LegacyGT.com

Bad rusting under car

Ok so I live in CT so this is prob only really for those in snowy climates. I went to drive my car yesterday and heard a mettle rattling sound coming from under the front portion of the car. Ended up finding it was the front shield of the cat. A bolt holding it from the passenger side was missing. Looking at some other bolts under the car specifically exhaust system and I see lots of rust and bolts I fear will disintegrate at some point. Had to take the wheel off to add a random bolt I had to stop this noise and re-secure the shield. I am worried what if more break I don’t need any parts to start falling off the car on the highway. Should I pay to get the exhaust replaced now or see how things go I guess is the big question. The only part replaced so far is the muffler with nameless 5’axle back. I did look into headers and yes I know a tune would be needed but I’m worried about emissions with one less cat in the system. Also there is big cost to the headers with cat and then I got a quote to install with custom piping to connect a high flow cat being around $600 and they would be unwilling to do paperwork on this cash only. We are talking nearly 2k for parts labor and tune sounds like a hell of a lot of money for not much gains. The modest idea would be see what happens and replace parts as they do fail with oem piping.

The pics aren’t the best hard angle to work with under the car and all....

Rear cat guard bolt

https://i.imgur.com/hH2IB6U.jpg

Front cat guard missing bolt

https://i.imgur.com/oUtgiQD.jpg

New bolt

https://i.imgur.com/XAFygWJ.jpg

—————————————————

HPS intake, Nameless Axleback Exhaust, SSD FSB, Cusco RSB, 20mm rear sway bar, Voxx 18” rims, Infinity Kappa system,

More to come...

Honestly that's very normal with the heat shield bolts.

As for other bolts, don't sweat it, seriously. I've been watching this guy for years, and it's totally fine to see surface corrosion on the head of the bolt, and on any threads that are exposed. The body of the bolt that you can't see is usually spotless and plenty strong. (edit, forgot the link to his youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA)

I've lived in CT, MA, and now ME. My '09 legacy has 251k on it and I'm still rocking the stock exhaust with no issues. As part of a clutch job, apparently subaru dealers replace the exhaust bolts and springs, so my exhaust bolts have been replaced a few times, but I still wouldn't worry, or replace the exhaust until you absolutely have to.

Thanks that puts my mind at ease

—————————————————

HPS intake, Nameless Axleback Exhaust, SSD FSB, Cusco RSB, 20mm rear sway bar, Voxx 18” rims, Infinity Kappa system,

More to come...

With my previous Outback and current Legacy, I removed most of the heat shielding and added an aluminum skid plate.

Thanks that puts my mind at ease

—————————————————

More to come...

Thanks for the info did u fab ur skid plate or is this something that’s purchasable? Does it create more in cabin noise from the exhaust? I’d also wonder if salt would get trapped up in it and slowly eat away at any components above. By chance do u have any pics of ur install?

—————————————————

More to come...

Thanks for the info did u fab ur skid plate or is this something that’s purchasable? Does it create more in cabin noise from the exhaust? I’d also wonder if salt would get trapped up in it and slowly..

I purchased both skid plates from Primitive Racing, both without any cutouts for oil filter etc. Stuff still gets into that area of the engine, but I also spray the underbody at least once a week with water. I do not have pictures of the Outback, sold it a few years ago, but I'll post some of my 2.5gt later this week.