LegacyGT.com

PCV valve removal trouble

Hey guys. I haven't posted here much but I have learned a lot from this forum. So thanks for the wealth of information that you have shared over the years!

I am having trouble removing the PVC valve in my 2.5 engine. The valve is threaded into an aluminium piece that goes into the engine block. It seems like the PCV valve is really tight in there, and the aluminium piece is spinning. The piece in question is the one with the red arrow pointing a it.

Untitled.jpg

I tried to get locking pliers and channel locks in there, but no success.

The aluminium piece that is spinning has two flat sides. It seems like they are there to grasp that piece. I was thinking about using a 19 mm wrench to kept it in place (crescent wrench didn't work) and maybe use an impact wrench to take out the PCV.

Any ideas? Because this is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance!

it is a bitch, I can't remember everything i did. but pulling with vise grips away from the hole is what worked the best for me and some cussing. I just pulled the entire piece that was pressed into the block out. it was the only way to get the pcv off and i still had to use lots of heat to get it out. then "press" (violently smash with a mallet)the piece back in and install a new pcv.

is your intake still on it may help to remove it, i would try and impact and heat if you have it

the piece that is pressed into the block is not a part, as in no part number, as in you can not buy one, be carefull...

P_20160915_134311.thumb.jpg.c3d623ae1816b8419eb5301fe3e5e9e9.jpg

P_20160915_134212.thumb.jpg.2979ce085de35d4e6ad4c6051f476c91.jpg

P_20160915_134126.thumb.jpg.1f3d2f93c55cd5453b8277729e6cc2f5.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the answers.

Took it to the Subaru tech and... the thing is really tight in there. They gave up and told me to keep going... They didn't charge me anything.

I haven't tried to pull out the whole assembly from the engine block. And I think I will not try...

Here is the interesting thing: the tech told me to put some wd-40 (or any other oil-based solvent) in the valve before an oil change. That should do it...

The car has 170k miles, and the valve should be changed by now. There are no problems, the engine runs fine, but... This was preventative medicine because I don't want any problems down the road. I checked the nipple that is connected to the PCV valve and there is some sludge in there. The PCV valve should have more.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Archived