LegacyGT.com

Spec B acting strange

awwrxwgn

Good morning,

was driving my car to work today and some strange things happened, thankfully I was pulling into my work parking lot

traction control light came on

service engine light came on

cruise light blinking

"s" mode flashing

all of a sudden steering locked up for a second and on the dash flashed a picture of the ebrake and to engage it

anyone know what this might be. Called Subaru and they said it sounds like an electronics issue and most likely will not be covered:confused:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CEL with cruise light blinking is usually a code of some kind. Perhaps even a code referring to transmission since those lights are also flashing. I'm totally guessing though as I have no direct knowledge. Get your code read and google it or post it here for more info. Auto parts stores (Auto Zone, etc) should generally be able to pull codes for you for free so at least you know what the car is telling you.

Is Check Engine Light blinking or steady on?

CEL with cruise light blinking is usually a code of some kind. Perhaps even a code referring to transmission since those lights are also flashing. I'm totally guessing though as I have no direct knowledge. Get your code read and google it or post it here for more info. Auto parts stores (Auto Zone, etc) should generally be able to pull codes for you for free so at least you know what the car is telling you.

Is Check Engine Light blinking or steady on?

I'd have to go check, I honestly can't remember but it was strange that steering locked up for a second while displaying engage emergency brake.

we can deliberate or you can go to nearest auto store and check for codes. Most likely your IAM dropped and car is in limp mode

I was simply asking for insight as I am not sure if I will be able to drive the car there. Only other option is to get it towed to Subaru and hope its not electronic and will be covered under the powertrain warranty...

Ok, to give you an example my IAM dropped twice because I had faulty plx blutooth OBDII dongle and it caused weird interference with ECU which in effect was throwing codes. SO it could be anything really. Where are you located? Maybe there is someone close by that could stop by and read your codes unless you have auto store close enough.

Ok, to give you an example my IAM dropped twice because I had faulty plx blutooth OBDII dongle and it caused weird interference with ECU which in effect was throwing codes. SO it could be anything really. Where are you located? Maybe there is someone close by that could stop by and read your codes unless you have auto store close enough.

I'm hoping I can drive it the 4 miles home and scan it since my neighbor has one. I'm just nervous since it was weird that the steering locked up for a second and on the dash flashed the engage e brake sign.:confused:

I seriously doubt that your steering wheel locked up. Maybe the engine rpm's dropped so low that you lost power steering boost for a second. All those ligts Coming on are just related to the check engine light coming on. I once had a CEL because I spun all wheels on an icy road and they all spun at different speeds. On the 5tg gen I have now the CEL came on while cruising down the road. It turned out it was the gas cap not being tight enough. I though I had tightened enough, but I guess it is thy sensitive. I don't think there is any electronic mechanism that will lock up your steering wheel except for the lock when you remove the key.

GL

X

---

I wouldn't worry about steering to be honest. If/when IAM drops your rpms are all over the place, might have been sudden drop in power steering pressure or something ....when you say lock up...do you meed actual lock or increased effort needed to steer because power steering is not working

edit: ^^^^ I guess we sent it at the same time :) what he said :)

There is little you can do. It is most likely safe to drive to the nearest parts store and have them scan the codes.

There can be no speculation until you scan the codes.

Today I go the "christmas tree" like you. Its -43c here today. Turned out to be a P0171 code, which is too lean.

thanks for the input guys. I am hoping it was just related to the cold weather. The car is garaged but it's probably 30 degrees in there. It very well could have been a loss of power steering, just something I have no experienced before. Also never saw an ebrake flashing on the dash...

There is little you can do. It is most likely safe to drive to the nearest parts store and have them scan the codes.

There can be no speculation until you scan the codes.

Today I go the "christmas tree" like you. Its -43c here today. Turned out to be a P0171 code, which is too lean.

shit..."only" -20c here. Intake manifold gaskets ? Rough idle by any chance?

• I Donated
Also never saw an ebrake flashing on the dash...

That generally happens when the e-brake is engaged (i.e. the switch is not being pressed down) when the car is moving. Sounds like you may have had a momentary issue with the ECU that caused the car to stall, and then it started up again since you were still moving? Speculation is pretty useless, though; you really need to pull the code.

P0300

P0171

Random misfire

System Too Lean (Bank 1)

As for the powertrain warranty, unless you have an extended warranty, I doubt you'll be covered. The Subaru powertrain warranty applies for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Assuming your 08 came out at the end of 07 (like 99% of cars), you're past the mark. Good luck

Random misfire

System Too Lean (Bank 1)

As for the powertrain warranty, unless you have an extended warranty, I doubt you'll be covered. The Subaru powertrain warranty applies for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Assuming your 08 came out at the end of 07 (like 99% of cars), you're past the mark. Good luck

I checked with Subaru, I am good for a few more months on the powertrain :) Thanks for all your help guys, appreciate it very much

the reason codes didn't come back...yet...means nothing. You have warranty, go check it out. Even if they send you home saying it's all good, make sure you have it on the paper if something goes wrong, right after warranty is done.

the reason codes didn't come back...yet...means nothing. You have warranty, go check it out. Even if they send you home saying it's all good, make sure you have it on the paper if something goes wrong, right after warranty is done.

it wouldn't be covered under warranty, $129 just for them to look at it. If it comes back I'll take it in. The cold does crazy things to these fine automobiles.

Archived