking about every 6 months but I've heard about 'Original Oil' being 'Break-In' Oil that shouldn't be changed until 5,000 miles...

I don't know where you "heard" that, but Subaru (who designed and built the car, after all) says 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. You have checked the Owners Manual, haven't you? FWIW, I have never seen a reference to a special 'Break In' oil in the FSM or any other Subaru technical literature.

I'll probably be sticking with conventional Oil ...
As long as the oil you choose is the correct SAE viscosity rating (5W-30 for the 3.6) and meets the specified API service classification (SN), you will be fine ... conventional or synthetic.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I don't know where you "heard" that, but Subaru (who designed and built the car, after all) says 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. You have checked the Owners Manual, haven't you? FWIW, I have never seen a reference to a special 'Break In' oil in the FSM or any other Subaru technical literature.
It's easier for me to just check things out here, than go get the Manual, put on some glasses and thumb thru Pages... :lol:

I heard the Break-In thing last year from the Honda crowd when I bought a new 2017 Accord V6... I sold that thing at 3,500 Miles after a year of ownership, with no Oil Change...

Rumor had it that Honda had an Additive to the Original Oil that needed to be there for 6,000 miles... I think it was a bunch of BS anyway... :)

It's easier for me to just check things out here, than go get the Manual ...

In that case, it's easier for me not to reply at all.

spacer.png

Archived