LegacyGT.com

Help with squeeking and smoke

I have a 1991 Legacy L, automatic which has recently begun to smoke coming from somewhere in the engine. I can see it coming through the grill at night and it does smell. It is worse when the engine is under pressure. When I got stuck in the snow, there were drops of yellow fluid on the ground. It wasnt motor oil, power steering fluid or radiator fluid. I checked the transmission dipstick and it was that color yellow. I think it is dripping on the exhaust causing the smoke. Also, there is a squeeking sound which you can only hear when car is idle. It sounds just like the power steering pump when the bearings start to go.

Question is, is there some sort of bearing that is tied in with the transmission and if so, is it an easy fix? I ask because it is an old car and am considering either fixing it or looking for a new one.

Yellow from the trans?? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Is it a clear yellow, or is it foamy?

Suggestion 1:

What color is your radiator coolant? Does your car have a combined radiator/trans fluid cooler? Is there a chance that a damaged radiator is resulting in radiator coolant and trans fluid becoming mixed?

You need to flush the trans. Yellow trans fluid? It's like blue pee - it's just not normal. I know that diufferent cars (especially newer japanese AWD) have very specific trans fluids, but I've never seen anything other than red for trans fluid.

After that I'd also get a UV dye kit from an auto parts store. It will contain different dyes for different fluids (oil, trans, radiation, refrigerant etc) and a UV light and yellow safety goggles. Park your car in a dark place (garage with no lights on) and go over the the engine with the UV light to make sure there's no existing glowing UV spots. Check the trans fluid to see if it already has a UV dye in it (my nissan maxima's manual gearbox oil did), fialing that put ONE of the fluids in first (trans) and drive it around for a couple of days. Then repeat the dakr/UV thing to try to find where it is leaking from. Also watch the color of your trans fluid and see if it goes yellow again.

Yellow trans fluid is a new one on me...

Archived