LegacyGT.com

Has Your LGT Been Affected by the "Studder"?

Vimy101

Has your LGT been affected by the "studder"?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Has your LGT been affected by the "studder"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure/uncertain

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My car is a new 2006. I bought it with only 6 miles on it and I just broke 1000 miles. I'm going to take it to the dealer to get all the 'issues' resolved.

And my car does have the studder issue.

The *only* time I've experienced it is when the car isn't fully warmed up and I try to accelerate fast (to pass someone for instance)
Same here, generally it isn't an issue. A slight hesitation in the 2.5-3k rpm range can happen after warmed up if I try to give it too much gas, but the real "studder" only happens in the first 5 or so minutes after a cold start (at least 4 hours off).

The studder is a pain……but like RochNY91TSI said….it usually only happens when cold. On that note…anyone experience what I like to call “1st gear surge” it’s hard to explain…but if it happened to you, you know what I’ talking about. The car all of sudden thinks your drag racing when you’re not on the gas.

Not only a studder but my car doesn't idle like it should either. The dealer tried to tell me that was a result of the "high performance" camshaft. What a Crock!:icon_mad:

Boxers are famous for their rough idle but I must say that my Spec. is pretty smooth.

The studder does not just happen when the car/engine is cold. It can happen anytime - even after a long warm up period. It is most prevalent when:

1. I gas it hard anywhere from 2-3k rpm - as the car accelerates

2. I'm just flying along on the hyway at constant speed, and all of a sudden the engine skips, bucks, or hesitates for a split second.

Frankly, it's embarrasing. I hate to bring friends in the car b/c it's just not smooth at all. Quick, but def not smooth...

The studder does not just happen when the car/engine is cold. It can happen anytime - even after a long warm up period. It is most prevalent when:

+1. I don't have the 'studder' when cruising however.

i never experianced a studder on my 05 lgt. although out here in AZ it seems like my car is never cold. As soon as i turn my car on and leave my drive way my car has already climbed into the warm range. Now that im runnin an AP i dont think i'll ever encounter it.

2. I'm just flying along on the hyway at constant speed, and all of a sudden the engine skips, bucks, or hesitates for a split second.

Frankly, it's embarrasing. I hate to bring friends in the car b/c it's just not smooth at all. Quick, but def not smooth...

I only experience scenario #1 of this guy's post.

Never had the studder or smelly clutch here (in ~7300 miles).

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

The studder is a pain……but like RochNY91TSI said….it usually only happens when cold. On that note…anyone experience what I like to call “1st gear surge” it’s hard to explain…but if it happened to you, you know what I’ talking about. The car all of sudden thinks your drag racing when you’re not on the gas.

I know what you're talking about! :lol: It's quite "entertaining" when you really aren't prepared for it. It's easy enough to solve (hit the clutch) and you can drive such that it doesn't happen (and even when it does it's infrequent) but to me this seems like it could be a safety concern. If it surged and you didn't clutch fast enough you could rearend someone.

I've certainly heard of others talking about this before. It's... odd.

I've had the surge a handful of times, but only within the first few minutes after starting the car I think (doesn't have to be a cold start). I've had the studder, but only after a cold start. Never had the stinky clutch aside from the usual clutch smell when I've had to overwork it or my leg starts to wear out.

OMG another studdering thread?:icon_wink

I have studdering often, for a year and a half now... but I have decided that this is the week for TDC stage 1 (happy Christmas to me!!, hopefully it'll help / cure the issue.

OMG another studdering thread?:icon_wink

I have studdering often, for a year and a half now... but I have decided that this is the week for TDC stage 1 (happy Christmas to me!!, hopefully it'll help / cure the issue.

Not a thread but a poll. I did a search to see if anyone had tried to quantify this problem and no one had. Interesting to see that about 2/3s - or more if the uncertain members (including me) - have experienced this ECM/ETC weirdness.

The first gear blast off happened to me once on a quickish launch to cut across some lanes of traffic. The Spec. exploded off the line after a brisk launch. I wanted to be quick but not rocket like. It must have been close to red line. Surprised the hell out of me but I put it down to just not being that experienced with the car's capabilities.

Archived