LegacyGT.com

Install: RikGT Master Cylinder Brace

So after a little hiccup with the shipping boys finally got the RikGT (Forum Member) 2010 Legacy Master Cylinder Brace.

In the box was a master cylinder brace and some nuts and bolts no surprise here. So here we go.

Initially I was going to do this with the engine cover on but it got in the way pretty quick so I would suggest removing it. It will simplify the wiggling in part of the install.

Once that is off I removed the 10mm bolt with that grounding wire.

Then I proceeded to remove those 2 - 13mm bolts holding up the gas line bracket and some other bracket lower down.

Now comes the fun part of wiggling the master cylinder brace into position. I wiggled the part of the brace that sits next to the suspension top mount behind the gas line. Note that I placed the gas line bracket in front of the brace and left the other bracket behind.

Once all lined up I used the longer supplied bolts to refasten as this together.

I reused the initial 10mm bolt I took off that grounding wire to fasten the brace.

At this point that brace is holding on by 3 bolts. The 10mm grounding wire one and the 2 -13mm longer bolts holding the brackets. There is another existing hole opening for a bolt & nut that you have to remove the tire to fasten. At this point I choose not to install this bolt. I may install when I go to my summer set up.

Last step is install the bolt and nuts that push up against the master cylinder brace.

Initial impressions this tightens up completes my system and removes that squishy feeling & thus it feels more responsive. Just for comparison I have STI Brembos in the front and stainless lines.

1.thumb.jpg.f9d445ff9e0085da1ee0d4b9ef9b1447.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.cda99a9bee0a71ddd06c94c789bea747.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.1aea7df3bf7ad0b11924938864116c10.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.d8d43d20f794800bd2ed6e82235bb168.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.a831679a00df128c7ab55230f491c578.jpg

6.jpg.6e4f0fbaf03f8467b21bffd4fe43ef72.jpg

7.jpg.bbf94c6da8d3f2c9ba8fccfa4d95e386.jpg

I didn't realize that is how the brace worked. It just positions a bolt up against the master cylinder. I'm guessing the firewall flexes when the brakes are applied?
Correct. There is a video showing firewall flex posted on both Grimmspeed's website and Perrin's clearly showing the flex. Showing their own products of course, on different cars.

Correct. There is a video showing firewall flex posted on both Grimmspeed's website and Perrin's clearly showing the flex. Showing their own products of course, on different cars.

Oh, so our 5th gens have flexing firewalls also?

I had assumed that with the emphasis on stiffness there was with this platform (I read somewhere) they would have fixed this.

Oh, so our 5th gens have flexing firewalls also?

I had assumed that with the emphasis on stiffness there was with this platform (I read somewhere) they would have fixed this.

Pretty much all production cars will have some flex in the firewall, to varying degrees of course. It's not a problem from a structural standpoint, it's just something that can be fine tuned when higher performance is the goal.

Pretty much all production cars will have some flex in the firewall, to varying degrees of course. It's not a problem from a structural standpoint, it's just something that can be fine tuned when higher performance is the goal.

Noted! It seems Subarus in general have a bit more of it though, if the number of companies making braces for its various plafforms are any indication.

I did a search and found the long thread on braces here. As usual, hardly any options compared to the other platforms. I prefer the RikGT version as it seems to be much easier to install than the Cusco, which looks to be unobtainium anyway.

Oh, and I lold at your description of the 6th gen guys. :lol:

I really think you need to have that lower bracket on the other side of the brace. The brace should be directly up against the strut tower.

Honestly, I was questioning that as well but analyzing the way it sits I am not sure it will make a huge difference in my opinion. The brace came with no instructions and I took an executive decision. :):)

I did not take a picture of the part but there are these cylinder barrels on the brace which sit nicely in that lower bracket. Just my 2 cents ..... but that for mentioning it.

The RikGT version is pretty much an exact copy of the Cusco brace which is no longer made, and hasnt been for some time now, for LHD 5th Gens. There should be absolutely no difference in the install between the two.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

Thank you for you views on the brace. It's really helps the feel and responsiveness of the brake system. It is a close replica of the Cusco but not exact. I didn't make instructions as it is kind of self explanatory to you once you get it in place and I also have some great people that do write ups on it! Thank you very much I truly appreciate it. As with any of my products I am always there if you have any questions and I apologize for the delay. I did have the bracket at the bottom mounted on the outside so the brace is completely against the strut tower but if you have the other way it's not really going to make a big difference as long as everything is tight. As with any modification to your car, check all bolts after a couple hundred miles to make sure everything is still tight as the chassis does flex and it is having a vast amount of pressure applied to it. If anyone has questions or would like to order one you can send me a pm or email me@ autoartct@gmail.com I hope that's ok Admins. If not please let me know. Thank you

Noted! It seems Subarus in general have a bit more of it though, if the number of companies making braces for its various plafforms are any indication.

I did a search and found the long thread on braces here. As usual, hardly any options compared to the other platforms. I prefer the RikGT version as it seems to be much easier to install than the Cusco, which looks to be unobtainium anyway.

Oh, and I lold at your description of the 6th gen guys. :lol:

Or perhaps other platforms just don't think about that kind of stuff, lol. You don't need function to "stance"...and it's not a visually appealing part when installed.

Or perhaps other platforms just don't think about that kind of stuff, lol. You don't need function to "stance"...and it's not a visually appealing part when installed.

Could be. :)

I personally think it looks appealing, functional performance parts are about as cool as it gets for me!

Could be. :)

I personally think it looks appealing, functional performance parts are about as cool as it gets for me!

I think it is visually appealing as well. Also you could always paint it a different color if you wanted to match your engine bay color scheme. Also, I am not a fan of buying parts that don't do anything lol also not a " Stance" guy lol maybe it's me getting older haha

I think it is visually appealing as well. Also you could always paint it a different color if you wanted to match your engine bay color scheme. Also, I am not a fan of buying parts that don't do anything lol also not a " Stance" guy lol maybe it's me getting older haha

I am already playing around with what color mine will be when I get one. Dont have anything to match it to since I havent added anything yet. It may end up black. :lol:

Parts need to be functional for me too...so sometimes I invent imaginary benefits for some of the crap I buy.

"Honey, those overlays will keep the tailights pristine for when we trade in the car."

Archived