LegacyGT.com

05 06 TO 08 09 steering column SWAP

madrig

• 8 months later...

most of the work is t relocate the mounting point

the wiring can fit the only one to modify is the ignition , too short and the plug touch the handle at collapsed position .

i have more wiring to do cause i keep my 2005 steering with the 2005 cruise control .

the plug harness for the cruise/horn /radio( roll connector plug) need to be changed .is not plug and play from 05 to 08 .

IMG_3769.thumb.JPG.d8d74f2e906a5fe657bedbc23cca32b9.JPG

IMG_3773.thumb.JPG.63e44d06d64df621f8457761ffdb1535.JPG

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I realize this is old, but did this swap ever get completed? Looking into doing this same swap on an 05 (08 column into a 05) to add paddle shifters as well as custom steering wheel buttons.

As I understand from this thread, the mounting bolt spacing on the dash beam would need to be modified to accommodate the wider bolt spacing of the 08 column. Any pics of how this was done?

Another issue seemed to be the fitment of the column into the firewall bushing. 08 column requires a white plastic adapter to account for it's smaller diameter. Is the rubber 05 bushing the same as the rubber 08 bushing and the white plastic adapter takes up the slack? I'm having trouble tracking down just this adapter piece and may need to make a custom one.

It appears the 06 upper dash trim below the instrument panel needs trimming for clearance of the larger 08 column cover.  The recessed portion of the trim looks similar between 06 & 08 in the posted photos but the back wall of the recess is different. This is the portion that would need to be trimmed I assume?

On 1/1/2023 at 2:19 PM, aero901 said:

I realize this is old, but did this swap ever get completed? Looking into doing this same swap on an 05 (08 column into a 05) to add paddle shifters as well as custom steering wheel buttons.

As I understand from this thread, the mounting bolt spacing on the dash beam would need to be modified to accommodate the wider bolt spacing of the 08 column. Any pics of how this was done?

Another issue seemed to be the fitment of the column into the firewall bushing. 08 column requires a white plastic adapter to account for it's smaller diameter. Is the rubber 05 bushing the same as the rubber 08 bushing and the white plastic adapter takes up the slack? I'm having trouble tracking down just this adapter piece and may need to make a custom one.

It appears the 06 upper dash trim below the instrument panel needs trimming for clearance of the larger 08 column cover.  The recessed portion of the trim looks similar between 06 & 08 in the posted photos but the back wall of the recess is different. This is the portion that would need to be trimmed I assume?

Looking at swapping mine as well. Except my situation is the opposite. Doing an 09 to 05 column, why...? My Legacy is... special ahaha.

I'm curious if I can just swap the top portion of the column. Where the clock spring sits? Going to tackle this soon.

Maybe we can work together to get this done?

What do you mean by "top portion" of the column? Goals for the swap?

The clock springs between 05-07 & 08-09 are different. I currently have an 08-09 clockspring and indicator housing mounted to a 05 column. The buttons work but the lower column cover will not fit because the indicator housing is larger to accommodate mounting paddle shifters. I doubt a 05-07 clockspring will fit a 08-09 column due to the larger diameter upper bearing housing on the 08-09 just before where the steering wheel attaches (see pic below - Left: 05-07 Right: 08-09).

IMG_3761.JPG.52dc0dcd8117e51e86972d7ed3d

Edited by aero901

You have an 08-09 clock spring mounted to an 05 column? How did you make that work? What about the large white connector? Did you have to repin it? There's far more pins on the 08-09 clock spring than the 05.

My goal is to have a working clock spring with working cruise. (09 column with 05 harness)

As my Legacy sits right now. It's an 09 body with 05 guts. (I had a full transplant done, the 05 body was rusted out) The only thing that wasn't swapped from 05 body to the 09 body was the steering column. So I don't have a clock spring installed at all since the diameter is different.

Sorry if it's confusing for ya. It's a Frankenstein LGT hence my name

I'll double check the clockspring. I'm pretty sure I installed the 08-09 one but now I'm second guessing myself... This was a 4-5 months ago so maybe I'm not remembering correctly. I didn't re-pin any connectors.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, this post is so useful! I’m glad someone else has tried this.

I have a 2005 legacy sti from Japan and I’m over 6ft so I also feel like my steering wheel is too far away… I’m wondering is it just possible to extend the 05 column that’s fitted in my car rather than trying to retrofit the 08-09 column? I don’t need to extend much, just an inch or so!

Any advice would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Stuart

3 hours ago, StuSam said:

I'm wondering is it just possible to extend the 05 column that’s fitted in my car rather than trying to retrofit the 08-09 column? I don’t need to extend much, just an inch or so!

It's definitely possible but you'll have to cut and weld an extension on the column. Unfortunately I can't give you any more in for since I had a different issue then what the OP had. I fixed mine without disassembling everything.

• 7 months later...

@FrankensteinLegacy How much of the wiring harness did you have to swap from the 2005 into the 2009? Did you have to swap all interior wiring? meaning pull up the carpet and remove the headliner, and swap all complete wiring? I really hope not.

If I were in your case I would keep the telescoping wheel, use the 2009 clock spring, just rewire it to your 2005 harness.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 1:49 PM, xekon said:

@FrankensteinLegacy How much of the wiring harness did you have to swap from the 2005 into the 2009? Did you have to swap all interior wiring? meaning pull up the carpet and remove the headliner, and swap all complete wiring? I really hope not.

If I were in your case I would keep the telescoping wheel, use the 2009 clock spring, just rewire it to your 2005 harness.

I was lucky enough that I was able to rewire the main white connector and haven't had any issues since. Just had to study the diagrams from both years to match up the correct wires.

2 hours ago, FrankensteinLegacy said:

I was lucky enough that I was able to rewire the main white connector and haven't had any issues since. Just had to study the diagrams from both years to match up the correct wires.

@FrankensteinLegacy That is great news that you got it working, I am still curious though, how much of the wiring harness did you have to swap when you put your 2005 stuff into the 2009?

Edited by xekon

18 hours ago, xekon said:

@FrankensteinLegacy That is great news that you got it working, I am still curious though, how much of the wiring harness did you have to swap when you put your 2005 stuff into the 2009?

The entire body harness, front to back had to be swapped in order for everything to work. It was a massive job and it's only possible with a donor car

• Like 1

@FrankensteinLegacy I am in the process of trying to wire up a 2008 roll connector to my 2005 Subaru because I am doing the steering column and dash beam upgrade. Could you please tell me where you found the wiring diagram for the different roll connectors?

4 hours ago, xekon said:

@FrankensteinLegacy I am in the process of trying to wire up a 2008 roll connector to my 2005 Subaru because I am doing the steering column and dash beam upgrade. Could you please tell me where you found the wiring diagram for the different roll connectors?

Yeah I found it on ShopKey. I had to go back and forth between the 08 and 05 diagrams to match the wires. Note that half the wires on the 08 roll won't be needed depending on your wheel set up. I'll try to remember to post the diagrams when I get home.

• Like 2