LegacyGT.com

Need some help car will not stay running.

So on Wednesday I filled my car up with a full tank of gas. I drove it to work that day which is about 50 miles round trip. I didn't drive it for one day. Today, Friday, my friend takes the car to drive to Orlando, approx 80-90 miles one way. He gets about 20 miles away and stops at a Walmart to get some stuff. When he returns to the car he goes to start it up and it won't stay running. He said that once the car starts moving it runs smooth but there is some hesitation to accelerate. When he gets back to my place I try it, I start the car up and it immediately starts to die you have to keep giving it has to keep it alive. Does anyone have any idea where to start? No check engine lights have turned on. All hoses seem to be connected and I'm 100% positive I put 93 in the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay so I checked the MAF and the intake. Everything was was connected and seemed okay. I unplugged the MAF and started the car. The car started up and idles perfectly. I checked the codes that came up and they were for the MAF.

I cleared the codes and plugged in the MAF again. Car started up just fine and idled a little rough as it was relearning. Everything smoothed out so I took a small drive around the neighborhood.

After applying any gas in reverse or forward gears the car would die when I slowed and pushed the clutch in. I could change from 1st to 2nd no problem. When I came to a stop sign I'd out the clutch in and it would die.

Every time this happened I would restart he car and it would die again immediately. I'd restart it a second time and it would act like it's going to die us then it would stumble and catch itself.

Any additional ideas??

disconnect the battery and force it to relearn. also disconnect any obdii monitoring plugs when you do the battery. she had a thing from our insurance company cause an issue when i disconnected and reconnected her battery...

Get some sensor cleaner on your maf, ONLY sensor cleaner, the rest leave a residue. It's a simple cleanup job, just don't use any brushes or anything on it. If you have taken that out of the equation and it runs fine after, there is generally your culprit!
08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

You never said you cleaned the MAF-clean it. Front O2 is the next place to go. You had it replaced a year and a half ago makes no difference. They go bad on a regular basis, especially on stock manifolds or UEH because of too hot. No CEL and a lot of little issues (crappy idle, STFT hunting up and down-SURGING, hard start, awful gas mileage, intermittent miss, etc.).

Find a known good O2 and swap. If it fixes the issues-OE only-no aftermarket.

Yeah I ended up not having them change the o2. All the reading on the accessort were good and it was not acting like it did last time the o2 went bad. The dealership basically took a quick look around alto make sure everything was connected and looked to be in place. They were hesitant to really work on the car seeing as it has an aftermarket tune which I expected.

I'm gonna dig into the car tomorrow to see if I can find something obvious before I go an start part changing.

I don't really want them to. I just figured maybe I missed something that they would see. I'd rather work on it myself. Un marrying it would require putting the stock tune on it right? If that's the case the car will barely run because of the mods I have done.

Keeps going back to MAF. If you have a rich condition, it's generally only a couple of things-MAF, failed injector, ECM/Tune issue.

I would clear the code and drive it for a bit first and make sure it wasn't just a hiccup of some sort in the fuel system.

Find someone you know with a good MAF and borrow it for a few minutes and see what the car does.

Archived