LegacyGT.com

front bumper

Guest mj2017

Well my car has under 5000 miles and the front bumper skin is coming away at the wheel well. Have not hit anything that I know of.

Not too impressed with Subaru.

001.thumb.JPG.c82bbcb03f94d5577b7352b224fd32f3.JPG

That only happens when the bumper has been bumped in a lot or when you tag a parking block/curb. When there is a small impact on the lower front portion of the bumper and it flexes, it is designed to release there to avoid cracking the bumper and/or bending the fender.

great, So I have a delicate car. And will this stay on or is it going to fall off?

Can't wait to see how much it would be to fix. I'm thinking of trading it in already on something else after this.

It's not delicate. I said it was designed to do that. Pop it back in, understand how the mechanical interface works (or have a dealer/shop do it for you) and stop whining and over-reacting. It's a fairly standard design use on most modern vehicles.

Ever heard of the mandate for 5 mph bumpers? It's one of your goverment's vehicle regulations. Auto manufacturers are required to produce a bumper that exhibits minimal to no damage in small impacts. That doesn't mean that they won't fall off, or in your case pop off the fender, or break a pop-it connector here and there, it means minimal monetary damage. So what that it popped off, it did what it was design to do, not break and cause minimal permanent damage.

You'll probably need one or maybe two new bumper clips to fix that and hold it in place. They unfortunately can run upwards of 15 cents per clip which mean you might have to turn off a light bulb in your house for an extra hour to recoup that outrageous maintenance cost! But in all seriousness, if you go to a Subaru they will probably do it for free for you especially since you are under warranty. If you're around 5,000 miles you are due for an oil change soon anyways so you'll be there within a few weeks.

great, So I have a delicate car. And will this stay on or is it going to fall off?

Can't wait to see how much it would be to fix. I'm thinking of trading it in already on something else after this.

Archived