LegacyGT.com

How did your flash effect your MPG?

The way things are going, it's a shame I'm looking to performance mods to better the fuel economy. I'd like to hear if any of the available flash tunes has bettered your MPG. Back when I first had the Evo flashed, I picked up an average 2-3 MPG. I've considered the Vishnu tune, but they tend to run a bit rich.

The way things are going, it's a shame I'm looking to performance mods to better the fuel economy. I'd like to hear if any of the available flash tunes has bettered your MPG. Back when I first had the Evo flashed, I picked up an average 2-3 MPG. I've considered the Vishnu tune, but they tend to run a bit rich.

About the same. The car runs a bit leaner than stock in open loop, and the closed loop to open loop rpm dependant shift point was upped. This would theoretically give better mileage when you are standing on it, but this is likely offset by increased airflow of the upped boost (requiring more fuel). And really, is anyone really concerned about mileage at WOT? So really it's a wash.

The thing is that under normal conditions you will be running in closed loop, where the ECU is reading the front O2 sensor and trying to bring the mixture as close to stoic. as possible. So really, under cruise conditions there will be no effect on mileage.

FYI, I get around 24-25 mpg on the freeway, and around 18-19 mpg in town. Remarkably close to the EPA numbers. My car is on an Ecutek tune with minimal mods right now.

at first my milage dropped...but that was related to the fun factor, hehe.

but now, I average between 23-24mpg combined city highway. On a road trip through the mountains of Colorado, I got 30.0mpg for a round trip of 326 miles.

I am running Stage I Cobb AP....and I have an outback XT 5mt.

Yeah Iwould have to chime in and say that there won't be anything significant that will offset say the price of the mods. If you are looking for major MPG increase then change your driving style. I drove the car like grandmas for a tank just to see what it could do and I wound up with 367 miles for the tank both highway and city at almost 26 MPG!

However normally I get about 23-24 mixed and 310 miles before I fill up

Thanks guys... guess I was hoping for something along the lines of the Evo... they run pig rich off the lot in the high 9 to low 10 AFRs. The LGT is the wife's, and she is averaging around 23 1/2 hwy. That's a BlTCH at the pumps right now.

What "BOOSTJUNKIE" said, yeah! The reflash on our OB XT made a small gain (1-2) in MPG figures noticeable in the HWY. range. Bone stock ECU, etc. 18-22 mpg on average, cty.-hwy. combined.

What would this thread be without stating the obvious. LGT/OB mileage is what it is....

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

So far, I've seen no measureable change for my average drive, and my car usage has seen very consistent highway / city mix since I got it last September. And I keep track of every drop used. :)

I am actually currently working on my best tank ever (according to the computer anyway) 6mpg better than the average for the life of my car! I'll admit to pussyfooting this tank, but this is better than my last pussyfoot attempt :p

BTW, this is Stage 1 91.

Flashing will gain you a little bit of mpg. but the major factors that effect mpg is how you drive/where you drive(ie highway/local roads)/what traffic you drive in(rush hour, non rush hour).

if you want the most mpg for your buck. drive like a grandma during light traffic hours on the highway.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

You can't underestimate the effect of engine break-in on fuel economy, either, and an engine can take as long as 15-20k to fully break in. My miata kept getting better and better, until about 20 or 22k mi, at which point I have been getting 29 - 31 mpg. I get 29 when I drive it like I stole it, and 31 when I take it easy most of the time. I could squeeze out another mpg or 2 if I really wanted to, but I just can't drive the miata like a grandma =)

Anyway, as I said, that car kept getting better for a good 20k mi. I'm hoping to see 25 mpg avg for my GT in a year or so. Right now I'm getting 23.5 or 24 in my mixed driving.

I've noted the break-in benefits also but no, this is tied directly to the upgrade - it happens completely conincidental with the modification. You can notice it with just a chip or a flash but it can be even more pronounced when there are other mechanical and thermodynamic efficiencies involved. And not just for 'us' it happened when I was worked over my A4 too - and my then-tuner said glibly, "that's common" (his wife was generally more chatty with me) - and before anybody disparages it, Ivor has a Western European Rally Championship and a Spanish Touring Car Championship to his name, has been tuning boosted cars for about 20 years and fronting rides for everything from Speedvision to Rally's to the Mt Washington hill Climb. We aren't talking about someone playing with cones in a parking lot...

Subaru motors last a long time,,it also takes a long time (mileage wise) to fully break in the motor.

Just as I've said about my STi,,If you bought this car fr gas mileage awards,,you bought the wrong car.

Rudy

The same could be said about those of you wanting more power... "you bought the wrong car". You should have bought a more powerful platform. Same mentality that is...

If you want to improve power, and I want to improve economy, we both are trying to modify the vehicle outside it's designed parameter.

There is nothing wrong with anyone attempting to modify their vehicle in any direction they so chose. That is their own prerogative.

It's almost as ludicrous a statement as saying "you get what you pay for". If that were the case, all JDM parts would come with two 18 year old lesbian whores for what the pieces are priced at. Exhausts are the best example. You are a FOOL to pay $1k for some bent tubes and a muffler!

351 miles today on my normal mixed driving commute - 25.8 mpg actual. I think I could have touched 400 (my goal), but wanted to fill up before gas prices spike due to Katrina)

However, as noted earlier, I was driving with a VERY light foot with this tank.

<edit>

all JDM parts would come with two 18 year old lesbian whores

HA! Good parts!

Archived