LegacyGT.com

The Legacy is fricken fast!

Hello boys/girls,

I'm back after a 3 month hiatus. (I know... nobody cares or noticed.)

I recently picked up a new toy from the USA - a 2000 Corvette hardtop. It's a car which I'd always wanted as a kid so when I saw a low mileage specimen pop up in Atlanta, I didn't hesitate to buy it and have it transported to Calgary.

Needless to say, I've been spending the last month or so driving it everywhere. It's completely stock except for aftermarket CAI and a Borla exhaust which is probably good for 15hp for a total of maybe 360hp at the crank.

After receiving some snow during the last couple of days, I finally took my poor neglected LGT for a spin when I realized something. The LGT is pretty damn fast! :lol:

Going by the seat of my pants, I'd have to say that my bone stock LGT feels a LOT faster off the line and up to around 55mph than my C5! (After that, the gearing along with the LS1 engine in the C5 really shines as it takes off.)

I know this is probably no surprise to most people but I have to admit that I was shocked. Who knew that a heavier car with a "measly" 2.5L could take on a lighter, aerodynamic 2 seater with a 5.7L and 100hp advantage?

I'm going to borrow a G-Tech when the weather gets better and post some quantitative results but I have to say that I'm very impressed... again.

http://www.takabe.ca/frc/cleanfrc-4.jpg

Cool. Different cars give different experiences.

You sould take a ride in my LGT after driving my '69 Camaro around for a while. Both quick... but in different ways. ;)

Very nice! When can I come over? :lol:

I had a modded 94 Z28 which was my introduction to the muscle car. Of course it's a small block compared to yours but the torque on demand was great.

And not to mention that you can fit two extra hot girls in the back seat of the LGT. Maybe those 21 yr old twins? :lol::lol:

It always amazes me that there are not more legacies around with how great of a car it is.

Nice neighborhood and cars!

X

---

Back to back test drives with a 400HP GTO yield very similar conclusions.

The GTO owner and I both agreed that the Stage 1.5 (Stage 2, Gutted pipes only) was faster from a dig up to typicial legal speeds...then the GTO wins on anything highway speeds and up.

1/4 miles were approximately the same, so and the end of 1/4...he is gaining and walking me..

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

You mentioned you got back in the LGT after a snow. That's pretty interesting timing, too, because our turbos seem to behave much better (i.e. faster) when the ambient outside temperature is cooler.

I've loved driving my shrek in the winter because it feels like it has another 10 ponies when it is cold out. Now that we've had some warm and humid air around DC, it feels sluggish by comparison.

My point is I wonder how different the LGT will feel back to back with the vette in the middle of summer.

(EDIT) - Knoxville - you need to remove those clamps on your nibbles and bits. That looks too painful.

Is you Vette a manual?

Nice rides. Very different, which is nice. One is Luke Skywalker and the other is Darth Vader.

Of course, the Legacy is Darth Vadar.:icon_twis

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Yes, the cars are definitely apples and oranges but driving the C5 has given me a new appreciation for my LGT. :)

jmf, you're right about the colder temperatures. I always notice an extra kick in the pants when I'm driving on a cold day. I should also note that I'm running snow tires as opposed to the Firehawks on the C5.

NewlegGT, the Corvette hardtop only came with 6spd. :cool:

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed is that the performance of the LGT starts to drop as you add passengers. Even one large passenger can make the [sI] mode feel like mode while there's no perceivable difference in the C5.

Hmm... maybe I should look into a downpipe and Accessport for my LGT. Or maybe a set of long tube headers for the C5?

Damn! I'm going to be broke in no time. :spin:

Yeah, turbo cars tend to "feel" faster, even if they are equivalent (or close enough). Its mainly due to the rate of acceleration ramping up so much quicker on the turbo fed cars compared to N/A beasts. Both are different, but I love them both. I need a large displacement car soon :D

No, the legacy should not get significantly slower as you add weight at low speeds, since I just are more likely to hit target boost in 1st and 2nd. Then again, it's been a long time since I drove a untuned car. :lol: With the avo380 I got some clutch slip in the middle of 1st with 4 passengers whereas I get none by myself. Also they almost dirtied their shorts..

• 3 years later...
I had a bone stock 2006 GTO(6.0L) up until 2 weeks ago, and I agree. The GTO could not get out of the hole like my stage 2 legacy can(even with a slipping clutch) but the GTO will freight train it on the big end. Also the driveability of the GTO was so much better. I could be driving around in 6th gear at 900 rpms and it would go up a hill without even blinking. I had to relearn how to drive going into the legacy. It doesnt see below 1500 rpm ever.

WOW back from the dead.

It's hard to beat a V8 for low end. But I'm pretty happy with the VF52 on my wagon. It has good top end and good mid range power with half the pistons.

It's also getting 24.9 mpg on the dash today. My Spec is reading 25.6 mpg after the drive to VT and back.

What does your GTO get for mpg, I have no idea?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had a 2004 C5 Z06 which I traded for the LGT (needed a car to transport my kitesurfing gear). I think my Stage2 LGT could take the Z06 to the first 20 mph or so (4K rpm launch), after that it would be done. My Z could get 28mph on the highway, on the LA streets though, it would be in the 14s...

But man I miss the Z sometimes, when the LS6 hits 3K rpm, the fun and danger factor start to go up exponentially with the rpms :)

WOW back from the dead.

It's hard to beat a V8 for low end. But I'm pretty happy with the VF52 on my wagon. It has good top end and good mid range power with half the pistons.

It's also getting 24.9 mpg on the dash today. My Spec is reading 25.6 mpg after the drive to VT and back.

What does your GTO get for mpg, I have no idea?

My gto would see 24-25 on the highway if I tried. The 6th gear would only churn at 2000rpms at 80mph so that helped a lot

My gto would see 24-25 on the highway if I tried. The 6th gear would only churn at 2000rpms at 80mph so that helped a lot

Nice to hear. I liked those cars, they looked good and were fast.

I had a 1970 GTO 400, 4 speed. To bad that telephone pole got in my way back in 1973.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived