LegacyGT.com

Clutch decision...Exedy Stage 1 Vs. South Bend Stage 2 daily

It's time for a new clutch. My stock clutch is slipping at 56,000 miles. I have been running stage 2 for over 5 years so I can't complain too much.

As usual I did a lot of reading from multiple posts regarding clutches. I have narrowed it down between the Exedy stage 1 organic and the South Bend Stage 2 daily. I know a lot of people are running the South Bend so I expect a boatload of positive responses here.

Here are the caveats...

1. I am going to resurface the flywheel, NOT replace it.

2. I do NOT want to delete the clutch damper.

Here are my questions for people running the Cobb stage 1 or 2 upgrade..

1. How many of you installed either one of these clutches without replacing the flywheel?

2. How many miles do you have on your clutch and how do you like it?

P.S. I am only asking for responses from people that are running the Cobb stage 1 or 2 upgrade, otherwise it's apples and oranges.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

I've got about 25k miles on the southbend stg 2 daily. I resurfaced the flywheel, didn't want to get into a lwfw. Feels great, lighter pedal feel than stock Imo. But you're gonna get alotta people telling you to delete the damper if you want to prevent any clutch slippage

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've got about 25k miles on the southbend stg 2 daily. I resurfaced the flywheel, didn't want to get into a lwfw. Feels great, lighter pedal feel than stock Imo. But you're gonna get alotta people telling you to delete the damper if you want to prevent any clutch slippage

It seems counter intuitive that deleting the damper would prevent clutch slippage. I guess if you were more in tune with what your clutch was doing you're less likely to have it dropping hard when the damper adjusts in a way you aren't planning for?

I won't clutter this thread, but suffice it to say, deleting the damper makes for a much more predictable engagement point.

Btw I'm at stage 1 power levels... ~266whp/327wtq

If I'm not mistaken those are stage 2 numbers.

If I'm not mistaken those are stage 2 numbers.

Parts-wise I don't have stage 2 components. The dyno it was tuned on likely reads a lil high, but those were the numbers that spit out of the dyno at COBB in Plano. IIRC with stage 2, the tq doesn't increase by much but there is a more significant gain in hp going from stage 1 to 2

EDIT: Also just realized you've got a 3rd gen OBXT which is the similar to the 4th gen LGT? The 5th gens at stage 1 make comparable numbers as stage 2 4th gens.

Archived