LegacyGT.com

My LGT let me down today

We set off this morning heading to Durango, Colorado. Just outside of Alamosa I see the temp gauge blink red just once. I've never seen it red before while driving. So I slowed down a bit just in case since the blinking stopped immediately. I had my wife check the manual real quick which states blinking red means to slow down as it's getting hot. Solid red is stop immediately.

We stop for gas and a quick break shortly after and then head off again. Right after we start the climb to Wolf Creek Pass (10,856 feet above sea level) the light starts blinking again, maybe three times. Damnit, I'm in the middle of nowhere. No cell signal, no data service. I pull over and let the car sit for a bit. It's pretty cold out and the roads are partially covered in snow. Twenty minutes later we are off again. I make it all the way to the top of the pass and pull over again at the ski resort. LTE service here is strong thankfully.

While we wait I call the Subaru dealer in Durango. I also reserve a car from Enterprise online. From there it's downhill about 4000 feet into a small city where we stop again for lunch. No lights this time. About 60 miles away from Durango now.

But there's another hill climb. Almost immediately the light starts blinking. No cell service here either. Pull over and wait a bit. When we take off a while later we only make it about a mile before the light starts blinking. Somehow I have service though. I call for a tow truck and Enterprise. Four tow places later I finally get someone that can make it to me in a timely matter. Enterprise was another story. They tell me they have no car available for me. My corporate discount rate was $85 roughly for two days. Instead I have to call Budget. There's no discount. $285 for two days. The tow was $205. No idea what the repair bill will be. I just rolled over 60k miles this morning.

I'm hopeful that they can at least have it fixed by tomorrow so I don't have to stay here another day. So now I wait for the dealership to call.

Did you ever ck your coolant level and ck for leaks. Sometimes a simple radiator hose clamp (lower hose most common) to be a culprit? Hopefully it's a simple fix and you can get it back soon!

Hoses appeared tight. There was coolant in the tank. It did smell like coolant when I pop the hood. No huge leaks that caused visible dripping, but I do think there was some out somewhere.

Guess I'll see what the dealer says. Engine started up fine every time, never had the solid red light.

Just curious what's your mileage and has your coolant been changed?

My wife would absolutely :eek::spin::mad: and accuse me of changing things that made this happen to her supposedly reliable car. Been down that road already when the dashboard lit up on Alligator Alley way past midnight. :cool:

Hope it works out well 4ya.

Just curious what's your mileage and has your coolant been changed?

He said he just turned over 60k miles, and since Subaru doesn't call for coolant change until 130k (or whatever it is), it's highly unlikely it has been touched.

If anyone has comments on how much it should cost would love to hear it. I'm a twelve hour round trip drive from my home right now so kinda screwed. Considering towing it to Heuberger just so it's close even though it's rather far.

If you have had it repaired once you most likely have some leverage to make a case for getting this repaired for a much more reasonable cost if not under warranty. I would have a direct conversation with the service manager where the car is and explain the previous replacement.

Blown head gasket.

They are saying $3200-3500 and 7-9 days minimum.

I'll update in a bit when I have better service, in the mountains right now.

:eek:

I paid 1200 for my head gasket job a year ago in Phoenix at Forced Air Technologies. They even installed a clutch and timing belt kit for free since they had the engine out.

7-9 seems like a lot unless that includes waiting for parts.

It's getting transported to Colorado Springs either next Monday or Tuesday. $450. Saves me a long round trip.

I'll call around to some local places when I get home for some quotes after I talk with Heuberger. Maybe they will help out, maybe not.

Just to make sure the shop isn't trying to pull a fast one you can do a few things your self just to make sure. Test kit at auto parts store, I think it's $30.. But before that check your oil does it look like coolant has mixed with it an check coolant an see if oils in there.

Right now my Subaru is in the shop because of overheating. Bad they've replaced radiator, water pump an thermostat an it still over heats..

Made it home last night. My car is still in Durango for now. Should be transported back early next week.

Little update on the pricing they gave me at the dealer in Durango. $3500 was for the head gasket replacement AND to have the heads sent off to be machined just in case they were warped.

I'm not really sure that the machining would be necessary since the car never reached the overheat temps. Thoughts on that?

What other services should I have done at the same time? Just the timing belt?

Heads need to be checked and corrected if warped. It's stupid not to do it while the motor is apart.

Reminds me when I did my 1st head gasket change without decking the heads. At 1st start up I had a pond of oil under my car. Lessen learned. :redface:

Yeah mine included the machining, which they did need.

Maybe clutch while you have it apart?

Certainly if you ever wanted to do anything aftermarket in that area now would be the time.

Waiting on a call back from a local shop for a quote. Heads will be sent off to be checked/machined. I'll probably have them do timing belt too - I think the kit has the water pump as well.

Now I'm deciding on whether or not to buy a new car soon. Only 60k miles on it now, but it's the most I've ever put on a car. I've always switched cars every few years. I kept this one because I couldn't find a new car that had what I wanted without being double the cost.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Yeah mine included the machining, which they did need.

Maybe clutch while you have it apart?

Certainly if you ever wanted to do anything aftermarket in that area now would be the time.

Considering doing some things while it's there. All depends on how much the fix costs.

Right now I just have Cobb ap with ots stage 1 tune and axle back megan racing exhaust.

I don't really want to have to replace the clutch, so no e85 :lol:

Intercooler? Downpipe? Obviously with a tune.

Intercooler and downpipe are not something you need to do during a HG job. Clutch should definitely be considered. Several stock clutches here have only lasted about 60k miles with minimal to no mods on the car at all.

Yeah I know they don't need to be done at the same time, I'm just trying to find a bright spot so that I don't trade this thing in after I get it fixed.

A little more power might help me forget my mistress' past transgressions :lol:

$3500 was for the head gasket replacement AND to have the heads sent off to be machined just in case they were warped.

I'm not really sure that the machining would be necessary since the car never reached the overheat temps. Thoughts on that?

it didnt get too hot. but you told some one to give you a quote for a overheating car, and thats the answer you got. anybody would check the heads and deck with a feeler gauge or similar tool first before just throwing them to a machine shop. i think the shop was just giving you a worst case scenario quote.

from your story it sounds like you saved yourself from lots of damage; actually pulling over for cooling time is real smart.

Archived