LegacyGT.com

BNR 16g Turbo!

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I have a 2008 GT

My stock turbo just went out. I am looking into the BNR 16 turbo. Do any of you have this turbo? If so what mods did you put on to accommodate?

What size injectors did you use? Fuel Pump? Those kinds of things. :)

Thank you!

• Moderators
16g would do well on an aftermarket fuel pump (dw65) and 700cc-ish injectors. Aftermarket downpipe to open things up, catless up pipe (your '08 already has one, so you're good there). Bulletproof your stock TMIC or go aftermarket.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Not to be a downer, but please search regarding the very common phenomenon where a turbo dies, sends metal glitter into the oil, which then takes out the engine. Often even if the turbo is replaced. tick tick tick! You might want to drain your oil into a clean bucket and inspect under bright light for metal particles.

EDIT: welcome, btw

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Not to be a downer, but please search regarding the very common phenomenon where a turbo dies, sends metal glitter into the oil, which then takes out the engine. Often even if the turbo is replaced. tick tick tick! You might want to drain your oil into a clean bucket and inspect under bright light for metal particles.

EDIT: welcome, btw

This ^

That's very important.

I have a vf52 and stock fueling and oil feed line. Ask JmP6889928 he'll help you out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

regarding stock fueling, you can get away with stock injectors and stock fuel pump on the turbos that have been mentioned (BNR16G, VF52, stock VF40 variants), but in some cases your tune might have to intentionally taper boost as it gets closer to redline in order to keep the injectors from "going static" (maxing out).

Or you can upgrade injectors/fuel pump and not have to worry about having boost taper.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Yep, I went with stock fueling, had a street tune yesterday, I'm at 90% duty cycle. I'm happy with the way the car perform's.

Been on stock fueling for over 4 years now. It all depends on what your looking for and how much you want to spend.

My wagon is my DD.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My engine is fine. It just barely went out. My mechanic looked at it. You guys have really helped a lot I appreciate it! Lots of ideas going through my head now. I have an aftermarket top mount in line for $200 so I think I'll go that route. Does anyone have the BNR 16g turbo? If so, do you like it??

My GT was my daily haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have the BNR 16g turbo? If so, do you like it??

Yes and yes! Mine is a couple of years old, so I think the design might be a little different now. But this being said, it was one of my first mods along with an UP/catted DP, EBCS, and 93 tune. It performed great like that. This summer, I switched to E85 along with DW1000 sidefeed injectors, new fuel pump, etc, and the 16G performs very well with that combo. It feels like it's well suited in this setup, but if my setup got any more aggressive, I might have to upgrade to the BNR HTA68 :) For now, it's awesome. Strong torque, keeps pulling through the rpm range.

A lot of people recently have been saying good things about JMP as well. I'm sure either way will be a good choice.

• Moderators

I'm also running a BNR 16g and have been happy with it. Nice upgrade from the stock turbo. I'm running with a DW65, ID1000 injectors, downpipe, axleback, headers, blah blah blah. Full build here if you care: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bmbs-obxt-build-thread-203319.html

In short, a 16G will benefit from nearly all bolt on mods that you choose to add. My car is setup to take a much bigger turbo if I choose to go that route a bit later, but for now the 16G gets to enjoy the support :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I've been running one without issues for around 30k miles. Very happy!

If I make any changes it will be to a better fuel pump and bigger injectors so I can up the boost a bit more, but I don't see myself going that route any time soon.

Curious about the hardon for 16g. Why that one? Are you looking for a particular improvement to your car?

Turbo barely went out usually translates to a "i changed my turbo, how come my engine died" thread a few much later. For as much money as your spending on upgrade parts whats a couple more to be sure engine is good too?

My personal opinion, if u want more power than the stock turbo then don't replace it with a 16g that only nets a few more hp than the stock vf40, while there may be more area under the curve but I thinkkk it's negligible. At the same time though don't go with a larger turbo unless u want to commit to upgrading not only your fuel system but your 5eat as well. I just went through a similar situation and upgraded to a bnr 18g which I loooove, at 20psi, it's very fun but I think my tranny gets buttery from time to time cuz I haven't made the appropriate upgrade that everyone on this forum pushes for on an auto when u get into a larger turbo/stage 3 territory. I hear jmps turbos are pretty amazing though as well and something to consider for sure.

JMP can make some real sweet turbos. If your looking for something about 16G size, he can make you a custom VF52 with billet compressor wheel. Definitely will put a smile on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an option? may be the route I take.

You need to do a lot more reading before asking more questions.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My engine is fine. Its just barely rebuilt.

Was it rebuilt after the turbo died or before? if before check for chips on the wheels. If after you're ok

5eat has upgrade options. which, as fahr_side suggested, you would know from doing a bit of reading. :)

A jmp turbo will put a smile on your face. However you don't need id1000 top feeds to use them. Less is more when upgrading your lgt. Getting 300tq gets expensive very quickly. if you are still at "my mechanic says" stage of car owership, every estimate of cost you get on here should be doubled.

My tuner recommended the following for me with my 16G and I'm happy with the results. 17lbs boost

Oil supply line

Upgrade fuel pump (do the whole sending unit package, mod sucks)

Catless up/dn

Tmic or bulletproof mod

Turbo inlet

Intake

Tune

The HO for bnr16g is cost and ease of install IMHO

Archived