LegacyGT.com

Cam Belt Snapped!!

davenz

hi guys,

My car of 1 year 3 months, is broken as the cam belt snapped!!

Got it from a dealership and asked for all that to be done.

Clearly it wasnt.

I am going to post my convo i had with a mate.

Sorry about the spelling and errors.

(just so you can all understand my problem)!!

I want advice etc.

Quoted from me to my mate via MSN

i got the car from a dealer (august 8th 2011) or sumthing. i said i want cam belt water pump etc done.. they said okay... got my car they said its all done.. had it for 2 weeks and it crapped out.. the tensior bolt snappped, The cam belt cam off but it didnt snap and there was no damage

they fixed it and i asked for recpeits and proof it was even done. they didnt really help and gave me a big **** around... finally they said we didnt do ya water pump....

we agreed they would pay for the water pump to be done when it craps out and they gave me gas vouchers etc. ( no enough but i couldnt be fucked)

so got it back and was like errr.. dont trust them. the next day a ******* loud noise appeared. i called them up they towed it. found out the the AC bracket was missing.

fine. what ever i bitched again.. meh..

then i was driving on the 3rd of SepMonday and the check engine lite came on and then all the lights and then it just died and i parked in a ditch.. Got AA to tow me to the local shop. they had a quick look and found my cam belt had snapped.

i called the car dealer.

this is where it gets intresting

the whole staff at the company has changed and no one new any thing aobut my car..

they were nice and payed for it 2 be towed to their shop

so i went to see the car at the shop and i spoke with the guy. both him and the other guys who found the broken belt both said it looks like this is factory belt..

so he called the old staff member and he said nar i was replaced.

he found an invoice for a new cam belt.

but the belt on the car was so old. no way its even new.

so hes like wtf.. i dont get it.

i have a repit for a new belt but this belt is not newish lol

so hes going errr. okies.. leave it with me.., he called me today with an update

according to what hes been told the first time that the bolt snapped. they actully replaced the new cam belt with a Partsmater one.. ( so when i brought it they put a Subauru one on) and its the partsmaster belt that has snapped,

so now the belt is with Partmaster TOYOPOWER, and they are testing it.

so atm i have no idea whos even paying to fix it. cause appaently if the belt is at fault they only have to replace the belt!

thats the story, OMG i have sore fingers lol

Seems to me that the dealer was really shady. A total staff replacement makes me wonder; did the dealer go through a bankruptcy or is it still the same business? It may make a difference when you try to get your car fixed. You should check with a local lawyer at least if there are any chances to get this fixed. Also check with your insurance company.

Damaged valves sucks big time. :(

If you can't sort it out and get the engine fixed your best bet is to get an used engine from a junkyard. Then mix the best parts from both engines into one working.

453747.png

Sorry to hear of you misfortune. +1 for the post on why the entire dealer staff changed, sounds like ya need a lawyer! Engine damage from a Timing belt loss is catastrophic. even if you change the heads, depending on RPM when the belt went, ya could have bent a con rod or loosened up a big or small end of the con rod, BIG $$ anyway. Good luck, have 'em put in a NEW STI motor!!

Mac

Yea, sometimes we get lucky, I bought a EJ25 DOHC car that one of the idler bearings for the timing belt locked up in and caused the Cam Timing gear(pass side exhaust) to self destruct, didn't have high hopes for the motor, but figured WTF, changed needed parts and a new belt, ran great! Not what's gonna happen normally, this car was at idle when it failed, at 3000rpm, we've got trouble!

Mac

For a broken timing belt to cause so much damage you would believe they would have returned to timing chain a long time ago; also replacing one is not for the novice either, being proactive and changing the belt before it fails could cause you an engine if it is not done correctly.. This is one job I will take to the experts to replace. It is best to have the shop put all of the old parts in a box for your inspection especially parts that are being replace as a preventative maintenance like the water-pump and tension idle bearing.. At least you will know it was replaced..

Archived