LegacyGT.com

2006 aux in question

o2fst4uo

Sorry to sound terribly noobish but here goes.

I just bought a 2006 gt that happens to have an aux option on the headunit. At some stage I plan on going full double din but in the meantime, does the presence of this aux option mean that somehow I have the ability to plug a cable in and I'm away?

There's no actual aux input to be found which is annoying.

Edit: forgot to mention, it's JDM 2006 if that makes a difference. Every JDM legacy I've seen/owned seems to be a year ahead of usdm models

• 1 month later...

If you post a nice clear picture, so that the AUX is visible as well as all the functioning buttons, I'm sure I, or someone else will be able to help you.

I personally have never seen, or heard of, a factory head unit for the forth gen Legacy that had an AUX on the unit itself.

Headunit with aux button

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/23/4d33dd23054f75ba889546f4783bc981.jpg

Where the aux input would normally be (I've seen in other people photos)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/23/5ff35313a3714a5e0fdb8fdf2e3ee61f.jpg

Nothing to be seen. Previous owner couldn't find anything either.

So yea, does the button mean there must be some way to hook it up?

It was a Japanese import. Did they have the option standard? Regardless, with the headunit in there and the obvious option of aux input, how hard would it be to hook up?

Edit: Aha. Nasoic had a thread that helped me out. Apparently I need one of these http://ae64.com/i85_transplant_harness.htm

I gave svxdc an email so I hope this is the answer. I'll keep you posted.

SVXDC is super slow at replying (and hey, it's Christmas) so I just went ahead and bought this

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ST0JNE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Beat-Sonic AVC9 AV RCA Input Cable Harness for SUBARU LEGACY/OUTBACK: Automotive[/ame]

SVXDC might be a good guy and all but I'd rather purchase the harness from an automated logistics train than order through email that I'm not even sure he'll get. I'll get this installed and I'll be away laughing.

With this AND retrofitting Cruise control it's going to be a good holiday

Your picture shows head unit model "GX-204JE". That very well could have been the one that was fitted by the factory (especially since your armrest console has the blank panel where the OEM aux jack would go).

The rear of your HU has a proprietary 8-pin socket for the aux input. Your car has an existing harness connected there, with wires for audio steering wheel controls (if present on your wheel) and a signal related to illumination dimming.

Here in North America, people have been retrofitting 2007-2009 HU models (which have aux capability) into 2005-2006 Legacys/Outbacks (which don't have aux). That is where people need my i85 transplant harness. However, Legacys/Libertys/Outbacks built in Japan use a different physical connector.

For a time, Subaru offered a kit (P/N H6210AG000) to add an OEM aux jack to Japan-built cars like yours. It consisted of a "pod" ("aux terminal") that snaps in place of that blank panel, and a wire harness which connected from that to the rear of the HU.

The harness in that kit is roughly similar to the one you found from Beat-Sonic, except instead of a pair of female RCA jacks, the OEM harness has a long leg that reaches to the armrest console and has another proprietary 6-pin plug, to fit the socket on the bottom of the OEM aux pod.

See this thread:

(be sure to see my reply in post #17 there).

I think someone posted that Subaru no longer offers the OEM kit, though some vendors appear to still have them available.

The aux "pod" is still available separately here in the US, but a few years back the price skyrocketed from ~$15 to around $52 from the online discounters (MSRP $70 :eek:).

Note that North American models arrange the aux jack slightly differently:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/Leg07auxplug1.JPG

But I think the same aux pod fits cars built in Japan.

I can take a similar aux harness intended for Imprezas and Foresters (and still available here) and modify it to work with the Legacy/Outback aux pod. That involves re-pinning the 6-pin plug at the aux jack end, and adding the extra 8-pin socket at the HU end to pass through the signals from the car's existing harness.

In your case (since you've already ordered the Beat-Sonic kit), you might want to add a panel-mount aux jack such as this:

http://ae64.com/images-e41/IS335_aux_cable_kit-th.jpg

(click to see larger image)

...and mount that on your car's blank panel.

There are similar kits available on eBay, including variations that include a USB socket (which you might want for your future after-market HU).

SVXDC is super slow at replying (and hey, it's Christmas) so I just went ahead and bought this

SVXDC might be a good guy and all but I'd rather purchase the harness from an automated logistics train than order through email that I'm not even sure he'll get.

One of the reasons it sometimes takes me longer to reply (besides holidays like Christmas) is that I check what kind of Subaru and OEM HU the buyer has, and try to verify that the item(s) he's ordering will work in his car -- unlike most "automated logistics train" vendors who will blindly ship you whatever you order (and then may or may not accept a return).

Since your car was built in Japan, I knew my i85 transplant harness wouldn't work. I had to check your HU model to verify what kind of socket it has for its aux input.

One of the reasons it sometimes takes me longer to reply (besides holidays like Christmas) is that I check what kind of Subaru and OEM HU the buyer has, and try to verify that the item(s) he's ordering will work in his car -- unlike most "automated logistics train" vendors who will blindly ship you whatever you order (and then may or may not accept a return).

Since your car was built in Japan, I knew my i85 transplant harness wouldn't work. I had to check your HU model to verify what kind of socket it has for its aux input.

All awesome information. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a dig at you, I'm just really impatient Haha. I've been doing months of research figuring out if it could be done so I splashed out and got that model. If it weren't to fit I would have just on-sold it and got back to you after the holiday period (because I didn't want to nag you) so no harm done. If we were talking about something mega expensive I would have held off lol. You do some pretty awesome work.

If it turns out my headunit has the wrong aux connector I'll give you a bell in the new year. Thanks :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure if it's too late but for anyone who is still asking this question you need this plug https://www.wavetech.co.nz/AUX-SUB/

It plugs into the bottom left if you're looking from the front face, it's a white plug and I believe it has the cd player plugged into it, you unplug the cd player, plug in the aux cord then plug the cd player into the the new aux wires female port. This cable acts as a y splitter and you would be able to use all functions, what I then did was buy a aux jack and cut that wire and drilled a hole then glued it in place so the whole thing looks like a stock female aux input.

Archived