LegacyGT.com

Engine rebuild

My 07 LGT is dead due to an overheat problem. A $30 metal coolant line rusted and developed a pinhole leak which, by the time I could get off the highway, cooked the engine. I replaced the line and filled the cooling system and was able to start it. It was hard to start and eventually did but ran rough and had white smoke from the exhaust.

I made an appointment to have it take to IAG. I couldn't start it to get it on the tow truck and the guys at IAG couldn't get it to start either.

So, at what point does one just throw in the towel and move on? IAG wants $7K to install a used engine an $9K to rebuild mine. Personally, I dont see putting that kind of money into a 13 year old car.

Looking for thought and suggestions.

I put a stock block into mine when I killed mine. Had the heads rebuilt at a shop, did the rest of the work myself.

If you can't do the work yourself, there's usually some other shop that can do the work, there's a guy up here where I live that charges around $3200. Stock blocks are affordable and unless you're running big power, just go stock.

I'm slightly above stock power but it does just fine. Stock is good for what, 400 crank? 450? I forget. But it can handle plenty.

A performance shop up here quoted me around 9k for everything. That's how I found the guy who does it for $3200. Actually found him on a local Subaru Facebook group. I needed to redo all my oil components due to a spun bearing/seized engine, so I did it myself. Mostly just because I enjoy doing it and learning how.

Max Capacity told me to go with a stock block. I'm glad I did. It was worth it. In Alaska it was $2250-ish, but you southerners can get them for around $1750 I'm told.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: found a knowledgeable shop that didnt want to build a rally engine for me. Upon their inspection, the mechanic found coolant in the crankcase along with some other issues that make the engine rebuild/swap questionable at best.

Looks like I will be bringing it home and preparing it to post in the marketplace/vehicle for sale forum. If anyone has interest, PM me for a detailed history.

Did take it to a different shop. That's where they found the other issues which were a deal killer for putting money into it.

If I had the room to part it out and safely store the parts, I would have had it torn down by now. Maybe someone is looking for a donor vehicle.....

Working on preparing a post for the classified section of this forum. Stay tuned.

Did take it to a different shop. That's where they found the other issues which were a deal killer for putting money into it.

If I had the room to part it out and safely store the parts, I would have had it torn down by now. Maybe someone is looking for a donor vehicle.....

Working on preparing a post for the classified section of this forum. Stay tuned.

What made it a deal killer for you to fix it?