LegacyGT.com

What do i need for a good ej255 turbo build?

My 5th gen has hit 170k and burns a disgusting amount of oil. I've known that this was gonna happen at some point but I'm just not sure what I need to upgrade on my engine and what I can keep stock. For right now I want my power levels to sit around 325-350 for daily driving purposes. I plan to overbuild it because I know myself and more power is gonna happen sooner than later ( plan is to build it for max 450-500 hp). I know I'll need Forged pistons, rings, rods and bearings. What else would I need to upgrade to have a reliable build? I don't plan on bringing my engine to have someone else build it as I cant afford that right now. I plan on doing a rebuild of the stock turbo for now unless I can get a bangin' deal on a better turbo. I will get a cobb tuner at some point also I just don't want to tune my high mileage engine right now for longevity purposes.

Running the Cobb could still help if you just go with the stage 1 tune and don't start beating the crap out of it. You will need it do do most any changes you're talking about.

Built block to stage 2 and turbo rebuild/upgrade, like you said.

350ish whp on pump gas:

J Pipe

Bigger fuel injectors

Bigger fuel pump

EBCS 3 port (boost controller)

Aftermarket blow off valve

Bigger intercooler

Better clutch (fork and pivot upgrade)

Most likely a AOS to deal with the forged pistons and boost pressure.

Tomi (or some brand) 1mm head gaskets to deal with the built block and slightly taller piston heads.

Gauge and or better O2 sensor for monitoring AFR.

Fuel pressure gauge not needed, but allows for finer tuning and control. It comes in handy with the flex fuel kit below.

Might as well TGV delete while you're in there as well.

Port the turbo waste gate approach, but not the size of the waste gate hole itself.

...what am I forgetting?

edit to add:

Sti cams

ARP head studs

I upgraded my valve springs to better deal with the extra time in the higher RPM's.

400ish whp

Flex fuel kit and run E85

Our cars are limited by the turbo placement and pretty much top out around 400 whp. The turbo placement gives us a bit more torque than hp, so there's that.

Edited by stewdogg

Running the Cobb could still help if you just go with the stage 1 tune and don't start beating the crap out of it. You will need it do do most any changes you're talking about.

Built block to stage 2 and turbo rebuild/upgrade, like you said.

350ish whp on pump gas:

J Pipe

Bigger fuel injectors

Bigger fuel pump

EBCS 3 port (boost controller)

Aftermarket blow off valve

Bigger intercooler

Better clutch (fork and pivot upgrade)

Most likely a AOS to deal with the forged pistons and boost pressure.

Tomi (or some brand) 1mm head gaskets to deal with the built block and slightly taller piston heads.

Gauge and or better O2 sensor for monitoring AFR.

Fuel pressure gauge not needed, but allows for finer tuning and control. It comes in handy with the flex fuel kit below.

Might as well TGV delete while you're in there as well.

Port the turbo waste gate approach, but not the size of the waste gate hole itself.

...what am I forgetting?

edit to add:

Sti cams

ARP head studs

I upgraded my valve springs to better deal with the extra time in the higher RPM's.

400ish whp

Flex fuel kit and run E85

Our cars are limited by the turbo placement and pretty much top out around 400 whp. The turbo placement gives us a bit more torque than hp, so there's that.

I quite literally have every single one of those mods done to my car WITH e85, and it pulls/drives a ton better than it did stock.

Ed at XRT is the man.

Edited by Flamario
Misunderstanding

I quite literally have every single one of those mods done to my car WITH e85. XRT said i'm only at 313/321.
You were also told something is choking your engine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You were also told something is choking your engine.

When I made more power running 93 on a dyno?

Let me reword my first post so it doesn't sound like i'm trashing ED. He has worked magic on my car and it feels leaps and bounds better than it originally did.

When I made more power running 93 on a dyno?

Let me reword my first post so it doesn't sound like i'm trashing ED. He has worked magic on my car and it feels leaps and bounds better than it originally did.

E85 uses more fuel and air, so your engine needs more volume in and out to maximize power. Every other 20g build had made way more torque than yours. So either you have an issue in your engine with your turbo.

E85 uses more fuel and air, so your engine needs more volume in and out to maximize power. Every other 20g build had made way more torque than yours. So either you have an issue in your engine with your turbo.

That still doesn't answer the question of how did I make more power on 93 on a dyno?

The car pulls harder now then it did before. If i made 360 then and my calibrated butt dyno says it's faster now, then I'm inclined to believe it's higher than the previous 360.

The 20g makes peak boost and holds it from 3250-6500rpm. That to me doesn't sound like a flow issue.

and before anyone thinks I'm angry about this, I'm not.

The car pulls harder now then it did before. If i made 360 then and my calibrated butt dyno says it's faster now, then I'm inclined to believe it's higher than the previous 360.

I'd guess the number Ed quoted you is just inaccurate, given what a plain old stage 2 setup makes on pump gas (300ish whp). Maybe an extra hot day or going uphill when you took the log? Less-than-85%-ethanol E85? If you want to confirm/deny it, RomRaider has a virtual dyno in it, or you can send me a new log and I'll run it through mine.

I'd guess the number Ed quoted you is just inaccurate, given what a plain old stage 2 setup makes on pump gas (300ish whp). Maybe an extra hot day or going uphill when you took the log? Less-than-85%-ethanol E85? If you want to confirm/deny it, RomRaider has a virtual dyno in it, or you can send me a new log and I'll run it through mine.

The logs were all taken on a road with varying slope changes. I wouldn't think it would have THAT much effect on the HP readout.

I have a local AWD dyno. I think i'll see how much he will charge just to hook it up and get some numbers.

If you have an ap run the datalog through virtual dyno.

The reason it could make more power on 93 is it needs less air volume on 93, than e85. The more air supplied by the turbo the harder the turbo has to work and the more heat the intercooler needs to bleed off. So if your turbo is an inefficient as Ed has claimed then its blowing some incredibly hot air and probably heat soaking the intercooler earlier than it should.

Edit- so hes had to back off the timing to the point its costing you power to improve safety.

The reason it could make more power on 93 is it needs less air volume on 93, than e85. The more air supplied by the turbo the harder the turbo has to work and the more heat the intercooler needs to bleed off. So if your turbo is an inefficient as Ed has claimed then its blowing some incredibly hot air and probably heat soaking the intercooler earlier than it should.

Edit- so hes had to back off the timing to the point its costing you power to improve safety.

According to my logs he has more timing.

I’m not a tuner by any means, so I appreciate whatever info you share with me. Feel free to PM me on Facebook if you’d like. I’m open to heat whatever from anyone.

Also, when I say it made more power on 93, I meant it made more power on 93 with my previous tuner on a real dyno.

Eds log shows higher power on e85 over 93, but not to the power level it should be.